Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deise Greenway. Cycle path. Waterford City to Dungarvan.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Calm down Rambo. :rolleyes:

Thanks that is just the advice i needed an all. Fair play.

Would you suggest petting the dog and asking him if he is ok? Is that the correct approach toward an dog which is being aggressive? I think not....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

fricatus wrote: »
    (Lights Zippo, and with raised eyebrow, tosses it in slow motion onto puddle of gasoline dripping from dog owner) "Karma's a b1tch, huh?"

You're right though, dog owners who don't keep them on a lead are a curse in places like the Greenway. I've had huge dogs run up to me, causing me to take a protective stance over my toddler son, only to be told by the owner "ah he's just being friendly". They should get it through their thick skulls that their "friendly" pooch is frightening in the extreme to a small child (and parent), and what about people who simply don't like dogs? Keep the fcuker on a lead in public!

I don't get some dog owners.
    Our whippet is very friendly, she wants to play with almost every dog and person.

However, her being friendly means her jumping/prancing towards people which scares the ****e out of them! (can't blame them).

For this reason I always shorten up the lead when walking near people to stop her doing her weird jumping thing. I'm especially mindful near children.

I don't have to worry so much about bikes as shes scared of them and plants herself beside me when they come near.
    Although she'd come back I wouldn't consider leaving her off the lead on the greenway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

It's all about respect for each other.

I bought a decent bell, but it just seems to frighten people, so passing slowly after ringing the bell from a distance that they can hear it, but not too close to frighten, is I hope considerate.

We are all learning proper etiquette I reckon, Cyclists, walkers and dog owners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

alta stare wrote: »
    Would you suggest petting the dog and asking him if he is ok? Is that the correct approach toward an dog which is being aggressive? I think not....
    Yeah, that's my suggestion. Because there's no acceptable response between these two extremes.
    You should of stopped kicked the hole off the dog and then done the same to the owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Iv a big labrador and walk the greenway regular since it opened. He's friendly and playful but it never crossed my mind to leave him off the lead. It's just ignorance to do it. Fair enough if I'm in a field out the country and I know I'm on my own I leave him off then. It's the same walking the roads around town people have dogs off lead and say ah he's friendly but that's not the point cos half the time when a dog is off the lead and it meets a leashed dog its the poor dog that's on the lead that gets worked up and then usually the blame if the loose dog gets in a confrontation. But iv had very little issue on greenway except for couple dogs loose when I was cycling . With regards issue with cyclists and walkers it seems that most people are getting used to the correct way to walk and majority of cyclists are going slow enough.

• Advertisement

Yeah, that's my suggestion. Because there's no acceptable response between these two extremes.

Ah right fair enough maybe i should of said may they step on lego every night for the rest of their lives....that would curse them forever and they would never put a foot wrong again. Kudos my friend.

This thread is really starting to stress me out.
    I live close to a couple of nice spots for getting onto the greenway and have been walking on it with my dogs for months and they love it as do I.

I keep them on short leads at all times and always pick up after them.

My little dog is terrified of other dogs getting into his personal space and does a lot of yapping and lunging if any come near him. So dogs having to be kept on lead meant the greenway was perfect for us and we never had any incidents there.

Since the opening and reading about people leaving their dogs off lead I've only been on it once when it was getting dark and quiet. I'm really annoyed about this because it's so beautiful and makes for such a good walk. But like someone else said, when the 'friendly' off lead dog comes bounding up at us and my little leashed fella kicks off, we will undoubtedly be blamed for the ruckus.

I'll be so upset if irresponsible dog owners ruin it for the rest of us and get dogs banned.

On a side note, the last time I was on it I was appalled at how many empty water bottles and baby wipes were discarded on the sides. If I can carry a bag of smelly sh*t I'm sure others can carry their rubbish!

Ah right fair enough maybe i should of said may they step on lego every night for the rest of their lives....that would curse them forever and they would never put a foot wrong again. Kudos my friend.
    Now we're on the same wavelength. :)
    May they step on lego every night for the rest of their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Thanks for the link. Not a mention of the Greenway on that site though!

I suppose things will settle down in time. But the season is upon us, and honestly, if people want to walk that route over a few days, there is precious little information for them.

But if you want to cycle, run, or take your dog for a walk, there is endless information.

Just having a rant.

The official site would get in trouble and the site would be too unwieldy in my opinion if they listed every single piece of available accommodation along the entire route - sure you'd have to list everything in Waterford City and Dungarvan.

The Map itself is easy to follow, just have a look at what your likely distance is going to be and then check accommodation there. So if you think you'd walk 20km the first day then stay in Kilmacthomas.

It's really not difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

I'm going to hire a bike and then skip the country with the bike.

Hahahaha..I'm evil me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Anyone know what the deal is with those traffic lights near the quay, are we going to have to put up with them until land owners allow it be re-routed.

The route was a good way of getting to the train station and avoiding most traffic but those lights are a pain.
    ____

It's a shame the council didn't fund the extension of Kilmeaden Railway into the city as well. Would be a fantastic addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭jelutong

The lights at the Bilberry halting site you mean ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

jelutong wrote: »
    The lights at the Bilberry halting site you mean ?

Yeah

I know this is a seperate issue but couldnt the council not set up a dog park? I have dogs and kids, i would love a place to bring my dogs for a walk off the lead and id happily pay a few euro upon entry. Just an idea, Dog parks in USA seem to do OK, I'd like a park that dogs were the main focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

I know this is a seperate issue but couldnt the council not set up a dog park? I have dogs and kids, i would love a place to bring my dogs for a walk off the lead and id happily pay a few euro upon entry. Just an idea, Dog parks in USA seem to do OK, I'd like a park that dogs were the main focus.

Too much dog sh1t to deal with....!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I was thinking the same thing myself there's a few in Dublin so cant see why it wouldnt work here

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Anyone know what the deal is with those traffic lights near the quay, are we going to have to put up with them until land owners allow it be re-routed.

The route was a good way of getting to the train station and avoiding most traffic but those lights are a pain.
    ____

It's a shame the council didn't fund the extension of Kilmeaden Railway into the city as well. Would be a fantastic addition.

In all fairness waiting a few minutes at the lights isnt going to be detrimental to someones day. At the moment the lights are needed.

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    I'm going to hire a bike and then skip the country with the bike.
    All that skipping sounds exhausting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

inthehat wrote: »
    I'm thinking of starting at WIT some day next week - is there a designated car park for the greenway in WIT or do you just park in the college's own parking area? And is it easy to find the start of the track when you drive in there? The Greenway's own website isn't very helpful.

By Wit I presume ya mean carraiganore. Just turn into carraiganore complex and greenway car park is on the right. The entrance to greenway itself is in far corner as you drive into that car park. Can't miss it really. Enjoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Anyone know the story with concessions? At the weekends the footfall should be a no brainer for certain types of business using pop-up shops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,466 ✭✭✭✭looksee

No! Concessions selling food, icecreams and sweets would create a litter nightmare about a mile down the way. And parents really do not want their kids nagging for sweets when they are supposed to be on a shop-free day walking or cycling. And who is going to buy cheap toilet rolls or other market tat when they will have to carry it?

looksee wrote: »
    No! Concessions selling food, icecreams and sweets would create a litter nightmare about a mile down the way. And parents really do not want their kids nagging for sweets when they are supposed to be on a shop-free day walking or cycling. And who is going to buy cheap toilet rolls or other market tat when they will have to carry it?

Well this may come as a shock but most people drive home after they've been out walking! If someone was selling say oh I dunno, say organic/free range boxes to outdoors types as they come back that might be a go-er.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Coffee, sandwiches and ice cream would be perfect. Are they going to Tarmac the surface by carriganore to kilmeaden? Very bumpy with a trailer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

looksee wrote: »

Totally agree, you're walking not picnic ing.

I'd say people will picnic though (regardless of anything sold or not in a car park).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I'd say people will picnic though (regardless of anything sold or not in a car park).

Indeed, and why not?
    It could be a long day out so of course some sustenance would be required.

In fact it might be a good idea to have designated areas for sitting and snacking so the potential refuse problem might be better controlled.

I suspect there are going to be two tribes on the Greenway - the casuals who just wants a ramble in the sun for a few miles with scenic views and the "Lyrca louts" (be they on a bike or in running shoes) who will seek to prove themselves in some way shape or form. The former will no doubt be 'picnicking' on verges and low walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

I suspect there are going to be two tribes on the Greenway - the casuals who just wants a ramble in the sun for a few miles with scenic views and the "Lyrca louts" (be they on a bike or in running shoes) who will seek to prove themselves in some way shape or form. The former will no doubt be 'picnicking' on verges and low walls.

Lycra louts???
    F#€k those fit people trying to be healthy eh?

Nothing to do with that - rather it's how they and the rest interact on a fairly narrow track.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭brianomc

Nothing to do with that - rather it's how they and the rest interact on a fairly narrow track.

I'm a "lycra lout". Whenever I see children coming towards me I slow down to a near stop in case they lose balance, run out in front of me or whatever. I usually get a thanks or a smile off their parents. I might not slow as much for adults but I still slow a fair bit.

Same applies for when I'm coming up behind people, I slow to a crawl and give them a wide berth. I usually end up cycling on the grass to go around them if they are walking on the cycle lane rather than startling them by calling out (phoenix park, not the greenway although I look forwad to using it). I don't have a bell but my wheels make a nice clicking sound when I don't pedal, like having a playing card hitting the spokes which normally gets people attention.

When I have the lane to myself and the conditions suit, then yep, I'm gonna go as fast as I can. Just because I dress in clothes suitable for a long spin in the saddle doesn't mean I think I'm in the tour de france.

Advertisement