Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heineken Green Energy Weekend Memories

Options
  • 15-05-2014 8:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭

Used to love this back in the day, every May bank holiday weekend in Dublin and usually the June Bank Holiday Weekend in Galway and Cork.

Dublin Castle was a brilliant Amphitheatre, and the whole buzz around the city centre over the weekend was fantastic

Memorable gigs for me were

Charlatans/Gomez/JJ72 in Dublin Castle May 2000
    Manic Street Preachers/JJ72 in Smithfield May 2001
    Muse/The Hives in Dublin Castle May 2002

I think they should bring it back!

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Only ever went to one and that was Kasabian/The Blizzards(:mad::mad:) and Future Kings Of Spain. Yea agree i loved the atmosphere in Dublin Castle , you can see where Belsonic got the idea from id say

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Muse/The Hives in Dublin Castle May 2002
    The hives were set to play the olympia, without muse. Then they changed to dublin castle with muse now headlining. If you bought hives tickets you were given the option to transfer to the new venue or get a refund. Since the hives was already sold out, or at least a lot sold, it meant there were very few tickets for muse and they were like gold dust for muse fans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heineken_Green_Energy

Bud rising was a similar idea, bands heavily sponsored by an alcohol seller so a big reduction in price to the punters, with only their drinks on sale in most of the venues. Very similar idea to arthurs day but there was no huge backlash against heineken or budweiser. I kept bring this up in the numerous anti-arthurs day threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Detroit day was the best.

White Stripes, Dirtbombs, Von Bondies, Detroit Cobras.

Still remember having 'Boll weevil' in my head for many hours after.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I was at all of the 2002 gigs in Dublin castle. They were class. Detroit day was awesome and muse/hives was one of the best gigs I was ever at (despite 'the revs')

"We are The Hives! You Love us!"

on the Monday there was a riot happening outside 'The battle of dame street' so there was a garda helicopter hovering over the venue for an hour or two while the gardai were attacking my friends outside (I was supposed to be at that protest but I had tickets to the gig so I skipped it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

I quite liked Smithfield as a venue

Damn the residents complaining

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

The charlatans and Gomez was back in 2000? Dang, how old am I?! Quality gig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

theteal wrote: »
    The charlatans and Gomez was back in 2000? Dang, how old am I?! Quality gig.

14 years ago

Crazy, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭ned rierson

Detroit day was the best.

White Stripes, Dirtbombs, Von Bondies, Detroit Cobras.

Still remember having 'Boll weevil' in my head for many hours after.

detroit cobras didnt play

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Texas Jack

Wonder if they'll ever bring this back

With no Arthurs Day any more there's definitely a gap in the market

Would LOVE it

Feeling all nostalgic here in work

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

2002 : The Soundtrack Of Our Lives in the Temple Bar Music Centre. Fantastic gig ....

2002 : Muse / The Hives .... I was only there for The Hives. They were great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Texas Jack wrote: »
    Wonder if they'll ever bring this back

With no Arthurs Day any more there's definitely a gap in the market

Would LOVE it

Feeling all nostalgic here in work

Never at any of them but Dublin Castle sounds like a great venue.

Seemed like a very popular event - any idea why it stopped?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Texas Jack

marvin80 wrote: »
    Never at any of them but Dublin Castle sounds like a great venue.

Seemed like a very popular event - any idea why it stopped?

No Idea

I know the residents in Smithfield were complaining about the gigs in 2001 but it still carried on as a festival for another 3 years

• Registered Users Posts: 25,458 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Morrissey played a great show in Dublin Castle... 2004 ? Lovely summers evening and again like others have said.. a great venue for a gig.. top atmosphere... He was touring You Are the Quarry at the Time which is a modern favorite of his for me and worked very well live... plus a few old classics....

Another crazy fun gig was also Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros in 2000 at the Olympia... the crowds at the end refused to leave...

Advertisement