Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deise Greenway. Cycle path. Waterford City to Dungarvan.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

beazee wrote: »
    Wasn't there official opening of the Greenway on the 25th March? /s :rolleyes:

Yes there was but it didnt include Bilberry as its not finished yet :rolleyes:

Why isnt Bilberry on the official map?

17458375_1777650359220066_6449813300137897994_n.jpg?oh=643e7546141fd2c12172e8cc0b71fbe0&oe=598D8A83

Why isnt it on the interactive map?http://waterfordcouncil.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=9dc02c1380b649da96d0a7032cababe1

Why wasnt Bilberry involved in the opening day celebrations? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Yes there was but it didnt include Bilberry as its not finished yet :rolleyes:

Why isnt Bilberry on the official map?

17458375_1777650359220066_6449813300137897994_n.jpg?oh=643e7546141fd2c12172e8cc0b71fbe0&oe=598D8A83

Why isnt it on the interactive map?http://waterfordcouncil.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=9dc02c1380b649da96d0a7032cababe1

Why wasnt Bilberry involved in the opening day celebrations? :rolleyes:

Because it wasn't complete enough to use at the time

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Road-Hog wrote: »

Not only that but currently the road down to it would be a nightmare if they had tried to have the opening down there, then we'd have people moaning here about how badly the council did the opening.

I guess you can't win with some people...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Road-Hog wrote: »

So it's open now they have sorted the direct access route from the city ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Cycling Ireland sent out an email today with this link http://www.deisegreenway.com/routemap.php Bilberry is listed as completed also on the downloadable map from the Councils page Bilberry is there with http://www.waterfordcouncil.ie/images/GIS/Greenways/WaterfordGreenway2017Map.pdf

They are making it sound like it is completed when it's not.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Group of us doing an out and back run on the greenway on Saturday morning from the quays in Waterford to Dungarvan and back, should take a few hours. Expecting it to clock in at around 98km by the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Cabaal wrote: »
    Group of use doing an out and back run on the greenway on Saturday morning from the quays in Waterford to Dungarvan and back, should take a few hours. Expecting it to clock in at around 98km by the end.

Any tips for curing piriformis syndrome? I'd love to run even 20 miles of it

• Registered Users Posts: 29,417 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Any tips for curing piriformis syndrome? I'd love to run even 20 miles of it

would foam rolling do anything and/or a deep tissue massage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    would foam rolling do anything and/or a deep tissue massage?

Afraid not. It alleviates it enough the do 5 miles but slowly tightens. Would be great to talk to someone who got through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 rachelmcg

Cabaal wrote: »
    Group of us doing an out and back run on the greenway on Saturday morning from the quays in Waterford to Dungarvan and back, should take a few hours. Expecting it to clock in at around 98km by the end.

Will you let us know how you get on Cabaal?

Myself and a friend are going to drive down from Cork to be there early on Sunday morning to do the full route from Dungarvan and back.

We're interested in elevation (if there is much) and traffic.

Hope its enjoyable :)

• Advertisement

Afraid not. It alleviates it enough the do 5 miles but slowly tightens. Would be great to talk to someone who got through it.

ah sure my knees are shot, im still waiting to find that elucidate person to explain what the hell is wrong with them. frustrating :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,466 ✭✭✭✭looksee

rachelmcg wrote: »

Myself and a friend are going to drive down from Cork to be there early on Sunday morning to do the full route from Dungarvan and back.

I haven't been on the entire length, but the couple of bits I have been on have some really nice intermittent elevated bits with views across the countryside - unless of course you are talking about going up and down hills which you do not do as it is a disused railway track!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

40:1 incline is considered a bit steep on a railway line!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

As others have said, it's an ex railway line so no steep grades. I've been on it all from before Carrolls Cross to Dungarvan and the steepest I've seen is 2-3% between Mahon Bridge and Durrow and at that the 3% only briefly. Not sure about Kilmeaden and Carroll's Cross as I haven't been on that bit yet, but I can't imagine it's any different

Enjoy!

The day went well, we took it handy enough as it was about time on our feet as a training run for everyone in the group taking part.

I will say that a flat route like this is harder to run than a route with some hills now and then.

Here's the elevation of the entire thing, its not very much...
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1680025422

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

My Garmin 520 registered 238m of overall elevation whilst doing the full greenway from Dungarvan to Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Is there anywhere else in Waterford that rents bikes for the Greenways besides Jacobs?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Is there anywhere else in Waterford that rents bikes for the Greenways besides Jacobs?

Yeah there is, there's a place down beside the Granary on the Quay

Waterford Greenway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Also - Waterford Cycle Centre (in the same business park as NCT Centre) do rent bikes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Waterford Blaa

http://www.visitwaterford.com/things-to-do/stories/itinerary/BikeHire.php

Also www.thegreenwayman.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 carlfleming

I rented a bike from Waterford Greenway bike hire in Waterford city. Their website says they're on Merchant's quay but they're technically on Hanover street. Great bike, good service. They were open early on Sunday morning which was handy.

For the full round trip from Merchant's quay to Dungarvan and back, my strava app clocked 690m elevation gain. But that included some cycling up and down from the viaduct to the town in Kilmacthomas. It's worth seeing from both above and below if you get the chance. I imagine a train on that viaduct would have been an impressive sight when it was in use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

About how long does it take to cycle end to end and back?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

If you don't mind me asking, how much did the bike hire cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭blue_blue

Aquos76 wrote: »
    If you don't mind me asking, how much did the bike hire cost?

http://www.waterfordgreenwaybikehire.com/bike-hire/bikes-and-prices.html
    PRICING FOR 2017
    ADULTS: €20 PER HIRE
    KIDS: €10 PER HIRE
    Kalkhoff Electric Bikes: €45
    BUGGIES, CHILD SEATS, HELMETS, LOOKS,
    HI VIS JACKETS - ALL INCLUDED IN RENTAL

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Alpha Centauri

Or

http://greenwaywaterfordbikehire.ie/prices/

they also run a bus to Dungarvan and you cycle back ( bus = €8 or if you have your own bike you can use the bus for €12 )
    Bike Hire Prices

€15 per bike – ADULT

€10 per bike – CHILD

€10 – TOW-ALONG

https://www.facebook.com/greenwaywaterford/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Good to know people are cycling both ways on Hybrids.

Buying a Hybrid Cube SL Road Pro, and was worrying about my choice. Road or CX might have been better, but not cycled in over 20 years, and apart from hand positions, a flat bar will be grand I hope.

Can always buy a road/CX bike down the road if the cycling bug sticks.

Can't wait to cycle the Greenway, with there and back bring the goal after a while

Will definitely be availing of the bus, for Dungarvan to Waterford, until I become more fit

Hopefully the shuttle bus service will be extended to week days, - it's only Saturdays for the moment. I found it very busy the Saturday I did it, - a lot of familiies with buggies and little bikes and people walking their dogs. It's a great facility for a family day out but I think I'd prefer a weekday to avoid stopping and starting all the time. It's a bit too far to cycle to Dungarvan and back to Waterford so the shuttlebus is a great addition. Well done Waterford Co Council for a terrific facility :)

moonboy52 wrote: »
    Good to know people are cycling both ways on Hybrids.

Buying a Hybrid Cube SL Road Pro, and was worrying about my choice. Road or CX might have been better, but not cycled in over 20 years, and apart from hand positions, a flat bar will be grand I hope.

Can always buy a road/CX bike down the road if the cycling bug sticks.

Can't wait to cycle the Greenway, with there and back bring the goal after a while

Will definitely be availing of the bus, for Dungarvan to Waterford, until I become more fit

i dont think you ll be disappointed with your choice, i bought a cube mountain bike some time ago, great machine. hybrids are lovely bikes, perfect for treks such as the greenway and beyond.
    inthehat wrote: »
    Hopefully the shuttle bus service will be extended to week days, - it's only Saturdays for the moment. I found it very busy the Saturday I did it, - a lot of familiies with buggies and little bikes and people walking their dogs. It's a great facility for a family day out but I think I'd prefer a weekday to avoid stopping and starting all the time. It's a bit too far to cycle to Dungarvan and back to Waterford so the shuttlebus is a great addition. Well done Waterford Co Council for a terrific facility :)

is the shuttle bus available for non renters?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Alpha Centauri

greenway.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

It is, think it's 12 euro, from a few posts up.

The owner was on the dole I think, and started the business.

Fair play to him and wish him all the best (have no ties to him)

Edit: was not able to see Alpha Centauri's post on the mobile app, when i posted

Advertisement