Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking courses.

Options
  • 15-05-2014 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭

Hi, I decided to look for a good cooking course that would then allow me to start in the industry.

My only restrictions are the two kids under 3yrs and the fact that my wifes working hours are 9-6.

I know there is food course in DIT but full time course over x years might not be feasible.

Till the end of this year we are much more flexible with the time (maternity leave) so I am thinking I should try and do something now.

I am thinking of doing the 12 week Ballymaloe with a hope that it could allow me to start somewhere in a junior position but at least with some knowledge.

Are there any other courses that I should consider? Im in my early 30s and would like to change ma career so I really have one go at it (now) so would like to make the most of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,436 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Having been in the same position, early 30s kids etc, I was in the same predicament and went and did the 12 week course in ballymaloe. That was 4 years ago and I've been working solidly in the industry since and am now head chef. With that in mind, If you want to jump career quickly I'd recommend just starting at commis in a restaurant straight away, you're not gonna get paid any better having done a course anywhere. Get yourself some whites, go in and talk to a head chef in a restaurant and ask to pick up a couple of shifts , they'll give you a trial if you're lucky. Just follow these few tips...
    Keep your eyes and ears open at all times, especially if someone shouts "Back" behind you.

Work as quickly as possible, keep your workspace very tidy, keep your elbows in. (ratatouille is very good for this advice)

Forget everything you know beforehand but don't be afraid to ask, if you're asked to do a task, how they want it done. Also forget any labour laws.

Follow these and you won't find a more rewarding job, and you won't find a more delicious beer then the one after a balls-to-the-wall service

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

duploelabs wrote: »
    Having been in the same position, early 30s kids etc, I was in the same predicament and went and did the 12 week course in ballymaloe.

And how did you find the course itself. Did it bring your home cooking game to another level?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,436 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

omri wrote: »
    And how did you find the course itself. Did it bring your home cooking game to another level?

Sent you a pm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

I'd be interested to hear the answer to this too, as pretty soon I'm going to be jobless and looking for a chance to start at something along these lines.
    The Ballymaloe course is an option I've been looking at but it's pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bizzyb

Hi, I decided to look for a good cooking course that would then allow me to start in the industry.

My only restrictions are the two kids under 3yrs and the fact that my wifes working hours are 9-6.

I know there is food course in DIT but full time course over x years might not be feasible.

Till the end of this year we are much more flexible with the time (maternity leave) so I am thinking I should try and do something now.

I am thinking of doing the 12 week Ballymaloe with a hope that it could allow me to start somewhere in a junior position but at least with some knowledge.

Are there any other courses that I should consider? Im in my early 30s and would like to change ma career so I really have one go at it (now) so would like to make the most of it.

First of all if this is what you really want don't let anything stop you,I'm similar to yourself,early 30's married with 3 young kids and i am starting a 3 year degree in culinary arts in AIT in September & after the hell hole me and my family have been in for the past 2 years due to unemployment i for one can't wait to get started. My goal is to run my own cafe/bistro by 40 & nothing will stop me,determination is a great thing!I don't think for one second it will be easy but anything is better than my current situation. In your case if really want to fast track yourself the Ballymaloe course is a great option but ridiculously expensive,another option is some of the IT's run a 9 month total immersion chef programme in conjunction with Bord Failte,not sure which colleges run it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement