Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heritage Insert Boiler

• 15-05-2014 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi All,

I have recently bought a 3 bed semi & am looking at getting in a stove to heat the radiators in the house as well as the living room. The radiators amount to 12 single radiators. The room is 4Mt wide x 5.2Mt Length x 9 Ft High. I need about 5kw to the room.

Ideally I would love an insert stove but I couldnt find one that would give heat to the radiators PLUS sufficient heat to the room. I was therefore looking at the Blacksmith Forge & Boru's Carrig Mor (20kw).

I have just stumbled on the Heritage Sheelin Insert Boiler Stove. This will give me 15kw to the water & 6kw to the room. Its for sale in Right Price Tiles & its looking perfect for me.....but is it too good to be true??

Has anyone any experience of the Sheelin?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Sanchez83

The Heritage Sheelin is a Chinese copy of the Boru Chieftan insert boiler.
    I am not saying there is anything wrong with it but I would be cautious about their claims that it is 21kw(15/6) as the Boru version is only 17kw(15/2).
    If a 17kw will do you I would go with the Heritage though as it is a decent price.

I would always ask for certification to prove heat output as a lot of companies just estimate it and will nearly always estimate higher than their competitors to try and get one up on them.

Most branded products are good quality but have a small percentage of issues,whether they are Irish made,British made and even Chinese.The only ones to be wary of are the non branded products as they are the ones that will have no back up if a problem arises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭therealmccoy

Hi All,

I have recently bought a 3 bed semi & am looking at getting in a stove to heat the radiators in the house as well as the living room. The radiators amount to 12 single radiators. The room is 4Mt wide x 5.2Mt Length x 9 Ft High. I need about 5kw to the room.

Ideally I would love an insert stove but I couldnt find one that would give heat to the radiators PLUS sufficient heat to the room. I was therefore looking at the Blacksmith Forge & Boru's Carrig Mor (20kw).

I have just stumbled on the Heritage Sheelin Insert Boiler Stove. This will give me 15kw to the water & 6kw to the room. Its for sale in Right Price Tiles & its looking perfect for me.....but is it too good to be true??

Has anyone any experience of the Sheelin?

You're not going to get anywhere near 6kw from an Inset Boiler Stove (standard size). Just wont happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 entersandlady

Thanks for the replies Sanchez & therealmccoy!

I was in Right Price Tiles in Naas yesterday - met a very helpful guy Ray. He proceeded to tell me that Heritage was a 'baby brother' of Stanley & that they come from the same factory in China.

When I looked at the stoves, you are correct in saying that it looks the exact same as the Boru Chieftan, Sanchez.

I also noted that it said 6kw max to the room - so I asked Ray what the average would be & was told it would be 6!

I have asked to be put in contact with customers that have purchased a Sheelin & was told that's no problem.

Is it the norm for well known branded products (ie Stanly etc) to give out a cert re proof of heat output???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14 WMB7575

Hi, I'm currently looking at Inset stoves too and just noticed the Sheelin you mentioned is for sale on laois Stone web site a bit cheaper than right price tiles
    Let me know how uou get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Sanchez83

I don't think Stanley would be happy about the baby brother quote as they have no connection as far as I'm aware.
    Most companies will supply a cert if you ask.
    I think Stanley even offer them on their website.Ive seen certs
    for heat design and Henley in shops before so they are also available from them.

I would be very cautious of the 6kw room heat claim,in reality it is probably closer to 2kw.

• Advertisement

Hey WMB,

I visited Laois Stone aka Furniture Properly on Saturday. Sorry to say, but the lads were useless at giving info - basically reading the info off the brochure - which I already knew from doing my research.

If I do go with the Sheelin (I'm still doing my research & haven't made a decision yet), I would probably go with Right Price Tiles in Naas (or Carlow)! I just felt that if anything did go wrong that parts would be replaced without too much fuss. Plus the guy (Ray) in Naas, was able to answer all my questions satisfactorily in comparison to Laois Stone. Also, RPT will do it for the €799 also (I was cheeky & asked).

I agree Sanchez & I think I will ask about the cert. Do you think it would really be as low as 2kw?? That's a HUGE discrepancy!!! While ideally I would prefer an insert boiler stove, I am not prepared to compromise the heat of the room to have one - to me that kinda defeats the purpose.

Hi Sanchez,

sent you a pm as it wont allow me to post a link/url re the 18kw Heat Design insert Stove ...me being a new user & all.

Let me know your thoughts please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭oinkely

For info folks,

I installed a Charnwood SLX 45 insert boiler stove about 5 years ago in my living room. It has been a great addition to the house, which is a 3 bed semi also. It heats the 11 radiators in the house as hot as you want them in the winter, and provides plenty of hot water in the cylinder. At this time of year i light it up with one load when i get home in the evening and when it gets hot turn it right down to a simmer and we have a cylinder full of hot water for the next day.

http://www.charnwood.com/range/stove/slx-45.aspx

no connection to charnwood, just a happy customer.

One piece of advice though that i picked up along the way is how to clean the glass - cause it does get black (especially when running on low all the time). A bowl of water, some kitchen paper and the ash pan. Dip the kitchen paper in the water, dip it in the ash from the fire and then scrub the glass, cleans it right up.

Thanks for that Oinkely. How much did it cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 MGHolmes

Any more news on the Sheelin insert boiler stove, good or bad anybody?

• Advertisement
Advertisement