Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deise Greenway. Cycle path. Waterford City to Dungarvan.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Max Powers wrote: »
    First time visit at weekend...absolutely amazing...I would warn people, it is not fully finished and there are significant drops on approaches to bridges I noticed, presume they will fence when ready but just be mindful if kids on bikes etc.also when I was there some dope came along on a motorised scooter, it will only work if respected by all. I.e. no motors, horses, speeding etc on route.

That guy came flying past me out there last Sunday and i thought the same thing i said to myself wheres this dope going!,it was a Sunday afternoon with loads of families out walking and cycling at the speed he was going he easily could of hit someone.

And johnnyboy this was a scooter with a petrol engine attached,very very different to a motorised wheelchair it was similar to this and id say he was going over 20mph

$_57.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 29,253 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

That guy came flying past me out there last Sunday and i thought the same thing i said to myself wheres this dope going!,it was a Sunday afternoon with loads of families out walking and cycling at the speed he was going he easily could of hit someone.

And johnnyboy this was a scooter with a petrol engine attached,very very different to a motorised wheelchair it was similar to this and id say he was going over 20mph

jobage! i want one of them

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    jobage! i want one of them

I would love one myself to be honest but the greenway on a Sunday afternoon is no place to be using it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

[IMG]http ://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTAyNFgxMTcz/z/cIgAAOSw74FXPEBO/$_57.JPG[/IMG]

I absolutely agree that anyone mis-behaving and interfering with others needs to be dealt with.
    Banning all 'motors' is not the way to do it.
    Limiting 'motors' to wheelchairs is also not the way to do it.

Using any device in a manner that interferes with others should not be tolerated .... whether that device is motorised or not.
    My progress been interfered with by ladies pushing prams more often that wheelchairs or horses :D

I absolutely agree that anyone mis-behaving and interfering with others needs to be dealt with.
    Limiting 'motors' to wheelchairs is also not the way to do it.

Using any device in a manner that interferes with others should not be tolerated .... whether that device is motorised or not.
    My progress been interfered with by ladies pushing prams more often that wheelchairs or horses :D

ban the women!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

You should be aware that PWDs and others use scooters with electric motors ..... but apparently you are not.

Your 'no motors' would exclude those I mentioned.

..... and no I have no horse so am not bothered about your exclusion of horses at all ;)

99.9% of people know when I said motors,I was referring to combustion engines, only a idiot or person eager to make a non sensical complaint would think we are talking about battery operated devices for the physical impaired.get it together John boy,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Most shops and shopping centers have signs up say NO DOGS EXCEPT GUIDE DOGS so I'm sure there is a way around signage to ban "motors" except for disability mobility.

99.9% of people know when I said motors,I was referring to combustion engines, only a idiot or person eager to make a non sensical complaint would think we are talking about battery operated devices for the physical impaired.get it together John boy,

So you have now gone from banning all motors to banning ICEs only.

Why should ICEs be banned?

If I have a mobility device with an ICE why should I be banned from enjoying this amenity?

Noise? Pollution? ...... certainly not speed as such devices can move as quickly or slowly as other powered devices.

If you propose to ban some devices/people from using the amenity then I most certainly expect you to have considered what you propose and not propose blanket bans without any thought to the consequences of others.

Apparently I was mistaken.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Actually a petrol powered scooter such as the one pictured above is banned as no child or teenager below the license age can legally operate it on public land.

You must have tax and insurance and license for these and as such they would be illegal on the greenway,

The council don't have to ban them as legally they should only be used on private property unless you have the proper documentation, so effectively they are already banned.

If an adult did have a license etc then it would be best for them to be banned for safety reasons because the greenway is not intended for motorist traffic like this. Its not like ICE users don't have options, they have a perfectly good road network to use.

http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=1728&Lang=1
    What is the legal status of electric/battery powered scooters? The use of these types of scooters has become very popular in recent years, especially with children. The legal position is that if one of these scooters can be powered by mechanical or electrical power alone, and does not require pedalling or scooting for propulsion, then the scooter is considered to be a mechanically propelled vehicle (MPV) in terms of road traffic legislation, irrespective of engine capacity. If such scooters are to be used in any public place, they require insurance and road tax as with any other MPV. The driver would also require a driving licence and is obliged to wear a crash helmet. If the user of such a scooter cannot fulfil these legal requirements, then the scooter should only be used on private property.
    If I have a mobility device with an ICE why should I be banned from enjoying this amenity?

I've seen thousands of mobility scooters over the years and I've never seen one with a petrol engine, the reason for this is having a petrol engine would make them unsuitable for shopping centers.

Mobility scooters are electric, not ICE...with the exception of modified one's which again would need tax and insurance to be used on public roads/spaces and once again we're back to high costs of doing this and also the unsuitability of using such an item in town centers and shopping centers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Noise? Pollution? ...... certainly not speed as such devices can move as quickly or slowly as other powered devices.

If you propose to ban some devices/people from using the amenity then I most certainly expect you to have considered what you propose and not propose blanket bans without any thought to the consequences of others.

I'm all for banning all ICE from the Greenway. What do we have roads for otherwise?

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote:
    The council should ban items like this, just like they are banned in public parks as they are a danger to people.
    I would say their owners (some, not all) abusing a facility is exposing people to danger. The devices themselves are not dangerous.
    So by all means bring in some way of controlling the users of the facilities.
    Cabaal wrote:
    I've seen thousands of mobility scooters over the years and I've never seen one with a petrol engine, the reason for this is having a petrol engine would make them unsuitable for shopping centers.
    As this is not a shopping centre, but an outdoor pursuit area, then different devices/vehicles might well be used, such as a small quad or other device for outdoor use.
    Have you never seen a PWD on one along a beach or outdoors?
    All vehicles cannot be banned. Mis-behaviour can be banned regardless the mobility device used.
    A cyclist travelling at 20mph is as dangerous, and no motor or engine involved.
    Regarding the requirement for Road Tax and Insurance ...... Is the Greenway regarded as a public road for this purpose?
    I never thought about that previously.

my3cents wrote: »
    I'm all for banning all ICE from the Greenway. What do we have roads for otherwise?

I have no doubt this might well happen.

Why are you for banning them?
    What reason do you have?

Whats with all the acronyms,ICE? PWD?

Whats with all the acronyms,ICE? PWD?

ICE = Internal Combustion Engine => 'engine' in common parlance

PWD = People With Disability => whatever you use yourself

John boy, I have given up trying to explain to you.your posts are so bizarre, unrelated to what people are posting about are frankly idiotic.just to clarify one last time no one is or would suggest banning a disabled person or there means of access from something, that is abundantly clear to everyone here except yourself.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I would say their owners (some, not all) abusing a facility is exposing people to danger. The devices themselves are not dangerous.

The law see's them as much more dangerous then a bicycle, end of, thats why you need tax, insurance and a license to prove you can safely use them. You are arguing your personal point of view rather then the law, which is sort of embarrassing now.

The greenway is public land so they are banned unless properly insurance, taxed and and person with a license is operating it, you can argue it any other way but unless these requirements are met the person is illegally using it.

As this is not a shopping centre, but an outdoor pursuit area, then different devices/vehicles might well be used, such as a small quad or other device for outdoor use.

A quad unless properly taxed, insured etc would also be very much be illegal and they again are unsuitable for the greenway. The greenway is intended as a dual walkway and cycle lane and as such is unsuitable for a quad etc.

Would you be stupid enough to drive a quad on a footpath that had a shared cycle lane? Or would you try and argue that its as safe as a bike?
    All vehicles cannot be banned.

Yes MPV very much can be banned, mobility scooters are in a totally different class.

A cyclist travelling at 20mph is as dangerous, and no motor or engine involved.

In your personal view, but again the law allows a cyclist to go on a shared footpath/cycle lane.

The law is on the cyclist side for using the greenway.
    MPV use on the greenway is a danger to the public
    Regarding the requirement for Road Tax and Insurance ...... Is the Greenway regarded as a public road for this purpose?

Its land intended for public usage and access, it doesn't matter if its classed as a road or not, it would be equally illegal to use MPV's without tax etc in a park, going down the footpath or around a housing estate.

MPV use can only legally occur on private land if the operator has no tax, insurance or license.

I have no doubt this might well happen.

Why are you for banning them?
    What reason do you have?

- Because its illegal for any child to use a MPV on public land already so the use is already illegal
    - An adult should have enough common sense to know its endangering others
    - Safety issues,
    - The greenway is a shared footpath and cycle lane, only an idiot would try drive a quad or MPV on a shared footpath/cycle lane

If a MPV user is public use legal then they should stick to the road network, thats what it is designed for.

Its bad enough that quad users illegally use them on mountains etc, now you want to endanger people on a shared footpath/cycle lane, advocating this dangerous usage is frankly silly
    :rolleyes:

Cabaal wrote: »
    -
    Its bad enough that quad users illegally use them on mountains etc, now you want to endanger people on a shared footpath/cycle lane, advocating this dangerous usage is frankly silly
    :rolleyes:

Would you care to link me to where I 'advocated' dangerous use of anything? In fact I have not to my recollection advocated the use of any vehicle or device on the greenway.

I have questioned those of you who advocate banning various things. I asked for explanations why they should be banned. ICEs but not Electric motors for instance.

If questioning things here is advocating the opposite then I am obviously in the wrong place!

I will let it lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

I have given up trying to explain to...
    Cabaal wrote: »
    The law see's them as....
    Would you care to link me to where I .....

I think we all understand the argument here, I don't think anybody minds the aged, infirm or disabled using the greenway by whatever means gives access as long as we can all use it and nobody abuses it.

I wouldn't like to see an otherwise beneficial thread being derailed or even locked because of infighting.

Back on-topic, this is a nice little find:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVV8fLEdTLI

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

I walked from Kilmac viaduct to McGrath's cross and back last night.
    9.15KM

• Advertisement

STIG83 wrote: »
    I walked from Kilmac viaduct to McGrath's cross and back last night.
    9.15KM

Is there handy access at kilmac? Would like to see that impressive viaduct.which direction is it from kilmac?

Is there handy access at kilmac? Would like to see that impressive viaduct.which direction is it from kilmac?

i hopped a gate next to the gardai station in kilmac last year to get access. could be different now though. there were other wee tracks around the area that locals seemed to be using so there probably is alternative access points.

You know the park in Kilmac? directly in front of viaduct.
    A path was made up to the Dungarvan side of the viaduct by locals I think. It very handy.
    I live in the apartments over looking it so very handy, must dust my bike off and go for a cycle on it.

STIG83 wrote: »
    You know the park in Kilmac? directly in front of viaduct.
    A path was made up to the Dungarvan side of the viaduct by locals I think. It very handy.
    I live in the apartments over looking it so very handy, must dust my bike off and go for a cycle on it.

Thanks stig,I will have to wait,I will have kids and missus with me and they won't be jumping gates and prams etc.

Thanks stig,I will have to wait,I will have kids and missus with me and they won't be jumping gates and prams etc.

Def no gates to jump anyway, just clear open paths.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Solved the problem put in a LUAS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭ec18

Where's the best way to get on the greenway from the city side? and how does that side go currently?

ec18 wrote: »
    Where's the best way to get on the greenway from the city side? and how does that side go currently?

Can get on at Bilberry or down Mount Congreve,dont know what you mean by that side go currently :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭ec18

sorry I know the full freenway isn't finished yet......how far from bilberry does it go?.....but how far does it go from bilberry?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

ec18 wrote: »
    sorry I know the full freenway isn't finished yet......how far from bilberry does it go?.....but how far does it go from bilberry?

Dungarvan. :P

Advertisement