Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clean New Wort Chiller

Options
  • 15-05-2014 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Hi, I've just made a wort chilller using fittings for the joints and soldered them (using correct solder). Basically wondering how to clean the chiller. It has that coppery smell, can I remove this easily ? What have you done ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Boiling it for 30 minutes should do the trick

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭BPH

Do I need to add anything to the water ?

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Boiled-egg

BPH wrote: »
    Hi, I've just made a wort chilller using fittings for the joints and soldered them (using correct solder). Basically wondering how to clean the chiller. It has that coppery smell, can I remove this easily ? What have you done ?

I'm new to this, tell me what's the correct solder ? I assume you can use the standard solder fittings in a plumbers shop ???

Lead free solder

Back to this cleaning of my chiller, I'm doing a brew at weekend and anxious to get it clean before then. I've read where some people added oxiclean (Vanish I presume) to the water or PBW. Are these god enough to remove copper residue from chiller ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Star San works good, 30 min soak should leave it nice and shiny. Remember, whilst it's made of copper, so are thousands of breweries around the world as well. Copper actually acts as a yeast nutrient too.

Cheers for the info. Didn't know copper was good for yeast, that's why loads of people posting comments on beer forums were not that too bothered on cleaning the chiller.

Advertisement