Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Injury and contact from club

• 15-05-2014 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Ok Ive a young lad plays u14 with local club. He got an injury at home which means he'll be out of action for a few months. I informed the club of same.

Am I right to be peeved that Ive received no contact from the club as to his well-being nor do I receive texts with regards to training/matches amymore? Obviously hes injured but I would have thought all players would be on a group text and Id get texts either way.

Hes an ok footballer who would be very close to the team (hes u14 again next year).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Seems bit odd.I'd like to think that most clubs in that situation would try and keep the player involved in some way, i.e ask him down to training to help, bring him to matches for the rest of the year if he wanted to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

mrsoft wrote: »
    Ok Ive a young lad plays u14 with local club. He got an injury at home which means he'll be out of action for a few months. I informed the club of same.

Am I right to be peeved that Ive received no contact from the club as to his well-being nor do I receive texts with regards to training/matches amymore? Obviously hes injured but I would have thought all players would be on a group text and Id get texts either way.

Hes an ok footballer who would be very close to the team (hes u14 again next year).

Agree with previous poster. Seems odd. Most clubs would be making sure to stay in touch, inquiring how injury is progressing etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭mrsoft

Maybe theres a simple explanation for it all. I seem to be more annoyed than the young lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,281 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

People in charge of teams and who run the clubs have lots of things to keep their minds occupied. I'm sure if you rang the manager and said is it ok to bring my lad (who broke his leg on a trampoline or whatever) to go to the games and training just to keep involved they would be delighted.

BPKS wrote: »
    People in charge of teams and who run the clubs have lots of things to keep their minds occupied. I'm sure if you rang the manager and said is it ok to bring my lad (who broke his leg on a trampoline or whatever) to go to the games and training just to keep involved they would be delighted.

Im involved in a coaching role with a different club so Im in the know that way. Personally speaking Id keep all players on a txt list regardless of injury or not. I thought maybe I might be the exception taking that route when this issue arose.

I will contact him again though. Maybe he didnt receive my text but its too coincidental that theres no more texts re training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

I wouldn't read too much into it, I coach our 16's and one of our lads broke a bone in his hand during training. I wouldn't txt but always asked him when he came to matches in support etc how he was.

Between personal life, job, club duties and then the team stuff itself it is easy for things to slip through the crack/be forgotten doesn't mean nobody cares.

Encourage your lad to go to training and games to keep a part of it, I am on mobile so cant see your post while writing this. Can he take part at all? For example a different lad broke his hand he comes down to help with gear and does the sprints and runs.

Hope the lad's recovery is quick and easy on him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,281 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

mrsoft wrote: »
    Im involved in a coaching role with a different club so Im in the know that way. Personally speaking Id keep all players on a txt list regardless of injury or not. I thought maybe I might be the exception taking that route when this issue arose.

I will contact him again though. Maybe he didnt receive my text but its too coincidental that theres no more texts re training.

I used web texts for my team and was informed by some parents they weren't getting my texts - changed to just texting everybody off my phone and despite delivery reports some still didn't get them! A simple phone call should sort this out. I know I would always be delighted to have an injured player there to help out with a few simple tasks and just to keep them involved in what you are trying to achieve at training. Having your players listening at training is often as important as the physical training itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭JimFin

Things like this are two fold.

1. "The club" in most cases like this is one or two voluntary mentors training the team. In 99.9% of cases they are well intentioned people, who while they may not be county managers in the making and may not be as tech savy/administratively competent as what you might find elsewhere in the club, are involved for all the right reasons. For the most part I would expect very few club officers/members would even know your son is injured, unless it happened at training or a match. You will find in the majority of cases the youngster would be encouraged to stay involved but it really is down to the team mentor and their ability to manage such a situation.

2. You could bridge the gap by bringing the lad along to training and games, tell the mentor that he would like to stay involved. Assuming his injury allows, he may be able to help with setting up markers, filling water, writing out subs slips etc etc. "Ask not what your club can do for you but what you can do for your club" and all that. I'd be very surprised at any underage mentor not being delighted to accept this sort of help. Additionally, it exposes the child to team preparation and administration and gives them a different type of training.

Ask the trainer in a friendly way to include your son in the texts, its probably an oversight on their part. If they refuse to do this or treat you in any way unfairly then your are very correct to feel peeved and should bring this to the attention of a senior club officer. Encourage the situation forward for now and let us know how it goes, I would expect it to go very well....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

This might sound like a daft question but, what age are the trainers/club officials involved with your sons team? We have a similar issue in our club where lads get injured and no one bothers with them. Its like they have ceased to exist. The officials with this attitude are of an "old school" nature and believe if you are injured you are actually lying and "warming up is for women" (that was actually said) I recently took up a post in the club and try to keep in touch with anyone who has an injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Transfer request.
    Only option

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

statto25 wrote: »
    This might sound like a daft question but, what age are the trainers/club officials involved with your sons team? We have a similar issue in our club where lads get injured and no one bothers with them. Its like they have ceased to exist. The officials with this attitude are of an "old school" nature and believe if you are injured you are actually lying and "warming up is for women" (that was actually said) I recently took up a post in the club and try to keep in touch with anyone who has an injury.

"Warming up is for women"?

I'd write a strongly worded letter to the club chairperson. They are a health and safety hazard if that's their attitude and it's a disgrace

statto25 wrote: »

The coaches are around mid 30s so they certainly not old school.

Anyway I text the coach again yesterday afternoon. I dont like ringing because I dont know the work schedule of said coach. No acknowledgement from him yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Twiceasnice97

this is a very small situation that could get out of hand very quickly as adults start to get their back up on both sides over nothing.

go to someone sane / intelligent in the club underage and tell the same story that you told here to them privately.
    if you have been involved with this club for the last six or so years as your son played you must know someone of this type.

Advertisement