Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I am looking for ( x ) in Galway city&county

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭tmh106

Bullocks wrote: »
    +1 for Roache as well. Very thorough

+2 Very good, very professional and a very nice guy to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

hamsterboy wrote: »
    James Roach
    16 Forster st Galway
    Co. Galway

091 562855

He just performed a survey for myself and my GF
    Incredibly thorough (estate agents refer to him as Dr. Death), really accommodating (he performed ours on a Saturday morning to suit our schedule) and been in the business absolute yonks so very well respected

Fantastic - thanks. The replies from everyone here look to back it up too. I'll give him a shout tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,112 ✭✭✭Bredabe

J o e wrote: »
    I also don't have a muslin/cheese cloth. ;)
    My granny used well rinsed/clean stockings for things like this. These days they would be tights.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

Bawnmore wrote: »
    Fantastic - thanks. The replies from everyone here look to back it up too. I'll give him a shout tomorrow morning.

Turns out Race Week is the worst possible week to get a hold of anyone - had great intention to get some things sorted this morning, but James and the 4 solicitors I called all look to have made the sensible decision of taking race week off :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

It's a nationwide problem this week!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Where is the best Seafood Chowder in Galway?

I have tried a few places that were recommended but it's difficult to get a decent one. By decent I mean loads of fish and not overly creamy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I have tried a few places that were recommended but it's difficult to get a decent one. By decent I mean loads of fish and not overly creamy.

In relation to above any good chowder in supermarkets? Tried the Cully & Scully but not mad on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Space Dog

I like the chowder in the Huntsman, but it might be too creamy for your liking?
    O'Grady's in Barna is popular if you check online, but I'm not too fond of it tbh.
    I find it always depends on the chef working at the time, had good ones and bad ones in the same restaurant...

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Placebo Effect

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a house cleaner in Galway City, it’s a one off for now with a view to a regular gig?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭1641

Oscars - I don't like the overly creamy ones either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Hey folks, is there any coffee shops that open till late; up till say 8pm/9pm?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I'd like to know this too, but I think that the French creperie called Java on Abbeygate Street stays open till midnight?

I must go, seems lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I'd like to know this too, but I think that the French crepe Java on Abbeygate Street place stays open till midnight?

I must go, seems lovely.

The Secret Garden beside the Blue Note is open until 11pm.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

dilallio wrote: »
    The Secret Garden beside the Blue Note is open until 11pm.

Oh nice. Thank you, it's been on my list for places to go, didn't realise they opened so late.

Galway is so ahead of Cork in regard to late evening openings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Agree re James Roache.

Experienced and efficient

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Thanks a bunch folks!

nuac wrote: »
    Agree re James Roache.

Experienced and efficient
    Got a hold of him today, and going to run with him for sure based off the recommendations rolling in here. I was talking to a solicitor this afternoon who was even familiar with him - said he was known for being very thorough.

Since we're (kind of) on the topic, is there a consensus on a solicitor in Galway for buying a house? I've called around a few this morning and have one in mind based just off the conversations, but there's no way I would have come across James had I not posted it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

I'm in the market for some curtains and was wondering if the Next in Knocknacarra has a good homeware section? They have loads of curtains online but I would like to see/feel them first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

reap-a-rat wrote: »
    I'm in the market for some curtains and was wondering if the Next in Knocknacarra has a good homeware section? They have loads of curtains online but I would like to see/feel them first.

The Home section of that Next is very small. They only have a limited selection. You could always order curtains for store collection and return them there when they don't suit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

The Home section of that Next is very small. They only have a limited selection. You could always order curtains for store collection and return them there when they don't suit

That's a super point, thanks a million!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Mostly Harmless

Since we're (kind of) on the topic, is there a consensus on a solicitor in Galway for buying a house? I've called around a few this morning and have one in mind based just off the conversations, but there's no way I would have come across James had I not posted it here.

We used Eamon Concannon purely on basis that he was the cheapest, everything went though smoothly and without screw ups but was a fairly straight forward purchase.

We used Eamon Concannon purely on basis that he was the cheapest, everything went though smoothly and without screw ups but was a fairly straight forward purchase.

Thanks Mostly Harmless - it's funny I was actually talking to Eamon during the week on a recommendation from a friend and we'll probably go with him too. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Second Yellow

Best place for half-decent, reasonably-priced cutlery and plates etc? Cutlery preferably with no plastic handles. You know the type, ones that start to look bad after a few weeks. All simple all stainless steel or wood handle even.

Would what Dunnes and Tesco have be all right? I seem to remember Dunnes charging unreasonable prices for stuff that wasn't great quality, but that was quite a while ago now.

I remember buying cutlery in some shop in Galway years ago (not Dunnes) and the 'stainless steel' appeared to be rubbing off. Binned them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Best place for half-decent, reasonably-priced cutlery and plates etc? Cutlery preferably with no plastic handles. You know the type, ones that start to look bad after a few weeks. All simple all stainless steel or wood handle even.

Would what Dunnes and Tesco have be all right? I seem to remember Dunnes charging unreasonable prices for stuff that wasn't great quality, but that was quite a while ago now.

I remember buying cutlery in some shop in Galway years ago (not Dunnes) and the 'stainless steel' appeared to be rubbing off. Binned them.
    Homestore and More, Wellpark.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭xckjoo

TK Max can have some good sets. Anthony Ryans if you want more choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,112 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Not sure if this fits here exactly, our community compost 'facility' has closed and as 'we' don't use the brown bin for these, does anyone know of any other community or communal compost bins/spaces in the city?

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Bosupe

Looking for help with money and budgeting. Basically someone to advise on best options to get some return on savings instead of having it sit in a deposit account.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

Bit of an odd one but I need 9 concrete blocks wondering is there anyone in the city that can deliver this small quantity.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭galway321

Bosupe wrote: »
    Looking for help with money and budgeting. Basically someone to advise on best options to get some return on savings instead of having it sit in a deposit account.

Budgeting: the Revolut app is brilliant. It's free to set up an account, and then €6 for a debit card. Once you start to spend using the debit card the app categories your spend so you can easily see where you are spending daily/weekly/monthly etc. You can easily see where wastage is occurring and adjust to save some money. (They also have a 'vault' feature which if used will round up each transaction you make to the nearest € and put the difference into a savings vault. eg buy a coffee for €2.20 and €2.20 pays for the coffee and €0.80 goes to your savings vault. It adds up quickly and is a nice way to save.)

Investing - from high to low risk:
    High risk / possible high return: Buy some Crypto-currencies eg. Bitcoin/XRP and hold for at least 3/4 years (Either get very little if anything back or else get exceptional returns)
    Medium risk: Use Peer to peer money lending - Mintos and Twino are very good and will return c.5-10%
    Low risk (lower than the above anyway) : set up an account with DeGiro and invest a % of your funds in an ETF (A US ETF for lower taxes when you sell). Put another % of your funds in Prize bonds for security, easy access and small return (if any).

You could do a mix of all three of the above also.

Just like to point out I'm not a financial adviser - just giving you some options to research for yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭xckjoo

galway321 wrote: »
    Budgeting: the Revolut app is brilliant. It's free to set up an account, and then €6 for a debit card. Once you start to spend using the debit card the app categories your spend so you can easily see where you are spending daily/weekly/monthly etc. You can easily see where wastage is occurring and adjust to save some money. (They also have a 'vault' feature which if used will round up each transaction you make to the nearest € and put the difference into a savings vault. eg buy a coffee for €2.20 and €2.20 pays for the coffee and €0.80 goes to your savings vault. It adds up quickly and is a nice way to save.)

Investing - from high to low risk:
    High risk / possible high return: Buy some Crypto-currencies eg. Bitcoin/XRP and hold for at least 3/4 years (Either get very little if anything back or else get exceptional returns)
    Medium risk: Use Peer to peer money lending - Mintos and Twino are very good and will return c.5-10%
    Low risk (lower than the above anyway) : set up an account with DeGiro and invest a % of your funds in an ETF (A US ETF for lower taxes when you sell). Put another % of your funds in Prize bonds for security, easy access and small return (if any).

You could do a mix of all three of the above also.

Just like to point out I'm not a financial adviser - just giving you some options to research for yourself.

That's all fairly high-risk advice. Fine for if you've some playing around money, but I wouldn't stake my retirement on it. Find a proper Financial Advisor OP and remember that finance is a long-term project; returns in the short-term are not as important as those in the long-term.

Advertisement