Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deise Greenway. Cycle path. Waterford City to Dungarvan.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Daffodil.d wrote: »
    Kids will be kids. Especially the younger ones and it's there for the use of everyone. It's the adults on bikes that should know better. Don't be put off though. You shouldn't have to miss out on such an amenity and I had this chat with my mother who's in her 60's and was saying the same as you.
    A few times I did use it before it was open bells rung and even a shout we still had issues with groups taking up the whole path. Reality is everyone needs to take responsibility when on it and to be aware there are others on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Daffodil.d wrote: »
    They have 'the greenway code' written up at certain points.
    Thanks for mentioning that, a quick search brought this up.
    Looks like horses are banned, which is strange.
    DOG WALKERS
    Keep dogs on a short lead
    Clean up after your dog
    I'd say this is the piece that will be ignored the most.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'd say this is the piece that will be ignored the most.

Honestly so far its pretty clear,
    I've done Clonea to Kilmacthomas and back and not noticed any dog ****, on the day of the official open I did 7miles of it and again noticed none.

On Wednesday last I ran WIT campus to just past Kilmacthomas and back and again I didn't spot any then either.

If it is going to be an issue its likely going to be near Bilberry on the Waterford side and the same situation at Dungarven side. But for the majority of the greenway it won't be an issue.

Actually, just to add, near Clonea I did actually notice some dog poo bags thrown to the side of the greenway. Why somebody goes through the bother of bagging the stuff and then littering with the bag is beyond me. They'd be better off leaving the poo on the ground without the plastic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Cabaal wrote: »
    Honestly so far its pretty clear,
    I've done Clonea to Kilmacthomas and back and not noticed any dog ****, on the day of the official open I did 7miles of it and again noticed none.

On Wednesday last I ran WIT campus to just past Kilmacthomas and back and again I didn't spot any then either.

If it is going to be an issue its likely going to be near Bilberry on the Waterford side and the same situation at Dungarven side. But for the majority of the greenway it won't be an issue.
    No complaints here if it stays that way. The park across from me isn't so fortunate.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

So I did WIT Campus to just past Kilmac last Wednesday as a run, was chatting to one of the workmen handling the detour and he mentioned they've got a few people being abusive to them. It's a shame really and in all honesty they should have pushed back the opening by 2-3 weeks to allow the section that be more finished to avoid this, but of course it's not the workmen that had the final say on this no doubt.

The workman mentioned one guy who traveled from up the country was not happy at all to be told about the detour, can't say I blame them after all the fanfair about the official opening in the papers.

For anyone curious where the detour section was you can take a look here https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1648775858

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,420 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

So I did WIT Campus to just past Kilmac last Wednesday as a run, was chatting to one of the workmen handling the detour and he mentioned they've got a few people being abusive to them. It's a shame really and in all honesty they should have pushed back the opening by 2-3 weeks to allow the section that be more finished to avoid this, but of course it's not the workmen that had the final say on this no doubt.

The workman mentioned one guy who traveled from up the country was not happy at all to be told about the detour, can't say I blame them after all the fanfair about the official opening in the papers.

For anyone curious where the detour section was you can take a look here https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1648775858

what distance of the detour is on the n25? we were out there with kids on sunday and im glad we avoided the detour area, id be very reluctant to bring kids on that section for the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Waterford Blaa

It's fully open. There won't be any more closures or detours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

It's fully open. There won't be any more closures or detours.

Is that confirmed?
    By whom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Why somebody goes through the bother of bagging the stuff and then littering with the bag is beyond me. They'd be better off leaving the poo on the ground without the plastic!

What usually happens is that someone bags the poo, then carries it along for half a kilometre or so, waiting for a litter bin to put it in. When there isn't any, they finally throw it down.

I used to walk my dog in Bushy Park. The one time I put a bag of poo in the car was the last time!

Dog walkers are as responsible or irresponsible as everyone else - they'll follow the herd. If there are litter bins, 95% will put the bagged poo in them. If not…

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

spookwoman wrote: »
    Bugger only have a racer. Looking at the map looks like few farmers took the rail land as their own. Don't think there is squatters rights on rail lines even if they are decommissioned.

As long as the Act of Parliament establishing the railway hasn't been repealed, it would be impossible to acquire squatters' rights.

Once repealed, I would expect the 30 year term of limitation for land owned by a state-owned entity to apply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Chuchote wrote: »
    What usually happens is that someone bags the poo, then carries it along for half a kilometre or so, waiting for a litter bin to put it in. When there isn't any, they finally throw it down.

I used to walk my dog in Bushy Park. The one time I put a bag of poo in the car was the last time!

Dog walkers are as responsible or irresponsible as everyone else - they'll follow the herd. If there are litter bins, 95% will put the bagged poo in them. If not…

TBH it's not the responsibility of the greenway / counsel to provide litter bins so people with dogs don't have to walk with bags of dog poo in their pockets. If someone doesn't like carrying poo then either don't get a dog or don't walk it on the greenway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Well, you could stop feeding the dog but that's punishable I reckon. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭rekdtangle

There should be some bins though in fairness.

Walked a few miles of it last night and had to carry my empty coffee cup for the majority. A bin every few KM would be sufficient.

rekdtangle wrote: »

Walked a few miles of it last night and had to carry my empty coffee cup for the majority. A bin every few KM would be sufficient.

Or you could just bring the cup home with you since you brought it to the greenway in the first place. The idea is to not leave a trace.

Whatever you do don't ever go walking in the Comeragh or Wicklow mountains, you'll be in for a awful shock. :eek:

The idea of bins is all fine and good but then you have to pay to install them and pay to empty them, unless you are going to put them bang on next to exists this means you'll also have to drive a council truck on the actual greenway to empty them.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

The dont want to install bins as they feel these will be used to get rid of household waste, I can understand why theyd have these concerns to be honest too.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭rekdtangle

Or you could just bring the cup home with you since you brought it to the greenway in the first place. The idea is to not leave a trace.

Whatever you do don't ever go walking in the Comeragh or Wicklow mountains, you'll be in for a awful shock. :eek:

The idea of bins is all fine and good but then you have to pay to install them and pay to empty them, unless you are going to put them bang on next to exists this means you'll also have to drive a council truck on the actual greenway to empty them.

I wouldn't expect to find a bin in either of those places.

But a newly built walkway without a bin in sight? It's only asking for trouble in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

rekdtangle wrote: »

Did you not have a pocket you could put the empty in, just squash the cup down and it will fit right in.

Bins actually cause rubbish to accumulate. As pointed some muppets will put household waste in, this is a greenway so no real access for vehicles, having to carry a couple of used items isn't actually much of a chore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

spookwoman wrote: »
    TBH it's not the responsibility of the greenway / counsel to provide litter bins so people with dogs don't have to walk with bags of dog poo in their pockets. If someone doesn't like carrying poo then either don't get a dog or don't walk it on the greenway.

You sound like a right auld craic,cyclists should use bells and not cycle fast,walkers and runners should keep left and pass on the right,dog owners should keep their pet on a short lead and clean up after him/her,a majority of people will adhere to these rules but a lot of people wont thats life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

You/d imagine most users woud have a rucksack/carry-all for food and drink, change of footwear even. Not hard to keep your own litter until getting home. Preparedness, flexibility and improvisation really do seem to be beyond so many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Aquos76 wrote: »
    The dont want to install bins as they feel these will be used to get rid of household waste, I can understand why theyd have these concerns to be honest too.

The die hard rubbish dumpers aren't going to walk a mile down the greenway to get rid of their household waste.

• Advertisement

i have been on the mountains before with people who were wondering where the toilets where:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    i have been on the mountains before with people who were wondering where the toilets where:D

I hope you told them the toilets were all around them!

I hope you told them the toilets were all around them!

ah in fairness they were foreign visitors, funny though

Bins actually cause rubbish to accumulate. As pointed some muppets will put household waste in, this is a greenway so no real access for vehicles, having to carry a couple of used items isn't actually much of a chore.

The solution?
    • Bins clearly marked as being for dog waste
    • With a mouth the size of a bag of poo
    • Emptied daily
    • Sited where dog poo accumulates - dogs usually poo where there's the smell of other dogs' poo

The solution?
    • Bins clearly marked as being for dog waste
    • With a mouth the size of a bag of poo
    • Emptied daily
    • Sited where dog poo accumulates - dogs usually poo where there's the smell of other dogs' poo

Emptying every day? And how do you suggest this is funded?

The solution to this is far simpler then installing bins, leave no trace.

It's that simple, whatever you bring with you to the greenway you bring home with you. People need to take some personal responsibility and stop blaming others and expecting others to clean up after them.

This is no fault of the council, it's the fault of lazy, inconsiderate scumbags who think littering of any kind isn't a big deal.

Instead of bins, install some temp cctv on some blackspots and fine those who don't clean up after themselves, after all... Dogs poo where other dogs poo ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

The solution to this is far simpler then installing bins, leave no trace.

Spot on.

I doubt having someone cycle a trailer down each area of the park once a day and remove cans of poo is going to break the bank. And being realistic, people walking dogs are not going to walk for an hour and a half (my typical dog walk time when I did such walks) holding a bag of poo. By the same token, some of the bags may have been left at the side of the road for later collection on the way back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

And being realistic, people walking dogs are not going to walk for an hour and a half (my typical dog walk time when I did such walks) holding a bag of poo.

Why not? I've often done this. It's the owner's responsibility to deal with it, not some council worker on a bicycle with a trailer.

It did cross my mind that people were leaving the bags there to pick up on the way back, but a half dozen bags in the one spot? Unlikely, to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

doggie toilets is the real answer!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Instead of bins, install some temp cctv on some blackspots and fine those who don't clean up after themselves, after all... Dogs poo where other dogs poo ;)

I think i read on one of the greenway facebook pages that they are going to have wardens on it before the end of the year dont know how true that is though,the number one reason why people litter is because nothing it going to be done to them temp cctv and fines will not stop anyone,how many fines have you seen people get for not cleaning up after their dog?

Advertisement