Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wordpress.org or Wordpress.com

• 15-05-2014 12:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

We have decided to add a blog to our website to help drive traffic. I have a few questions I was hoping you might answer:

1: Is it better to have the blog attached to my website or to have it externally driving traffic to it? For SEO purposes.

2: Is there any good free resources you could recommend where I can learn how to set up my Wordpress blog?

3: Shall I use the .com or .org Wordpress?

I'm planning to get the blog up this weekend so any tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Nappy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Use your own domain or subdomain and host it yourself

So you could use something like blog.yourcompany.tld ... instead of yourcompany.somethingelse.tld

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭saucyleopard

For SEO purposes it is better to have the Blog on your site. Don't forget to optimize all of your posts. Install Yoast or all-in-one-seo as a plugin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

Set you blog up as a link (ie 'blog') or as a subdomain www.blog.mysite.com

WordPress is the easiest blogging resource.

Before you start just remember:
    You have to have access to your "cpanel" to set up a database etc and its great if you have FTP access via an ftp client.

Wordpress has a good resource on this:
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Installing_WordPress

also before hand have a look at some themes, someting you like the style of and something that will compliment your current site.

Its fairly step by step. dont forget, if you get stuck, shoup back here and you'll most likely get a decent digout.

C

Advertisement