Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deise Greenway. Cycle path. Waterford City to Dungarvan.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

If you get a chance it's worth listening back to Barry Egan - Bus Eireann being interviewed by Ciara Kelly who's covering for George Hook on Newstalk. The interview was earlier today around 1.30pm.

He covered the Deise Greenway and was so impressed by it, nothing but huge praise for it and he included a variety of things that you can do along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

First day cycling the Greenway.

Managed the City to a few km outside of Kilmeaden and back.

Very impressed, such a lovely resource to have.

To be in Nature, without the sound of cars is just fantastic.

There were parts of it, pretty stoney, but mostly pretty flat.

If only it was Tarmac'd all the way, but hey one can dream :D

Lots of business will be generated for the region which is a great thing

• Registered Users Posts: 29,417 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

deisemum wrote: »
    If you get a chance it's worth listening back to Barry Egan - Bus Eireann being interviewed by Ciara Kelly who's covering for George Hook on Newstalk. The interview was earlier today around 1.30pm.

He covered the Deise Greenway and was so impressed by it, nothing but huge praise for it and he included a variety of things that you can do along the way.

http://www.newstalk.com/listen_back/9/35584/25th_April_2017_-_High_Noon_Part_2/

final third of the program
    moonboy52 wrote: »
    First day cycling the Greenway.

Managed the City to a few km outside of Kilmeaden and back.

Very impressed, such a lovely resource to have.

To be in Nature, without the sound of cars is just fantastic.

There were parts of it, pretty stoney, but mostly pretty flat.

If only it was Tarmac'd all the way, but hey one can dream :D

Lots of business will be generated for the region which is a great thing

glad it isnt tarmaced all the way to be honest, the gravel finish is more natural looking and isnt too bad to cycle on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Wrote a blog post about the out & back greenway run we did on the 15th,
    http://runninginkilkenny.blogspot.ie/2017/04/waterford-greenway-out-back-training-run.html

Nothing too fancy, few photos and link to garmin. Basically everyone that joined us did at least 20miles of the greenway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭jelutong

I see dog owners are being warned to keep their dogs under control otherwise dogs will be banned on the Greenway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

jelutong wrote: »
    I see dog owners are being warned to keep their dogs under control otherwise dogs will be banned on the Greenway.

I don't take mine up there as I don't want to get in peoples way but I really don't see how anyone is going to stop families who turn up of a weekend with their dog taking it on the Greenway.

tbh Seems a bit of an idol threat. Dogs are banned from the beach in the summer between certain hours but dog owners take very little notice. The county has one dog warden and I can imagine the negative press if he has to stop dogs walking on the Greenway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    http://www.newstalk.com/listen_back/9/35584/25th_April_2017_-_High_Noon_Part_2/

final third of the program

glad it isnt tarmaced all the way to be honest, the gravel finish is more natural looking and isnt too bad to cycle on

I was on it during my lunch break at Carriganore just to have a quick look and it felt rather "industrial" - smelly fresh creosote on new fences, Gabion cages on the left bank and tarmac gravel. No doubt time and nature will soften the feel over the next few years. Hope so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

blue_blue wrote: »
    HI VIS JACKETS
    To ride a bicycle on an off-road track? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

jelutong wrote: »
    The Chief Executive of Waterford Council has warned that Dogs may be banned from the Greenway if they are not kept under control.

The Greenway has been a great success since it was officially opened a month ago, with the Council expecting visitor numbers of over 100,000 per year.

However there have been complaints about dog fouling and dogs off leads.

Michael Walsh said dog wardens are patrolling the cycle and walkway and they will take action.

'This is the single biggest investment in the City and County in years and people either cop on or we will take measures to deal with it.'

http://www.wlrfm.com/news/local/110164-warning-over-dogs-on-greenway.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,959 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Wonderful project and well done to all who fought for it.

Not to be a killjoy or anything, but the emphasis seems to be on cycling. That's fine, but there are folk like me who like to walk too!

Anyway, I have searched for information regarding accommodation, pit stops, toilets, how to get on and off (say to stay in B+B), and either I am dumb or the information is just not collated fully yet.

I would walk over say three days (leisurely and enjoy the scenery) and stop each night somewhere. I'm wondering if someone could point me in the direction of places/villages to stay at say 15km distance each day or a little more.

I am not from Waterford so I don't know the area well.

I think an upgrade to the website to include this kind of information would be good. It's all about cycle hire and dogs AFAIS!

Thanks to anyone who could help. I would take the shuttle bus to Dungarvan and walk back.

Here's one bnb that I think must overlook the Greenway, a short walk from the railway bridge at Ballyvoile http://www.comeraghviewbnb.com/ but no more than 8k outside the start/finish line at Dungarvan.

my3cents wrote: »
    Here's one bnb that I think must overlook the Greenway, a short walk from the railway bridge at Ballyvoile http://www.comeraghviewbnb.com/ but no more than 8k outside the start/finish line at Dungarvan.

Thanks for the link. Not a mention of the Greenway on that site though!

I suppose things will settle down in time. But the season is upon us, and honestly, if people want to walk that route over a few days, there is precious little information for them.

But if you want to cycle, run, or take your dog for a walk, there is endless information.

Just having a rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Try copper coast holidays
    Kierseys bar kilmacthomas
    Air b&b have bit.

Thank you everyone.

Looks like I must do a bit of legwork all by myself on this!

But it's early days for everyone, I get that. I just hope that in time local BnBs and access to them + maps and directions will feature at some point.

Not everyone is a cyclist!

Thanks again, and I look forward to much more info in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Cabaal wrote: »
    Wrote a blog post about the out & back greenway run we did on the 15th,

Wow Cabaal.

That was an impressive feat.

My goal is to cycle it. To run it, i could not even contemplate it.

Fair play to all involved!

Thank you everyone.

Looks like I must do a bit of legwork all by myself on this!

But it's early days for everyone, I get that. I just hope that in time local BnBs and access to them + maps and directions will feature at some point.

Not everyone is a cyclist!

Thanks again, and I look forward to much more info in the future.

I don't see their website being updated anytime soon was surprised even to see they had one ;) The house is not far from the Greenway and also walking distance from the Greenway Mans base at Mahony’s Pub in Durrow. Not only bike hire but I think he does a walking History tour every Wednesday evening.

I don't see their website being updated anytime soon was surprised even to see they had one ;) The house is not far from the Greenway and also walking distance from the Greenway Mans base at Mahony?s Pub in Durrow. Not only bike hire but I think he does a walking History tour every Wednesday evening.

Yep, more information needed!

But as I said, give it a year or so, and it will all be sorted I am sure. Local businesses will want to capitalise. But they seem to be a bit slow on that front at the moment!

I looks fantastic, and I cannot wait to walk it.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Waterford26

I don't take mine up there as I don't want to get in peoples way but I really don't see how anyone is going to stop families who turn up of a weekend with their dog taking it on the Greenway.

tbh Seems a bit of an idol threat. Dogs are banned from the beach in the summer between certain hours but dog owners take very little notice. The county has one dog warden and I can imagine the negative press if he has to stop dogs walking on the Greenway.

Well, was there on tuesday with my bike. Had a nice ride until I passed two ladies with dog running wild around them. Both on mobiles, no dog lead and didnt gave sh1te what is the dog doin. Dog suddenly turned agressive and chased me for about 200meters! Almost bite my leg! This really piss me of. What cud happen if i was there with my 8yr old autistic son??

What cud happen if i was there with my 8yr old autistic son??
    You'd defend him. When on a pushbike, get off and use the bike as a physical barrier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Well, was there on tuesday with my bike. Had a nice ride until I passed two ladies with dog running wild around them. Both on mobiles, no dog lead and didnt gave sh1te what is the dog doin. Dog suddenly turned agressive and chased me for about 200meters! Almost bite my leg! This really piss me of. What cud happen if i was there with my 8yr old autistic son??

You should of stopped kicked the hole off the dog and then done the same to the owner. In all seriousness i would of given them a piece of my mind. Bloody idiots.

alta stare wrote: »
    You should of stopped kicked the hole off the dog and then done the same to the owner. In all seriousness i would of given them a piece of my mind. Bloody idiots.
    Calm down Rambo. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

You'd defend him. When on a pushbike, get off and use the bike as a physical barrier.

It should not be necessary to do so.

It should not be necessary to do so.
    Agreed.

I'm just taking the question asked at face value and answering it.

Greenway is for relax and not stress and fear. Some people are just so ignorant but one day karma will catch them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Did it definitely turn aggressive or just run along with you for a bit excitedly? If it turned aggressive then you need to let someone know because otherwise it will only be a matter of time before somebody is bitten on the greenway. One thing to note thou, people not keeping their dogs on leads on these type of things is not a Waterford thing or even an Irish thing, dog walkers do this everywhere on these type of amenities (maybe not in Holland).

Deiseen wrote: »
    Did it definitely turn aggressive or just run along with you for a bit excitedly? If it turned aggressive then you need to let someone know because otherwise it will only be a matter of time before somebody is bitten on the greenway. One thing to note thou, people not keeping their dogs on leads on these type of things is not a Waterford thing or even an Irish thing, dog walkers do this everywhere on these type of amenities (maybe not in Holland).
    Defo agressive..had two dogs yrs ago so know the difference between excitement and agression. The other thing is true, but greenway rules says it clear. Keep on right hand side and dogs must be kept on lead all the time.
    Look, I understand that dog may b very cute but its stil animal and as few researches shows their mood can turn in a second caused by many factors which cant b expected. And thats why they should b on lead. I dont mind dogs, i do like them but they dont belong to idiots hands.
    PS there was nobody to say this to. Only two other cyclist which I advised b careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Hopefully, in time, there will be posted signs and ability to make on the spot fines for having a dog on the greenway without a lead attached.

I like dogs and have had at least one most of my adult life, but there is no way the enjoyment of this facility by other users should be impacted by loose dogs.

The time to get tough on this is now ...... start out as you mean to continue, for the benefit of all.

Hopefully, in time, there will be posted signs and ability to make on the spot fines for having a dog on the greenway without a lead attached.

I like dogs and have had at least one most of my adult life, but there is no way the enjoyment of this facility by other users should be impacted by loose dogs.

The time to get tough on this is now ...... start out as you mean to continue, for the benefit of all.

Absolutely! Thumb up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Greenway is for relax and not stress and fear. Some people are just so ignorant but one day karma will catch them

(Lights Zippo, and with raised eyebrow, tosses it in slow motion onto puddle of gasoline dripping from dog owner) "Karma's a b1tch, huh?"

You're right though, dog owners who don't keep them on a lead are a curse in places like the Greenway. I've had huge dogs run up to me, causing me to take a protective stance over my toddler son, only to be told by the owner "ah he's just being friendly". They should get it through their thick skulls that their "friendly" pooch is frightening in the extreme to a small child (and parent), and what about people who simply don't like dogs? Keep the fcuker on a lead in public!

Advertisement