Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free uni tuition fees in Scotland

Options
  • 15-05-2014 9:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭

I've heard time and time again that Irish passport holders get free university fees in Scotland. I've searched the internet for it and this website lays it out pretty clearly - fees are roughly £1800 and can be paid by the SAAS (provided youre not from rUK). However I feel like there's a catch, or something I'm not reading here. Does anyone have more information on this or experiences they can share?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

turnikett1 wrote: »
    I've heard time and time again that Irish passport holders get free university fees in Scotland. I've searched the internet for it and this website lays it out pretty clearly - fees are roughly £1800 and can be paid by the SAAS (provided youre not from rUK). However I feel like there's a catch, or something I'm not reading here. Does anyone have more information on this or experiences they can share?

Thanks!

As far as I know it's not so much about passport as residency and being an EU citizen. EU rules state you must be treated the same as locals regarding 3rd level education. There is a loophole whereby Soctand is allowed charge Welsh an English residents more. However Irish resudents and French, Italian etc. are treated the same as local Scotish residents.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

So it is true then, there's no catch? Fees are £1800 and if you meet the eligibility its paid for you? Sounds pretty good to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

No catch as long as it's an undergraduate degree and it's your first time going to university. They are trying to get this loophole closed though due to the amount of people from other countries choosing to study there because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

I am currently enrolled in NUIG, although I've deferred my last 2 years. It's not working out for me so I was hoping to start fresh. I guess that disqualifies me then?

turnikett1 wrote: »
    I am currently enrolled in NUIG, although I've deferred my last 2 years. It's not working out for me so I was hoping to start fresh. I guess that disqualifies me then?

It's a while since I looked into it so it might be that it has to be your first undergraduate degree, as in you never completed one before, I'm not completely sure now I think about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

No catch as long as it's an undergraduate degree and it's your first time going to university. They are trying to get this loophole closed though due to the amount of people from other countries choosing to study there because of it.

It's not a loophole though :S
    You can go to any EU country and be treated as a local.

enda1 wrote: »
    It's not a loophole though :S
    You can go to any EU country and be treated as a local.

I thought I read somewhere it was. Either way Scotland are trying to change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭d_jordan

I'm currently living in Glasgow, I'm not a student but I've met a lot of international student's and when I ask why they chose Glasgow to study they all gave this reason

Advertisement