Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most Uninteresting Fact Of The Day

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭xbox360

"I've got a golden ticket.
    I've got a golden ticket.
    I've got a golden ticket and......."

Manure : In the 16th and 17th centuries, everything had to be transported by ship and it was also before the invention of commercial fertilizers, so large shipments of manure were quite common.

It was shipped dry, because in dry form it weighed a lot less than when wet, but once water (at sea) hit it, not only did it become heavier, but the process of fermentation began again, of which a by product is methane gas of course.. As the stuff was stored below decks in bundles you can see what could (and did) happen.
    Methane began to build up below decks and the first time someone came below at night with a lantern, BOOM!
    Several ships were destroyed in this manner before it was determined just what was happening
    After that, the bundles of manure were always stamped with the instruction ' Stow high in transit ' on them, which meant for the sailors to stow it high enough off the lower decks so that any water that came into the hold would not touch this volatile cargo and start the production of methane.

Thus evolved the term ' S.H.I.T ' , (Stow High In Transit) which has come down through the centuries and is in use to this very day.

You probably did not know the true history of this word.

Neither did I.

I had always thought it was a golf term!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

My 18 month old daughter is in the corner crouched down making a poo (in her nappy)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There was an election on Friday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

I was reading the Triathlon thread. Reading the thread is enough exercise before you ask.

Apparently there is a "No nipple rule" during transitions that applies to men and women just to be fair and equal :P

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057214921

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Sometimes when I fart on the toilet, I poop too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

Run to go faster than walking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Americans call sweets 'candy'.

As usual, they are wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

The colour of Toilet Paper bought in the shop has no bearing on how it feels to your bum.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

Manure : In the 16th and 17th centuries, everything had to be transported by ship and it was also before the invention of commercial fertilizers, so large shipments of manure were quite common.

It was shipped dry, because in dry form it weighed a lot less than when wet, but once water (at sea) hit it, not only did it become heavier, but the process of fermentation began again, of which a by product is methane gas of course.. As the stuff was stored below decks in bundles you can see what could (and did) happen.
    Methane began to build up below decks and the first time someone came below at night with a lantern, BOOM!
    Several ships were destroyed in this manner before it was determined just what was happening
    After that, the bundles of manure were always stamped with the instruction ' Stow high in transit ' on them, which meant for the sailors to stow it high enough off the lower decks so that any water that came into the hold would not touch this volatile cargo and start the production of methane.

Thus evolved the term ' S.H.I.T ' , (Stow High In Transit) which has come down through the centuries and is in use to this very day.

Neither did I.

Why is there an interesting fact in this thread? Post reported.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

When water freezes it actually expands -- oops, is that too interesting ? Sorry!

water starts to expand at 4 degrees

i don't know how to type that little circle that means degrees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

donegal. wrote: »
    i don't know how to type that little circle that means degrees.

°
    Just for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭saucyleopard

I must have been smarter when I was younger because in my teens I knew it all and now in my forties I can see how little I actually know! Did I forget it all as I got older?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

It's Summer.

It's a wet Summer.

fyp :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

Nobody knows what the SYS REQ key on a PC keyboard does.
    Even if they now go and look up the Wiki entry they still won't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

At the moment I am sitting on a balcony typing this and looking across at morocco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

realies wrote: »
    At the moment I am sitting on a balcony typing this and looking across at morocco.

Wrong thread, that's at least jealousy-inducing and at most mildly interesting :D

superglue melts styrofoam

• Advertisement

I cycle through seven sets of traffic lights on the way to work. Sometimes I even stop.

I stubbed a toe and my pedicure is ruined. :(

It was a dark red too, easily noticed. Its ruined my day, but I'll try cope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Donegal broken up reads done gal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

donegal. wrote: »
    superglue melts styrofoam

Acetone dissolves superglue.

Care to parley further?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

Did you know

'Xpose girls are more glam than me' – Lucy Kennedy

http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/x...-30326615.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Did you know

'Xpose girls are more glam than me' – Lucy Kennedy

http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/x...-30326615.html

Marc Bolan would put them all to shame, the amateurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

On the cover page of the Leaving Certificate Higher Level English Paper 1 exam paper there are 175 upper case letters.

Yes,I am procrastinating.

Lyaiera wrote: »
    Marc Bolan would put them all to shame, the amateurs.
    Marc Bolan's biggest hit was a tree.

June 4, 2014 is the 155th day of the year 2014 in the Gregorian calendar.

There are 210 days remaining until the end of this year.

The day of the week is Wednesday.

If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Suiyōbi.

• Advertisement

And also removes nail polish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I just got AU$10.5 Million from a Diplomat from the Caribbeans named Harry Vanderbilt and I am not interested.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Chlorine trifluoride "dissolves" most things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

I've just cooked a pizza thats half done on one side and well done on the other

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

dgt wrote: »

One of the flaws of a fan oven.

dgt wrote: »

Turn it around and put it back in or cut it in half and put it back.

I had pizza as well too. I felt the need to tip the delivery guy because it was raining, is that an uninteresting fact?

• Advertisement

--LOS-- wrote: »
    I felt the need to tip the delivery guy because it was raining, is that an uninteresting fact?

Depends what you tipped him with?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

Neither did I.

The manure was usually bat 'guano' or bat poo.

Depends what you tipped him with?

€2 :/ I'm sure I made his night, I apologised for the rain as well

€2 :/ I'm sure I made his night, I apologised for the rain as well

If he got €2 from every delivery he would not be doing so bad. why was it raining at your place?

If he got €2 from every delivery he would not be doing so bad. why was it raining at your place?

why was it raining?? Cos weather! I meant to say sorry for making you come out in the rain, but I said oh sorry for the rain >.<

• Advertisement

I meant to say sorry for making you come out in the rain, but I said oh sorry for the rain >.<

Maybe he is a Pluviophile?

Maybe he is a Pluviophile?

:P I see what you did thar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭LizzieJones

I had a cup of tea today and deliberately left out the milk and sugar. :)

My favourite word is 'Buffoon'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

I have an itch on the right side of my head.

I have just scratched the itch in the right side of my head.

I no longer have an itch on the right side of my head.

I now have an itch in the left side of my head

Guess what I'm going to do now!!

I have just scratched the itch on the left side of my head

I no longer have an itch on the left side of my head

• Advertisement
Advertisement