Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice re Lawn Care

• 15-05-2014 1:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,250 ✭✭✭✭

Completed my house 2.5 years ago and the lawn was the last part to be completed so it was sown around August/September 2011. Since then I've had other bits on and its been fairly neglected. Last year we did extend it and planted a bit more but its never had any fertilizer or lawn feed, weed and mosskiller spread on it in the two and a half years since. For the past two Summers, it has pretty much only been cut when I absolutely needed to due to time constraints.

Considering this, its not in all that bad an order. There are some barren patches on it and some weeds and small rushes have started growing in other areas. A friend told me to treat it with lawnfeed, weed and mosskiller for the rushes/weeds which I did on Tuesday evening. I got the Westlawn type and also got the spreader so it should be evenly distributed. He also told me the best thing for the rushes would be to cut the garden a lot which I have started.

Is there anything else I could do or what products should I be looking at getting? Is there any spot on weed killer that I could spray to kill the rushes now?

For the barren patches, I was going to seed the lawn again in September/October. Is this the right thing to do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

A picture tells a thousand words but your plan looks decent.

To clear out the remaining weeds I'd recommend a generic weedkiller that won't affect your grass... 24D stuff. I used Damine (available from local coop) in the past and it did an excellent job.

Note that this stuff is dangerous, I wouldn't recommend using it if kids or pets are using the grass within a few days after applying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,250 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

PeteFalk78 wrote: »
    A picture tells a thousand words but your plan looks decent.

To clear out the remaining weeds I'd recommend a generic weedkiller that won't affect your grass... 24D stuff. I used Damine (available from local coop) in the past and it did an excellent job.

Note that this stuff is dangerous, I wouldn't recommend using it if kids or pets are using the grass within a few days after applying.

My kids wouldn't be using the lawn but I have 2 Labradors and a Norwegian Elkhound that wander onto it.

Would I need a back sprayer to use the Damine?

Yeah you would really a back sprayer. You'd be forever filling up a 5l sprayer. I suppose it all depends on what size of an area you are doing

You'd need to keep the dogs away from the sprayed area for a day or two.

Yeah you would really a back sprayer. You'd be forever filling up a 5l sprayer. I suppose it all depends on what size of an area you are doing

You'd need to keep the dogs away from the sprayed area for a day or two.

I have access to a back sprayer. The area I'm doing is quite large. For example, the bag of Westlawn covered 500 square metres and I used most of it. There was only a couple of handfuls left in the bag.

My friend told me to spread the weed, feed and mosskiller and then apply it again in eight weeks. Should I apply the D'amine after that?

Lemlin wrote: »
    I have access to a back sprayer. The area I'm doing is quite large. For example, the bag of Westlawn covered 500 square metres and I used most of it. There was only a couple of handfuls left in the bag.

My friend told me to spread the weed, feed and mosskiller and then apply it again in eight weeks. Should I apply the D'amine after that?

Sorry I misread the original post. I thought you only fed the lawn, the weedkiller should do the job on most of the weeds in the garden. I'd wait until the 2nd batch of feed, weed and mosskiller does the business and then see where you stand.

See what type of weeds you are left with and apply suitable weedkiller. I'm not 100% sure if 24D will kill rushes.

• Advertisement

Sorry I misread the original post. I thought you only fed the lawn, the weedkiller should do the job on most of the weeds in the garden. I'd wait until the 2nd batch of feed, weed and mosskiller does the business and then see where you stand.

See what type of weeds you are left with and apply suitable weedkiller. I'm not 100% sure if 24D will kill rushes.

I'll mow regularly and give it six to eight weeks and then apply the second batch.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭bob skunkhouse

I'm in a similar situation but not on the same scale. About 75% of my lawn 'took' but the other 25% is getting covered with buttercups, thistle, and clover (which I dont mind too much but not the other two).

Only last night did I get the sprayer and Gallop (same as roundup) out to do some selective weeding. My question is -
    When the weeds are burned back will the grass grow back into the barren spot left by the weeds or do i need to put in a handful of soil and new grass seed?

Cheers,
    Bob.

I've used Mortone before to kill rushes. got it in my local co op. Rushes are a sign of poorly drained acidic soil. Maybe some drainage or adding lime (not sure where you get this) might be a more permanent solution

I've used Mortone before to kill rushes. got it in my local co op. Rushes are a sign of poorly drained acidic soil. Maybe some drainage or adding lime (not sure where you get this) might be a more permanent solution

Pardon my ignorance but what purpose would the lime serve?

Lemlin wrote: »
    Pardon my ignorance but what purpose would the lime serve?

When lawns are weedy, patchy in spots or turn yellow, it may be a sign that the pH balance of your lawn is out of whack. One of the primary methods of correcting the problem is to add lime to your lawn to restore depleted nutrients (calcium and magnesium) and repair the damage.

The recommendation is to apply 40 to 50 pounds of lime per 1,000 square feet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,303 ✭✭✭emo72

lads where is the nearest coop to lucan? i need some lawn feed and some stuff for cleaning stone. thanks.

I have access to hen and cow manure. Could I spread some soon or would I be better holding off until the rushes and weeds are dead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭creedp

I sprayed my lawn for weeds on Tuesday last as it was infested with ragwort, buttercup, dandelion and thistle - and a little grass!!. I was just wondering how soon could I mow the lawn and when is it safe for kids to pay on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

The pack should give the directions.

Advertisement