Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to speed up composting

• 15-05-2014 11:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I have two compost bins out the back that i fill with hedge trimmings when i do my back garden, i also fill it with cut grass...

they fill up quite quickly so i'm just wondering if anyone has any advice on speeding up the composting process?.... im a complete newbie!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,847 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

beware of the cut grass, that you don't create a smelly sludge. it should only be added in moderation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Ideally you would be mixing greens with browns (leaves, paper, cardboard, twiggy material etc.)
    Turning the heap will add air which is necessary. Cutting everything up small also helps, you can run you mower over leaves for example. But if you just have lots of greens, especially grass, it can just turn into a sludgey mess as mentioned. Too wet and lacking in air. The micro-organisms responsible for composting cant survive in that environment.
    So cut stuff up small and mix layers of green and brown. Turn the heap every so often.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Add urine or animal dung(ruminant only)...it will speed it up provided everything else is in place ie proportions,air etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

As well as everyone else said about the basics of your carbon/nitrogen ratio etc, Comfrey is supposed to be an effective compost activator. I've seen it growing near the river, and it's in flower now so easy to spot. I have it growing in my garden from a root cutting I obtained. It's handy to have but can be invasive. I only use it to make liquid fertiliser so far but the plant is getting big now so I must start adding it to the compost bin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

thanks for the tips guys

• Advertisement
Advertisement