Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Language exemption?

Options
  • 15-05-2014 3:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

Alright, long story short, I have a minor learning disability that makes it quite difficult for me to grasp new languages. I had an exemption from doing a third language in secondary school. Anyway, I never finished and I'm planning on going back, I'm only 17 now, so mature student rules will not apply. I've made the decision to do Irish, as I feel I'm closing too many doors without it, but I don't think I'd be able for 2 languages, especially since I'd be taking up a third language completely from scratch. Does anyone know how hard language exemptions are to get at UCD? Given my learning disability, if I meet all the other criteria, would I have a decent shot at getting a course that requires a third language? In particular, the two main courses I'd consider possibilities that require a third language are medicine and physio, and I know these courses are hard enough to get into even with a third language. Has anyone had any experience of getting into either of these courses without a language?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭lajoie

Hi OP,

I'm not hugely informed on this topic, but I'd suggest perhaps the DSS on campus would be able to give you some guidance. They help students who have a wide variety of disabilities, offering a lot of support around exams and assessments etc. If you search "Disability Support Service" on the ucd website, you'll find their contact details.

There's also a programme for students who are coming from school with disabilities that is definitely worth looking into as it can offer points deductions etc. I think it's called DARE. You'll need to apply to them asap with the CAO as far as I know.

Finally, for general information, contacting the school offices that appeal to you might help, or the UCD Student Desk in Tierney (again, all contact info is on the website, but if you have trouble PM me and I'll send them on)

Remember, with thousands of students per year, they'll definitely have dealt with similar queries in the past so I'm sure there'll be a way around it :) Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I'd second contacting the DSS office in UCD. They're very helpful and will be able to deal with your specific queries re. learning requirements and possible supports. Here are the list of contact details: http://www.ucd.ie/openingworlds/ucdaccesscentre/accesscentrestaffcontacts/

Advertisement