Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I am looking for ( x ) in Galway city&county

Options

Comments

If the idea of cycling is to avoid using public transport for virus reasons I’d personally see shared showering and changing facilities as being as much if not more of a risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

blueshark2 wrote: »
    Looking for shower/changing facilities in the city centre...?

Starting back to work soon. Usually get the bus to work but want to start cycling in. But we don't have shower or changing facilities. Is there anywhere near Dominic Street like a cheap gym or hotel leisure club that might be an option? Happy to get annual membership if needs be.
    Not a great area for gyms or leisure centres. Only place that comes to mind is the Train Station on Munster Avenue and I think that's all classes. Could you start the day with a cycle and HIIT class? Might be a bit much every day :D
    Think the Meyrick/Hardiman still have a leisure centre. Snap Fitness is also in Eyre Square. That might actually be your best bet. Or if you got an ebike you wouldn't actually need the shower. Not as good for exercise but you still get the fresh air in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Looking for shower/changing facilities in the city centre...?

Starting back to work soon. Usually get the bus to work but want to start cycling in. But we don't have shower or changing facilities. Is there anywhere near Dominic Street like a cheap gym or hotel leisure club that might be an option? Happy to get annual membership if needs be.

How far are you planning on cycling? If within 5km you could probably get away without a shower and just pace yourself in, then some baby wipes and clean shirt/top in the toilets could work.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭flazio

If the idea of cycling is to avoid using public transport for virus reasons I’d personally see shared showing and changing facilities as being as much if not more of a risk.

Showing? I think that's referred to as flashing and is heavily frowned upon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭blueshark2

If the idea of cycling is to avoid using public transport for virus reasons I’d personally see shared showing and changing facilities as being as much if not more of a risk.

Not directly, but I've got back one the bike for the first time in years over the last few months and the car has been sitting in the drive. Don't fancy getting back to the old ways of sitting frustrated in traffic and paying for parking.

Good point on the risk of shared showers though... I know the Galway numbers have been near zero recently so hoping that continues and it will continue to get safer over time. Another couple of weeks before I start back.
    xckjoo wrote: »
    Or if you got an ebike you wouldn't actually need the shower. Not as good for exercise but you still get the fresh air in the morning.

Considering this too - I see there's a company on Eyre Street doing ebike rentals, might rent one for a while before investing.
    How far are you planning on cycling? If within 5km you could probably get away without a shower and just pace yourself in, then some baby wipes and clean shirt/top in the toilets could work.

About 10km. I tend to overheat easily when exercising but can give it an easy-pace test run before then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,904 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's not clear yet if gyms will be allowed to offer shower,s or even changing facilities, when they re-open.

Also, has your employer offered any thoughts about your transport choice? Some places are telling people that it's either walking or travelling in a car alone.

What’s the story with swimming pools? I’m in no rush back anytime soon but haven’t seen them mentioned.

Also anyone look into if there will be any extension of memberships etc for the closed period? I’m a member in leisureland and it’s likely to be 4 months where they are closed and was wondering if there is any plan to extend memberships to make up for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Is KFC open for sit in's ? is it taking cash?
    Or likely to be by 25th, I cant find this info on their sm.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

Bredabe wrote: »
    Is KFC open for sit in's ? is it taking cash?
    Or likely to be by 25th, I cant find this info on their sm.

No where is open for sit ins until the 29th and I can’t see how fast food places will even open then as they would have no booking system etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭tmh106

What’s the story with swimming pools? I’m in no rush back anytime soon but haven’t seen them mentioned.

They have been mentioned: opening on 29th June.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I know Warehouse suspended DD memberships. Plenty of members offered to let them roll on so that the owners would be comfortable.

I haven’t heard anything from leisureland anyway and I’d paid upfront for the year so no DD to suspend.

4 months without access to me should mean some form of extension or discount on next years or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Also anyone look into if there will be any extension of memberships etc for the closed period? I’m a member in leisureland and it’s likely to be 4 months where they are closed and was wondering if there is any plan to extend memberships to make up for this?
    I know ocean fitness are just extending memberships to cover the closed period. They are due to open on July 20th I think but that could change and no further details of what might be open etc. There's then the problem of lessons paid for in leisureland, local kids swimming clubs paid for too that have to be ironed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Buddy74

Reading Aides? I can get them in Amazon but it would be great to get one in town and have it for Saturday evening.

There is a unit in Argos-
    http://www.argos.ie/ProductDisplayTRK019?partNumber=9400261
    but I was hoping for an hand held unit as she likes to sit in her comfy chair reading rather than at a desk/table.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Buddy74 wrote: »
    Reading Aides? I can get them in Amazon but it would be great to get one in town and have it for Saturday evening.

There is a unit in Argos-
    http://www.argos.ie/ProductDisplayTRK019?partNumber=9400261
    but I was hoping for an hand held unit as she likes to sit in her comfy chair reading rather than at a desk/table.

Craft/fabric/wool shops may be worth a look/call. For example Knitwit in Liosbaun, Hickeys, Anthony Ryan's Homestore etc. There are lamp/magnifier combos that can be worn around the neck and are used for embroidery, lace knitting and other delicate work.
    Should work for reading too!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,904 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

tmh106 wrote: »
    They have been mentioned: opening on 29th June.

Allowed to open on the 29th.

When they actually open is entirely a different matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭the_galway_fry

Does anyone know if any of the charity shops are taking toys, I have two large bags worth and two I asked said they weren't taking any yet.

Is there anyone providing a wheelie bin cleaning service in Galway?

I've seen it elsewhere, where you book it in and they come around after the bin collections and power wash your bin. Our brown bin is getting pretty gnarly and we've no outdoor tap.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Is there anyone providing a wheelie bin cleaning service in Galway?

I've seen it elsewhere, where you book it in and they come around after the bin collections and power wash your bin. Our brown bin is getting pretty gnarly and we've no outdoor tap.

Same situation but I wasn't gonna pay someone to do it so I just threw a few kettles of boiling water and disinfectant in, gave it a going over with the yard brush and emptied down the drain after, did a decent job.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭spud65

Does anyone know if any of the charity shops are taking toys, I have two large bags worth and two I asked said they weren't taking any yet.

did you try irish cancer society on merchants rd, i dropped in a few bits into them on sat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭the_galway_fry

spud65 wrote: »
    did you try irish cancer society on merchants rd, i dropped in a few bits into them on sat

I didn't but thank you I will try there tomorrow

Or if you got an ebike you wouldn't actually need the shower.
    Considering this too - I see there's a company on Eyre Street doing ebike rentals, might rent one for a while before investing

Thanks for the suggestion - a full eBike was crazy money and the short term rentals were steep enough so I've invested in an electric wheel kit. Should do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭Bredabe

A portable or light barre for barre workouts, anyone seen any, anywhere?

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I saw them in Lidl last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Is Leisureland open? They might have them? Or what's it called, the shop on the seafront, near leisure land, the one with all the buckets and spades.

Geuze wrote: »
    I saw them in Lidl last week.
    Checked one and no luck but thanks for the suggestion.

Is Leisureland open? They might have them? Or what's it called, the shop on the seafront, near leisure land, the one with all the buckets and spades.
    Oh that shop nearly definitely does. Or at least I've seen them there before. Good call. Found something else that'll do the job but thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭sasal

There was some in Lidl in Doughiska today.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Bredabe wrote: »
    A portable or light barre for barre workouts, anyone seen any, anywhere?
    You need to link to an image of it cause I haven't a notion what they are :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭CitizenFloor

Long shot, but I'm looking for a cheap ice cube maker?

Usual suspects dont have them (Argos, Currys, DID, Homestore, Ryans, Expert, Conboy etc.)

Advertisement