Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's an idea for someone with the drive,Million Guaranteed i believe

Options
  • 15-05-2014 4:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

I have lived and worked on and off in this place for the last few years
    It's vegetarian and teetotal
    It;s hot
    it's got a population of over two million
    it's got one public swimming pool
    It's got too many poor people
    it's got lots of rich people
    It's a University city with the main University having more than 35000 yes thirty five thousand students.....English being the teaching medium.
    What is there to do in this city for all these western aspiring students ? Nothing except to show their individuality by wearing levi's or going to McDonalds or Subway and wearing T shirts for bands most of them will never get to see.
    A lot of them (probably most) drink illegal hooch just to overcome the boredom.
    What's the guaranteed million making idea i hear you ask ?
    Before i answer i will tell you that this venture would be most suited to people that have experience in setting up hospitality businesses abroad and even though i know i have seen virgin territory i also realise that it's not my area of expertise....On to the idea

Take the Irish pub experience and bring it to this city .....probably many times over.
    No Beer or alcohol but coffee ,Tea, soft drinks and local/traditional refreshments done to a high quality.
    Soft chairs , soft lighting, rock memorabilia and posters and most importantly good rock music sounds mixed with local heroes sounds.Believe me when i tell you that the queues will be very very long because it's what they crave ,but the local culture is not wise to it yet and if it was, it would not have the magic touch of the foreign experience.
    If you've ever been to Geoffs in Waterford or Whelans in Dublin you will get the idea.
    I have lived in this place and know that anyone driven enough or adventurous enough to pioneer this venture is guaranteed to succeed.....but knowing the business is essential.
    This is not a dangerous part of the world (very safe) but (cheap) bribery is commonplace and this should be factored in.
    How do i come in ?
    I've lived there ,I have a network of honest friends and former neighbours that can provide advice, Proper solicitors, drivers,translators ....this is whats keeping the rest of the world away.
    If this sounds like an adventure you're prepared to take PM me with bona fides
    and i will fill in the blanks for you

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Scaldy Ned wrote: »
    It;s hot
    It's a University city with the main University having more than 35000 yes thirty five thousand students.....English being the teaching medium.
    What is there to do in this city for all these western aspiring students ? Nothing except to show their individuality by wearing levi's or going to McDonalds or Subway and wearing T shirts for bands most of them will never get to see.
    Before i answer i will tell you that this venture would be most suited to people that have experience in setting up hospitality businesses abroad and even though i know i have seen virgin territory i also realise that it's not my area of expertise....On to the idea

Take the Irish pub experience and bring it to this city .....probably many times over.
    No Beer or alcohol but coffee ,Tea, soft drinks and local/traditional refreshments done to a high quality.
    Soft chairs , soft lighting, rock memorabilia and posters and most importantly good rock music sounds mixed with local heroes sounds.
    If you've ever been to Geoffs in Waterford or Whelans in Dublin you will get the idea.
    I have lived in this place and know that anyone driven enough or adventurous enough to pioneer this venture is guaranteed to succeed.....but knowing the business is essential.
    This is not a dangerous part of the world but (cheap) bribery is commonplace and this should be factored in.
    How do i come in ?
    I've lived there ,I have a network of honest friends and former neighbours that can provide advice, Proper solicitors, drivers,translators ....this is whats keeping the rest of the world away.

Interesting...in the pub trade 15 years would love to hear of a new venture

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

Dubai?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Scaldy Ned

m.j.w wrote: »
    Dubai?

No

As i say virgin territory.....Dubai has got probably the most expensive Irish pubs in the world .....9 euro a pint last time i was there......Not Dubai.....you would have to be more adventurous than that....as i said pioneer country

sasta le wrote: »
    Interesting...in the pub trade 15 years would love to hear of a new venture

Fine
    Sleep on it and PM me if you're interested . This is not for the feint hearted but it;s not a warzone or anything like that....It's just a peaceful part of the world where the Irish are not really prominent.
    The upside ? It's a European friendly place but alcohol is not allowed (not Pakistan or Muslim btw) because of this there is no pub culture and this leaves tens of thousands of university students looking for a new experience.....somewhere they can mix and talk in the evening time
    It's an exciting prospect and i'm not bull****ting but if you're a tyrekicker don't contact me please.
    This will need money, guile and adventurism

A country that has a ban on alcohol but is not Muslim/Islamic? I can't think of one in the world!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

And what would you expect out of the arrangement?

The other party would be putting in time and money.

What would you expect for your idea and contacts? A couple of grand or a 1 or 2 % ownership?

A country that has a ban on alcohol but is not Muslim/Islamic? I can't think of one in the world!

Sounds like India, with maybe an area with local law banning alcohol. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Selling nothing but non-alcoholic drinks will result in low margin. Most hotels and country clubs make their money from high-margin alcoholic drinks. Plus the country you are talking about probably isnt open to foreign investors eg like Saudi Arabia

Any developing country I have been to there was always enough rich locals to ensure most profitable business opportunities were already being exploited

hfallada wrote: »
    Selling nothing but non-alcoholic drinks will result in low margin.

Tell that to starbucks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

It;s hot

Soft chairs , soft lighting, rock memorabilia and posters and most importantly good rock music sounds mixed with local heroes sounds.Believe me when i tell you that the queues will be very very long because it's what they crave ,but the local culture is not wise to it yet and if it was, it would not have the magic touch of the foreign experience.
    This is not a dangerous part of the world (very safe) but (cheap) bribery is commonplace and this should be factored in.
    How do i come in ?

Reads like a city in india.

If it has McDonald's and subway then it's not virgin territory.
    If they can get past the bribery and arrange solicitors, translators, drivers etc. then thats not a problem for the next person and clearly the rest of the world has not been kept away.
    Guaranteed million, are you underwriting the guarantee? What investment is needed, 5k, 50k, 5 million?

Why guarantee 1 million, why not 2 or 5 or 10 million?

Sounds like a pretty bad idea tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Tell that to starbucks...

Which is a multi-billion dollar business that uses branding to reenforce that its a premium product and spends tens of millions on marketing. How is a cafe in the middle of no where going to have a massive advertising budget to support its premium prices? It wont. Luxury goods take a massive marketing budget support their high prices eg Chanel

smcgiff wrote: »
    And what would you expect out of the arrangement?

The other party would be putting in time and money.

What would you expect for your idea and contacts? A couple of grand or a 1 or 2 % ownership?

I would expect to work my nuts off to help get it up and running.
    I would expect to be involved in every stage ,including interviewing and vetting possible staff.
    I would expect to be responsible for finding the right legal people,The right area.
    I would expect to be the one to find the right Drivers,Translators,Estate agents, Travel agents.
    I would expect to be involved in making the investment as sound as possible.
    I would expect to make every minute of what i've learned in this place count for something beneficial both for the investor and the customer.
    I would expect the investor to realise that it would never have happened without me and to acknowledge same from day one and not to say "i don't need him anymore" when all the contacts have been made and issues sorted.
    That's what i would expect

hfallada wrote: »
    Which is a multi-billion dollar business that uses branding to reenforce that its a premium product and spends tens of millions on marketing. How is a cafe in the middle of no where going to have a massive advertising budget to support its premium prices? It wont. Luxury goods take a massive marketing budget support their high prices eg Chanel

You said theres no margin in non alcoholic drinks. Tea and Coffee is how most coffee shops make their margin. So your completely backwards with your logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Can the items you want to sell be sourced locally? Do they sell at a premium?

And no reward?

With that said, you do seem to be willing to put more into it than my original understanding.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭scwazrh

is it kingdom of Jordan by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Sounds like India to me.

jhegarty wrote: »
    Sounds like India to me.

Like i said , this is not a quiz ,,,,,,Yes it is a Region of India.....but India seen from a unique perspective and viewpoint.....That of an Irish guy who's viewed it from an objective angle over a lengthy period of time.
    This business can only come from an Irish involvement and influence.That will be it's Attraction and drawing power.
    Here's a site for you to ponder.....Most people will read through this site and say "so" Business people will read through this site and say...why aren't these 35000 kids being catered to ?
    You judge

http://www.msubaroda.ac.in/

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

I would expect the investor to realise that it would never have happened without me and to acknowledge same from day one and not to say "i don't need him anymore" when all the contacts have been made and issues sorted.

Don't for a minute think that a business minded person will keep you in the loop just because "they owe you one" or some sort of gentlemans agreement. If you can put a value on what you're offering be it a % or payment then get it agreed from the outset.

I think you could be onto something. I've seen places like that too where local businesses just don't understand that a ceratin set up would do well. Maybe you should get in touch with some Irish based Indian business men, they may feel more comfortable investing there.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

What planet are you currently orbiting Ned? Is it one that I'm familiar with?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I'm on a phone so can't get links handily but basically India just isn't a good location for small (and even large corporations) foreign investors for a variety of legal, cultural and tax reasons. An operation like the op's proposal wouldn't pay out his promised million quid for about 200 years.

sabat wrote: »
    I'm on a phone so can't get links handily but basically India just isn't a good location for small (and even large corporations) foreign investors for a variety of legal, cultural and tax reasons. An operation like the op's proposal wouldn't pay out his promised million quid for about 200 years.

That could well be true....But i don;t think so....It's probably as dear for a cup of Barista Coffee as it is here, The overheads are probably 5-700% cheaper....Taxes etc ...i don't know !.
    I understand the nature of forums and how it draws the naysayers who's mission is to show they know better because of whatever. That's not what this post is about,,,,in saying this you may well be right....But i don't think so.
    I may be wrong but i'm guessing from your username that you may have Indian links ? if so you may well have access to information that i don't but i still hold fast to my idea....In the four years i was there, four McDonalds have opened,Four Subways have opened, 5 or 6 Barista's have opened....These are the corporate franchises and are ever expanding.......They are doing well but what it really shows is that there's an appetite now for something new and different. I'm not here to argue a case ....I've presented the situation it's up to more clued in people than me to weigh up the odds

Moomat wrote: »
    Don't for a minute think that a business minded person will keep you in the loop just because "they owe you one" or some sort of gentlemans agreement. If you can put a value on what you're offering be it a % or payment then get it agreed from the outset.

I think you could be onto something. I've seen places like that too where local businesses just don't understand that a ceratin set up would do well. Maybe you should get in touch with some Irish based Indian business men, they may feel more comfortable investing there.

I agree with you totally.
    The tradition of Indian Business people has been to go abroad to establish themselves and after four years of living there on and off , i have the greatest respect for what millions of them have achieved. But what surprised me a lot when i was there was the failure to see the opportunities available in probably the fastest growing economy in the world.
    It's a great country , the people are great ....kind,friendly,generous and caring but have become used to getting the **** end of the stick.
    A bit like Ireland in the 70's .....I remember going to England on the ferry back then and having to stand in a cold wet shed and wait to board....like it or lump it.....Would anyone do that or expect that now ? Well for the most part that's the way most Indians are treated at the moment with the added complication of the Caste system....This where i'm coming from.
    I'd like to help set up a business franchise that sweeps all this aside.
    Irish based Indian business people would be in the perfect position to understand this......or any business people capable of seeing the big picture.
    Easy ? probably not
    Complicated ? probably yes
    Rewarding ?...I think definitely in all aspects
    I have developed a love for India , it's got under my skin and i would love to go back and help contribute to the new and upcoming culture. I put this post up so that this idea doesn't keep rattling round my head and i can say at least i put it out there. Someone someday will do it and best of luck to them. To all budding entrepreneurs, there's still pioneer country out there...go have a look.
    Scaldy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Ned I assume you have written up a business plan for this that has tested some of your assumptions?

While I think it's a good idea. I reckon it's not one for a foreign investor.

Your plan would need to address

What are the residency rules for business ownership
    Council taxs.
    Employee law
    Import taxes
    Tenancy rates
    Insurance
    Health certificates
    Are there any local mafia in the area?
    Who do you need to pay off.
    What guarantees have you in relation to staying in business.
    What are the immediate competitors.

Indian youth in my experience love top brands, how will your brand fare.
    How knowledgable are indian youth about irish pub culture?

In both cases if you think you can or you think you can't your right.

Zambia wrote: »
    Ned I assume you have written up a business plan for this that has tested some of your assumptions?

While I think it's a good idea. I reckon it's not one for a foreign investor.

Your plan would need to address

What are the residency rules for business ownership (don't know, But McDonalds, Subway and Barista are there)
    Council taxs. (Don't know)
    Employee law (Very pro employer......which i disagree with)
    Import taxes (Complicated and bribe driven)
    Tenancy rates (Don't know.....But all rates i'm familiar with are a fraction of western rates)
    Insurance (as with any business anywhere i assume)
    Health certificates (Don't know)
    Are there any local mafia in the area? (Most likely but police are very open to cheap bribery so i suppose whichevers cheaper ?)
    Who do you need to pay off. (as above......In my experience the council always needs to be paid off.......otherwise no electricity)
    What guarantees have you in relation to staying in business. (Is there such a thing for any business ?.........The best you can say is providing a unique rewarding experience available to 35000 students in a city of 2 million plus......and thats only the students)
    What are the immediate competitors......(Honestly ,if i had seen anything in my four years there that was even contemplating to this market i would not have started this post.......i have explained that the main players are McDonalds, Subway and Barista .)
    I hope that i have been honest enough with my answers and not tried to bull**** anyone.
    From now on i am not playing 40 questions anymore......If you've not been put off by the truths above PM me

Indian youth in my experience love top brands, how will your brand fare.
    How knowledgable are indian youth about irish pub culture? .......It's not the issue , The issue is providing a relaxing ,comfortable ,rewarding experience that provides a good night out that doesn't involve queuing up for a half hour to get a substandard meal that lasts 5 minutes and then realising you've been exploited to the extreme

In both cases if you think you can or you think you can't your right.

Anyway i think i've now given up the ghost and shown nearly all my cards so if anyone is in a position to rob the idea please do it properly and not half arsed.....people will always recognise half arsed sooner or later
    Good luck

Anyway i think i've now given up the ghost and shown nearly all my cards so if anyone is in a position to rob the idea please do it properly and not half arsed.....people will always recognise half arsed sooner or later
    Good luck

Mate the only question I am asking is have you written a business plan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

Why would anyone with the required skill-set and talent for such a business bother their a** going to some God forsaken hole in India to open such a business?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

pedronomix wrote: »
    Why would anyone with the required skill-set and talent for such a business bother their a** going to some God forsaken hole in India to open such a business?

Exactly, even today you can go into countless towns in Ireland and spot an obvious opportunity for a bar / restaurant / McDonalds / Supermacs / Mobile phone shop / Undertakers / Centra / Subway / Supervalu / hair salon / plant hire etc. etc.

There are plenty of opportunities here for business people who have enough COLD HARD CASH, not to be bothered with India.

The key word is cold hard cash. If somebody has enough they might as well cautiously purchase buildings here, renovate them and open an outlet, rather than risk it some mad adventure to India.

Zambia wrote: »
    Mate the only question I am asking is have you written a business plan?

Sorry bud ...that wasn't aimed at you....a very legitimate question and the answer is no. This is where i fall down, i don't have a business brain really, or perhaps i'm just too lazy.
    If i were a true Entrepreneur i'd have used all these contacts to source items there and sell them here ......It's the Bureaucracy that put's me off. When i hear business plan i glaze over ,that's why i put up the thread.....Horses for courses and all that
    Cheers

• Advertisement

Sorry bud ...that wasn't aimed at you....a very legitimate question and the answer is no. This is where i fall down, i don't have a business brain really, or perhaps i'm just too lazy.
    If i were a true Entrepreneur i'd have used all these contacts to source items there and sell them here ......It's the Bureaucracy that put's me off. When i hear business plan i glaze over ,that's why i put up the thread.....Horses for courses and all that
    Cheers

Understandable but essentially it's a must. Being forced to examine every aspect of the idea can be exiting when you realise "**** me this might work". Not to mention the relief when on paper you realise you could have spent years wasting your life on 3 rupees an hour that never amounts to anything.

This thread was a good step you saw how others can attack your idea like the world will attack your business.

Ideas are awesome but execution makes the grade.

Advertisement