Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deise Greenway. Cycle path. Waterford City to Dungarvan.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

The Greenway looked fantastic on Nationwide tonight- just watched it on RTE Player.
    It really is some amenity for Waterford to have. Something to be very proud of.

Damn! I missed it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It's on the player - the broadcast was last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,417 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Damn! I missed it!

It's on the player - the broadcast was last week.

I believe it's the newer broadcast from yesterday's nationwide that's been mentioned. I 'll post a link when I get the chance. Missed it myself

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Very good showing. Got us thinking about picking a spot mid way for camping. Day 1, go to the left and back. Day 2, to the right and back.

Loved the bin on the last train, where yer man was caught for the penalty fare.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I believe it's the newer broadcast from yesterday's nationwide that's been mentioned. I 'll post a link when I get the chance. Missed it myself

Oh right, RTE are really spoiling us!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I just had to d/load and watch it, so I have. :D

Marvellous exposure for the Greenway ..... I would have been much more appreciative if they had 'done' the journey from one end to the other, showing both ends as much as they did parts in between.

I can understand why they did not show the city end which is not properly completed into the city centre, but that could easily have been mentioned as a future extension.
    Dungarven did not get much exposure either.

Aside from the minor quibbles I thought it was an extremely positive programme and showcased the best of the greenway and made it sound and look very attractive indeed.

My God, Mary and Anne what a fine pair :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Amf2017

Hi everyone,

Apologies if this question has been asked before. I can't seem to find the answer anywhere!

Does anyone know of a shuttle bus / taxi service if I only want to cycle the Deise Greenway one way on my own bike? The bike hire companies only appear to offer a shuttle service if I hire the bike from them. We will be staying in Dungarvan so are hoping to cycle from Dungarvan to Waterford and get a shuttle back to Dungarvan from there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ann Marie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Greenwaywaterfordbikehire.ie say on their FB page that you can pay for the shuttle bus only if you have your own bike (Others might too, but that one popped up on my timeline last week). Probably best to give them a ring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Amf2017

That's great. Thanks noby. I'll give them a call.
    noby wrote: »
    Greenwaywaterfordbikehire.ie say on their FB page that you can pay for the shuttle bus only if you have your own bike (Others might too, but that one popped up on my timeline last week). Probably best to give them a ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Greenway Waterford Bike Hire advertise a shuttle for the weekends and it does say if you have your own bike to contact them for rates so might be worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭jelutong

I recall seeing a figure of €12 for a shuttle from Carriganore to Dungarvan. Rider and bike. Must be booked online in advance. Think it was on Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭LickiRake

Can anyone tell me if the surface of the road/path is suitable for a road bike past carriganore from the bilberry side? I know the tarmacked section ends around there, and the last thing I want is to be halfway to kilmac, get a puncture and have to walk all the way back. :pac:

Below is the pike in question.

http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bikes/road-bikes/carrera-zelos-mens-road-bike

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

LickiRake wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if the surface of the road/path is suitable for a road bike past carriganore from the bilberry side? I know the tarmacked section ends around there, and the last thing I want is to be halfway to kilmac, get a puncture and have to walk all the way back. :pac:

yes , but probably best to have your tyres inflated over 100 psi -Im not saying you won't get a puncture but you can cycle it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Pick up a couple of tubes and carry them with you. They cost €5 or less. Buy or borrow a small pump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

I cycled full thing and twas grand no puncture. But it's like most minor roads around here can get puncture anywhere really

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

For anyone planning on using the Greenway this Saturday morning 24th June, from Bilberry to Mount Congreve section - the Waterford Viking Marathon is on, and will be using the route (twice, for those running the full marathon). Just a heads-up as it might be a bit of a surprise, if you didn't know it was on, there are 3,000 runners registered to run, between the three distances of 1/4 1/2 and full mara :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Just looking for peoples opinions who have been cycling this on a mountain bike,im not into hybrids or road bikes and people are telling me that mountain bikes will be tougher because of bigger tyres anyone experience this?

Just looking for peoples opinions who have been cycling this on a mountain bike,im not into hybrids or road bikes and people are telling me that mountain bikes will be tougher because of bigger tyres anyone experience this?

a mountain bike will be tougher than a hybrid or road bike but in saying that ive done the kilmac to durrow section a couple of times on a full suspension mountain bike and it was fine. i ll probably try get my hardtail mountain bike up and running to do the whole trail, as i think what ive done so far is as much as id want to do on a full suspension bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭914

Cycled kilmac to dungarvan and back on a mountain bike and it was grand. If you had a hybrid or road bike it would be easier and faster but it's pretty much all tarmac or loose chippings and only has a few small inclines.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CapnHex

What a facility. Did it on Saturday. Had to start in Kilmeadon due to marathon in progress. So went Kilmeadon to Dungarvan, then Dungarvan to Bilberry and back to Kilmeadon. A lovely day for cycling. Obviously there were a lot of cyclists out on the greenway, but it's just a fantastic experience. I'd recommend doing this to any level of cyclist. I hope to get down again later in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

It got a fab review by Pól Ó Conghaile on Newstalk this morning, he said it was magical. He also praised the Viking Triangle, also mentioned King of the Vikings, Waterford Suir Valley Railway, the new airline, he really praised all Waterford has to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭cml387

Also an article in Cara that I saw this evening coming back from holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Excellent, picked up by The National Geographic.
    Ireland: Two wheels in Waterford
    A new greenway stretches from Ireland’s oldest city through rolling countryside to the Copper Coast. It’s a cycling paradise

I’m leaving Ireland’s oldest city with a weight on my shoulders.
    Deadlines, inboxes, to-do lists… You know the story. Within a couple of miles of Waterford, however, the traffic dims to a distant hum. The greenway slips into a groove alongside the River Suir and drifts of buttercups, daisies and foxgloves spring up like lollipop stalls. All I can hear is the wind brushing my ears, the purr of pedals and bleeps of birdsong. Wilderness therapy has begun.

http://www.natgeotraveller.co.uk/destinations/europe/ireland/ireland-two-wheels-waterford/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,466 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Finnbar01 wrote: »

Great article, good to see!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Cycled from Durrow to Scatore and back tonight,
    Two things to say: what happened playground at Durrow station?
    Hopefully Council keep the vegetation on the sides of the track under control, a lot of ragwort in full bloom.

STIG83 wrote: »
    Cycled from Durrow to Scatore and back tonight,
    Two things to say: what happened playground at Durrow station?
    Hopefully Council keep the vegetation on the sides of the track under control, a lot of ragwort in full bloom.

this is baffling us as well, be interested to hear what the story is there

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

STIG83 wrote: »
    I agree a lot of weeds starting to grow along the edges in parts. Anyone know if the Council have anything in place for maintenance along the greenway? I would think that it would be a fulltime job for one or two people to maintain it all year long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Beeker wrote: »
    I agree a lot of weeds starting to grow along the edges in parts. Anyone know if the Council have anything in place for maintenance along the greenway? I would think that it would be a fulltime job for one or two people to maintain it all year long.

On the railway a weed spray train is sent around the county to control vegetation. It can become quite problematic if not controlled. Irish rail have had a major campaign in recent years in cutting back vegetation with heavy machinery as if left unchecked, trees too become problematic.
    Not sure what'll will happen with the greenway though and I wonder will there be a budget for it.

Advertisement