Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deise Greenway. Cycle path. Waterford City to Dungarvan.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Daffodil.d

I was on the Kilmac section of the greenway yesterday and it's beautiful. Full of walkers and cyclists. I just can't get over the speed of cyclists and the fact that they're not using their bells. (I know this has been mentioned before but people aren't using their heads). I've cycled other parts on busy days and used my bell.(which worked warning people I was approaching from behind) There's going to be an accident. It's hard to get younger kids to keep to the left. Cyclists need to slow down as well.
    I hate sounding like I'm complaining about it because we're so lucky having such an amenity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Daffodil.d wrote: »
    I've cycled other parts on busy days and used my bell.(which worked warning people I was approaching from behind)
    Does it also work on walkers/joggers with headphones on?

The "keep to the left" rule is not yet known / practiced on the Bilberry to Kilmeadan section. Could simply be due to lack on information as there are no information posts like you'll see approaching Durrow and closer to Dungarvan.

I've a bicycle horn and I could swear a few people on the Greenway were offended for sounding it as I approached them from behind their backs.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I cycled from carriganore to Bilberry yesterday and yes I encountered some cyclists goings a bit fast alright, but the bigger issue which I had was people not knowing which side to walk on and also people with dogs on to long of a lead. I also saw some groups both walking and cycling taking up the full width of the greenway which made it almost impossible for people to pass coming in the opposite direction. I don't have a bell on my bike, but I'm cycling the greenway with the belief that the walkers have the right of way, so I'm happy to sit behind them till it's safe to pass. When it is safe I will politely say "passing on your right" as I approach them, and then go by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Yeah, I was on the bilberry section with my two kids yesterday. I won't go on it again. It was mayhem and downright dangerous. We were right in by the side but if one of the kids drifted away from the side in any way they could get mown down. I'm sure it'd be fine if it was less busy but cyclists really do need to let people know that they are coming from the rear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Cortecs wrote: »
    It was mayhem
    That's nice. They played a gig in Dublin on Friday night so maybe they wanted to do some sightseeing in the country over the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

What speed are cyclists allowed do? Cos I was on it yesterday and barely moving and a woman gave out to me for going to fast. She tried to argue with me that I shouldn't be going any faster than she was walking which is bit ridiculous. She also had dog with no lead but I was told to mind my own business when I said she should have lead on dog. There will be an accident but there's accidents everywhere.

Is this pathway open to cars?

Muppet

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

That's nice. They played a gig in Dublin on Friday night so maybe they wanted to do some sightseeing in the country over the weekend.

I love Sean nos, if you have nothing actually constructive to add to the thread then please don't post again.

Are there any by-laws in force on this path, like you would have in parks?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Are there any by-laws in force on this path, like you would have in parks?

Even if there are who is going to enforce them? There are by-laws for some of the local beaches but because there is no enforcement no one takes a blind bit of notice except maybe German tourists.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

No it's not, it's just for Runners, walkers and cyclists.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    No it's not, it's just for Runners, walkers and cyclists.
    Well that's one less thing for users to complain about then. If the complaints continue, I think the path should be opened to motorised vehicles for the day.

Are horses allowed on it? They have the capability of doing way more damage than a person on a bike if not treated with caution.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,420 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Well that's one less thing for users to complain about then. If the complaints continue, I think the path should be opened to motorised vehicles for the day.

Are horses allowed on it? They have the capability of doing way more damage than a person on a bike if not treated with caution.

complaints are inevitable particularly on an unfinished project, but i have to say, its an incredible piece of infrastructure. it was great to see so many on it yesterday but of course there was some poor behaviour from some, possible even myself.

i think im glad though that i got to walk it in its entirety at the beginning of the project, it was amazing in its almost natural state.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    complaints are inevitable particularly on an unfinished project, but i have to say, its an incredible piece of infrastructure. it was great to see so many on it yesterday but of course there was some poor behaviour from some, possible even myself.
    I really enjoyed myself with the missus on the Mayo greenway a number of years ago. Was on a hire bike, which was a bit of a shambles to start with, but once the brakes were tightened up a bit, turned out fine. Certainly the fatter tyres were welcomed over the 23mm that my own road bike had. Also, I wasn't worried about chipping damaging my paintwork either. Barely met anyone else on the entire route from Westport to Achill that September day. Once the route is completed and the novelty wears off, some of the concerns expressed about the Waterford path might disappear.

I do recall there being some obstacles designed in, such as kissing gates. I hope this new route doesn't have any of that.

In any case, I look forward to trying this new path out at some point in the future. Will be a while though thanks to a new arrival.

I really enjoyed myself with the missus on the Mayo greenway a number of years ago. Was on a hire bike, which was a bit of a shambles to start with, but once the brakes were tightened up a bit, turned out fine. Certainly the fatter tyres were welcomed over the 23mm that my own road bike had. Also, I wasn't worried about chipping damaging my paintwork either. Barely met anyone else on the entire route from Westport to Achill that September day. Once the route is completed and the novelty wears off, some of the concerns expressed about the Waterford path might disappear.

I do recall there being some obstacles designed in, such as kissing gates. I hope this new route doesn't have any of that.

In any case, I look forward to trying this new path out at some point in the future. Will be a while though thanks to a new arrival.

i had to do it on an enduro yesterday as i couldnt get my hardtail up and running, 2.4inch front and 2.2inch rear. really not the ideal bike for the occasion but it wasnt too bad at all. im well use to the full suspension, and thankfully i can stiffen up the rear suspension with ease. i would recommend either a road bike or ideally a hybrid for the greenway. i done kilmac to dungarvan and the surface and indeed the whole route is very well put together. few issues here and there, but im very impressed overall.

no kissings gates on the section i done, but there are some really nice nostalgic railway gates on many crossings, which are perfectly placed and designed.

best of luck with the baby

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

debok wrote: »
    What speed are cyclists allowed do? Cos I was on it yesterday and barely moving and a woman gave out to me for going to fast. She tried to argue with me that I shouldn't be going any faster than she was walking which is bit ridiculous. She also had dog with no lead but I was told to mind my own business when I said she should have lead on dog. There will be an accident but there's accidents everywhere.

Just brilliant - head up her own ars3 or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

The gates are fine - as Wander78 said they're quite attractive (receycled/repurposed?) iron gates well placed so you can get through them with minimal hassle.

I wouldn't fancy doing much of it on 23mm tires. I've 25mm on the road bike and even then there's a noticeable buzz through the bars even on the bits with the finer chips. The steel winter/commuter/do-it-all bike has 35mm tires and is a lot more comfortable

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Anyone know if it's been reopened at Kildermody yet?

fricatus wrote: »
    Anyone know if it's been reopened at Kildermody yet?

Friday @ 6:18 pm - gated with security personnel at gates
    Sunday @ 10:12am - gates opened, passable

Could be work in progress during working week and opened for the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Is there tarmac on the waterford kilmacthomas side like on the dungarvan side. What happened with the waterford side with not finished on time and not linking with the city. Need the Dungravan planner to move to waterford

spookwoman wrote: »
    Is there tarmac on the waterford kilmacthomas side like on the dungarvan side.
    Bilberry to WIT Carriganore (ca. 3.5 km) - YES
    Both sides of the first brigde (ca. 60 mtrs each side) - YES
    WSVR Shed towards Kildermody underpass (only a ca. 2 km stretch of it) - YES
    Kildermody - Kilmac (all of it, ca. 9 km) - YES

Overall? There's more stone-chippings surface than tarmac.
    What happened with the waterford side with not finished on time and not linking with the city.

I'll risk saying - landlords/farmers:
    42GFyBe.jpg
    See anything strange on the old railway line continuity?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭DublinBeaker

Plan on doing this during the summer on road bikes. No great speed or anything but is it suitable for 25mm tyres and road bikes?

Anyone planning to buy a hurley should consider making a day of it.

Plan on doing this during the summer on road bikes. No great speed or anything but is it suitable for 25mm tyres and road bikes?

i would say its just fine to do so, might be a little uncomfortable in places, but generally fine. seen lads on it on road bikes, didnt get chatting to them, but id say it would be fine.

I done kilmac to dungarvan on 25mm and Twas grand no issues at all

beazee wrote:
    The "keep to the left" rule is not yet known / practiced on the Bilberry to Kilmeadan section. Could simply be due to lack on information as there are no information posts like you'll see approaching Durrow and closer to Dungarvan.

They have 'the greenway code' written up at certain points. I reckon maybe a few more little reminders might help.
    As regards to people with headphones on, I haven't come across any.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭spookwoman

beazee wrote: »
    Bilberry to WIT Carriganore (ca. 3.5 km) - YES
    Both sides of the first brigde (ca. 60 mtrs each side) - YES
    WSVR Shed towards Kildermody underpass (only a ca. 2 km stretch of it) - YES
    Kildermody - Kilmac (all of it, ca. 9 km) - YES

Overall? There's more stone-chippings surface than tarmac.

I'll risk saying - landlords/farmers:
    42GFyBe.jpg
    See anything strange on the old railway line continuity?

Bugger only have a racer. Looking at the map looks like few farmers took the rail land as their own. Don't think there is squatters rights on rail lines even if they are decommissioned.

spookwoman wrote: »
    Bugger only have a racer. Looking at the map looks like few farmers took the rail land as their own. Don't think there is squatters rights on rail lines even if they are decommissioned.

a few landowners did in fact make the railway apart of their own but it looks like its been slowly rectified while this project nears completion. some had even made it their back and front gardens, building walls and flower beds etc

• Advertisement

Cortecs wrote:
    Yeah, I was on the bilberry section with my two kids yesterday. I won't go on it again. It was mayhem and downright dangerous. We were right in by the side but if one of the kids drifted away from the side in any way they could get mown down. I'm sure it'd be fine if it was less busy but cyclists really do need to let people know that they are coming from the rear.

Kids will be kids. Especially the younger ones and it's there for the use of everyone. It's the adults on bikes that should know better. Don't be put off though. You shouldn't have to miss out on such an amenity and I had this chat with my mother who's in her 60's and was saying the same as you.

Advertisement