Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Growing up in Ireland

• 15-05-2014 10:21am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭

OK, so there's a lot of negativity around Ireland these days, but on this, I'm sure some of ye remember more than I can. Come on. :pac:

The council's mobile library
    Audiobooks on tape cassettes
    Anne and Barry books
    Wallpaper on your school books, plus chalk and blackboards
    Having feck all TV channels
    Making your own entertainment
    Bosco
    The school bus fare cost 25p, or having 10p meant you could buy some sweets/chocolate

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Penny sweets cost a penny.
    Money was HUGE!!!!!
    Playing for kerbsies for hours on end.
    Girls playing hopscotch.
    EVERYONE had a bike
    Recording music off the radio
    School disco's (me mate want's to know if you wanna dance)

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Kaycee2

Summertime was always sunny
    Having no sense of time, you only went home when it got dark
    Trips to Mosney
    A hot bottle of Country Spring Cream Soda on the beach that the whole family swigged out of
    Walkmans
    Seeing Michael Jackson in concert(from across the river)
    Getting the honour of handing out the milk from the lunch bucket in school
    The damp smell in the cloakroom in school with all the wet coats steaming together
    Buying penny pages from the school shop or 3p for a coloured one
    Buying a bar or a packet of crisps and the rest in jellies
    Playing Giant Steps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Saturday night baths.
    Visitors to the house house and your ma putting good biscuits on a plate.
    Getting called by a neighbour to go to the shop for them (usually for smokes) and getting paid 10p for it.
    Endless games of rounders in the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Saturday night baths.
    Visitors to the house house and your ma putting good biscuits on a plate.
    Getting called by a neighbour to go to the shop for them (usually for smokes) and getting paid 10p for it.
    Endless games of rounders in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Penny bars
    Taytos 2 pence a packet
    No plastic wrapping or bags in shops everything was wrapped in brown paper or brown paper bags.
    Glass bottles that when returned you got 2p for each bottle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Being a short drive away from the beach. My mam had summers off and would cart us out every fine day she could, and my dad would cycle out after work for a picnic dinner. Daily event in the summer!

Building sand castles and sand cars and sand boats :D And when mam would get fed up of us and threaten to make us go play games with the Christian youth workers unless we behaved :pac:

For sure took it for granted, work with a lot of Polish people now who's first weekend plans in Ireland are to see the first beach of their lives!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Playing queenie eye oh.

Having the honour of banging the dusters outside or ringing the school bell.

Gigantic bottles of country spring cola.

Mammy's always throwing on a few extra spuds just in case there's visitors at dinner time.

If you've an exam, don't worry, 'I'll say a prayer for ya'. Or 'I'll light a penny candle for you' if it's a big exam like the junior cert or leaving cert.

Every house had a pair of 'good' scissors that you weren't allowed to use. Ever.

Playing with elastics (anyone remember the coloured ones all tied together and you put around your legs for those jumping games?! "Robin and his merry men, went to school at half past ten, teacher said you're late again, Robin and his merry men". "Dracula and his sister Kate, went to school at half past 8, teacher said you're never late, Dracula and his sister Kate" etc :P)

Collecting conkers.

Sports day, the highlight always being tug of war.

Being crammed into the school shelters on a rainy day.

Getting to go on mini-trips (down the road :P But over a windy bridge!!) to practice for your communion and confirmation.

Playing the tin whistle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Bubble cars which ended up being banned in our school because of an incident with a banana skin while cornering :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭masonchat

The Beat Box 2fm on a sunday wow the radio is on the telly

saturday morning cartoons

Dempseys Den especially the xmass specials

Live at 3 , Dead by 4 on tv when get home from school

Buget day the longest day in the world to a child with no other channels

atari 2600

cut grass always reminds me of school tours and sports day

the fall guy ,magnum p i , heart to heart ,charlies angels, the A team , simon and simon, hard castle and mc cormach , macgyver, the equalizer, fame ,golden girls, and on and on gummy bears, sports billy ,he man ,defenders of the earth ,captain planet ,hendersons creek, jo maxi. home and away,forthy coats, wonderly wagon, teenage mutant ninja turtles, different strokes, silverspoons, alf, dallas, dynasty, falcon crest, knight rider , bay watch,

you knew the weekend was over when glenrow started , and still no homework done

next day hey can i copy your maths

So many good ones above in earlier posts remember them all, different times , we had no much but were so happy, and you really enjoyed the treats/good times/ weekends , we were so active , but boy do i remember time dragging sometimes, a bad day could feel like a month

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

Woppa bars (cola and mint) and they cost 5p.

Tangy bars (10p - do they still produce these?).

All the shops in town closed on a Sunday.

Going with my Mom to Quinnsworth while she did the weekly shopping on a Friday night.

Various ice pops and ice creams you can't get anymore. (e.g. scribblers, sky, apple splits from Dunnes).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Jeefff

I remember Dennis Taylors glasses, and having to drown a bag of kittens..
    That's all I remember

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

Getting about £20 from relatives the day of my communion.

Nearly all the kids in my class having the same runners and PE tracksuits from Dunnes.

Pajo's Junkbox. Professor Know-it-all. Zig and Zag.

Same Christmas ads, year after year.

That spelling book from Fallon's with the white cover with the green and black writing on it.

Advertisement