Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deise Greenway. Cycle path. Waterford City to Dungarvan.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Good for you, your mother is proud of you no doubt (translation - it's not all about you), but we know there are total arses out there who fancy themselves. In the same way there are irresponsible dog owners who'll not be bothered about controlling their animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Good for you, your mother is proud of you no doubt (translation - it's not all about you), but we know there are total arses out there who fancy themselves. In the same way there are irresponsible dog owners who'll not be bothered about controlling their animals.

... and parents who do not control their children ;)

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭brianomc

Of course she's proud, I'm awesome.

You were the one talking of "two tribes", I was just trying to point out that what someone wears shouldn't matter, but rather how they interact with others. But please, send me on your rules for the greenway so I know which walls I can sit and relax on.

Let's not forget groups of walkers who take up the width of the path and don't make space when you approach. I'm not sure what their designated uniform is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭jelutong

I cycle the Greenway in my dull everyday clothes. I go green with envy when I see those beautifully turned out athletes whizzing along. Going by their uniforms most of them seem to be French, German Dutch Italian etc. Very few Irish kits to be seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

It would be nice to sit down and have cup of coffee or tea along the way maybe its something the council will have in the future,ive seen people have picnics on it already it would be nice for them to have a designated area with seats etc

• Advertisement

It's the sort of thing that'll happen by osmosis, piece-meal fashion.

It's the sort of thing that'll happen by osmosis, piece-meal fashion.

What are you on about,tribes,osmosis,piece-meal fashion :confused:

What do you think - look up the words and then apply the meaning that is most appropriate to the context of their use. Quite easy for the vaguely literate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

It would be nice to sit down and have cup of coffee or tea along the way maybe its something the council will have in the future,ive seen people have picnics on it already it would be nice for them to have a designated area with seats etc

And leave their litter/sh1t behind them as in their view it is councils function to accommodate everyone's empty coffee cups, biscuit wrappers, soiled nappies, fag buts, etc etc.....if you can bring a back pack full of food with you on a greenway excursion then surely you can bring a the lighter version gone with you, and include the litter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

the casuals who just wants a ramble in the sun for a few miles with scenic views and the "Lyrca louts" (be they on a bike or in running shoes) who will seek to prove themselves in some way shape or form.
    Otherwise known as people.

• Advertisement

Road-Hog wrote: »
    And leave their litter/sh1t behind them as in their view it is councils function to accommodate everyone's empty coffee cups, biscuit wrappers, soiled nappies, fag buts, etc etc.....if you can bring a back pack full of food with you on a greenway excursion then surely you can bring a the lighter version gone with you, and include the litter?

Who are these that you are referring to?
    Everyone who has a snack and or rest?

Ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Who are these that you are referring to?
    Everyone who has a snack and or rest?

Ridiculous!

Probably just means some Irish people who are ignorant when it comes to litter....no getting away from it, Irish people, some of us at least are bad on littering, zero civic pride, sense of entitlement, lack of consequences, lack of self responsibility, whatever,,...already irresponsible dog owners mentioned so it's not without foundation.

Max Powers wrote: »
    Probably just means some Irish people who are ignorant when it comes to litter....no getting away from it, Irish people, some of us at least are bad on littering, zero civic pride,...already irresponsible dog owners mentioned so it's not without foundation.

What is unreasonable is that everyone else should be deprived of facilities just because a few stupid people are irresponsible.

On that basis the Greenway should be shut down to keep 'those people' off it. That should prevent them littering!

Good numbers for the first month but i thought there would be more cyclists on the city side

C_Td_GzXkAEhCfC.jpg

C_Td_HLXkAE1N0L.jpg

C_Td_G4XoAEWyEV.jpg

C_Td_HNWsAAbY0c.jpg

https://twitter.com/maryroche

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Nothing to do with that - rather it's how they and the rest interact on a fairly narrow track.

I guess I'm one of them, I stay on the left hand side as required when running, I don't litter, I try make a noise when approaching people from behind so I don't scare them and unless I'm wrecked tired I say hello to almost every person I see... Especially if it's not mad busy.

Yep, I sound awful! Shame on me!

What is unreasonable is that everyone else should be deprived of facilities just because a few stupid people are irresponsible.

On that basis the Greenway should be shut down to keep 'those people' off it. That should prevent them littering!

Don't know about unreasonable, unfair, yes.similar goes for many things, traffic stops, pedestrian crossings points, etc...most people would be safe and stop/leave person cross, but significant minority of ignorant pigs mean we need clear instructions.there are food places at both ends,kilmeaden,kilmac,durrow and various places to stop and sit in between, that's enough IMO, picnicking spots would be destroyed by people in short time..people need to learn, its not councils or anyone else's job to pick up after them.council don't have the resources to regularly clean I'd presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

I suspect there are going to be two tribes on the Greenway - the casuals who just wants a ramble in the sun for a few miles with scenic views and the "Lyrca louts" (be they on a bike or in running shoes) who will seek to prove themselves in some way shape or form. The former will no doubt be 'picnicking' on verges and low walls.

so the greenway shouldnt be used for cycling or running??

it should be used only for the person who wants a casual stroll?

but significant minority of ignorant pigs mean we need clear instructions.
    Instructions. That's all that's needed to make it all work.

Instructions. That's all that's needed to make it all work.

you could add in a sense of civic pride I suppose, plus education and penalties.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

you could add in a sense of civic pride I suppose, plus education and penalties.

...the carrot, the stick and the kitchen sink, eh.....:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Don't know about unreasonable, unfair, yes.similar goes for many things, traffic stops, pedestrian crossings points, etc...most people would be safe and stop/leave person cross, but significant minority of ignorant pigs mean we need clear instructions.there are food places at both ends,kilmeaden,kilmac,durrow and various places to stop and sit in between, that's enough IMO, picnicking spots would be destroyed by people in short time..people need to learn, its not councils or anyone else's job to pick up after them.council don't have the resources to regularly clean I'd presume.

They do have picnic areas already. Every few kms there's there's big rocks layed out for sitting. 4 rocks around one big one that acts as a table. I don't see the problem with having a sit down and a bit of grub. I think people getting carried away and being negative about one of the best things ever achieved in Waterford. Feels like another country when your walking down by the river and then seeing the mountains from kilmac on. Then the seaside, tunnel etc until dungarvan. It has everything and is way better than the western greenway which has very little views but the advertise it's a scenic cycle.

debok wrote: »
    They do have picnic areas already. Every few kms there's there's big rocks layed out for sitting. 4 rocks around one big one that acts as a table. I don't see the problem with having a sit down and a bit of grub. I think people getting carried away and being negative about one of the best things ever achieved in Waterford. Feels like another country when your walking down by the river and then seeing the mountains from kilmac on. Then the seaside, tunnel etc until dungarvan. It has everything and is way better than the western greenway which has very little views but the advertise it's a scenic cycle.

Don't think anyone is being negative, a few people hysterical maybe,I saw couple of those big stones laid out nicely, when I said picnic areas,I meant a few not single ones.fact is, and this is the problem you said you can't see,we're bad taking away litter so it should be limited/encouraged as much as reasonable to the designated areas at kilmeaden, kilmac, etc.we all think its amazing, but if people start rubbishing it or dog owners continue to be irresponsible, it will impact negatively.

penalties.
    Not sure how that's going to work, but I'm willing to try most things once.

picture-taken-from-http-agentpalmer-com-1979-sports-indycar-could-learn-something-from-nascar-a-k-a-dont-finish-the-race-under-yellow.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Don't think anyone is being negative, a few people hysterical maybe,I saw couple of those big stones laid out nicely, when I said picnic areas,I meant a few not single ones.fact is, and this is the problem you said you can't see,we're bad taking away litter so it should be limited/encouraged as much as reasonable to the designated areas at kilmeaden, kilmac, etc.we all think its amazing, but if people start rubbishing it or dog owners continue to be irresponsible, it will impact negatively.

Ah yeh I agree with you. It's Fair annoying people leaving rubbish really don't understand how ya can walk away and leave a mess behind you.The majority of people do the right thing though it only takes a few to mess it up. I walked it for few hours the other day sun was shining and it looked smashing. Great to have on our doorstep

• Registered Users Posts: 29,417 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

greenway on nationwide this friday

http://www.rte.ie/tv/programmes/nationwide.html

Wanderer78 wrote: »

... and according to the presenter there will be another on the Greenway next week ....... apparently a cycle and walk with cameras .... or that is how I understood it.
    Maybe Weds? not sure

... and according to the presenter there will be another on the Greenway next week ....... apparently a cycle and walk with cameras .... or that is how I understood it.
    Maybe Weds? not sure

i believe you're correct. was told they were filming for 9 days on it, so plenty of footage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭jelutong

Didn't it look wonderful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭IspeakcozIcan

The Greenway looked fantastic on Nationwide tonight- just watched it on RTE Player.
    It really is some amenity for Waterford to have. Something to be very proud of.

Advertisement