Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deise Greenway. Cycle path. Waterford City to Dungarvan.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I cycled the whole thing a few weeks ago, and these are the issues that come up again and again:

1. It's absolutely great that families walk it but naturally instead of walking single file on the left hand side, they tend to spread out across the whole path, which lets face it, is pretty narrow anyway. This creates a severe difficulty for cyclists, especially when there are children who are liable to dart any where and I've had to brake suddenly at least six times in front of wandering kids.

2. Groups of 5 or 6 cyclists spreading out across the path instead of cycling single file. Selfish and stupid.

3. Insufficient signage detailing the 'rules'. As a result, some pedestrians think it should be like a road and walk facing cyclists when in reality, this just doesn't work due to the narrowness of the track.

4. As others have mentioned, cyclists looking to complete the track in 'x' time. Grow up for gods sake. Simply not safe.

5. Something that's really not necessary is cyclists yelling at pedestrians who aren't quite following the code. I saw one particular 'time triallist' screaming at a couple with a buggy who happened to be a little bit central instead of too the left. The mother was visibly upset after this. That arrogance is the kind of thing that can really ruin someone else's day out. I'm all for education of people who probably don't quite know the rules but there's ways of saying things without being a prize tosser.

Most of these problems can be overcome with sufficient signage, not just at entrances to the greenway but all along the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

looksee wrote: »
    One thing that would help if cycle groups made a point of not being impressed by someone saying 'I did the greenway in x time'. Some signs would be good too.

this sort of crap bugs me. Proper cycle groups should never really be doing a session on the greenway in my opinion, they should be on the road and leave the greenway to young children and families.

I've seen this plenty of times in Cork, fully grown men all kitted out in their Movistar gear only to bomb along on the walking/cycling paths which is really designated for everyone to use, especially children, elderly folk etc.

Get on the road and cycle, like proper cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭blue note

I did the kilmac to dungarvan section at the weekend and can see where people are coming from. It would be very frustrating to want to cycle this fast, it's really not suitable.

Unfortunately, it's not made clear in the marketing that it's not for more swrious cyclists. I thought it would be great for people into going for 100k cycles - not having to deal with traffic and all that. But it's not really.

blue note wrote: »
    I did the kilmac to dungarvan section at the weekend and can see where people are coming from. It would be very frustrating to want to cycle this fast, it's really not suitable.

Unfortunately, it's not made clear in the marketing that it's not for more swrious cyclists. I thought it would be great for people into going for 100k cycles - not having to deal with traffic and all that. But it's not really.

exactly, but I thought it's quite easy to understand, surely any cyclist with an ounce of consideration for others would be able to realise it's not necessarily ideally suited for a serious cyclist.

Also if preparing for a 100km cycle for example then I think they are only fooling themselves by cycling along lovely smooth tarmac surface that these greenways are typically made of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

There are plenty of signs up details what side to walk on, etc.

I went out last Thurs morning and encountered a jogger on the way back.
    I was keeping left, not going fast (heading in to strong wind homeward bound).
    She was directly in my path coming against me, I said in a friendly enough voice, you're on the wrong side. Red rag to a bull, she sped up, I wasn't bothered just moved out of the way but I said "Keep Left" as I passed, she screamed back "keep right". No point in arguing with that.
    The thing is I encountered loads of people walking against me which she would have overtaken, did she not notice they were all walking in the left?:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Roanmore wrote: »

She was directly in my path coming against me, I said in a friendly enough voice, you're on the wrong side. Red rag to a bull, she sped up, I wasn't bothered just moved out of the way but I said "Keep Left" as I passed, she screamed back "keep right". No point in arguing with that.
    The thing is I encountered loads of people walking against me which she would have overtaken, did she not notice they were all walking in the left?:o

Sounds like 'road markings' are needed ........ a line down the centre and arrows on each side pointing direction .... for those that cannot or do not care to read the written signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fargojones123

Sounds like 'road markings' are needed ........ a line down the centre and arrows on each side pointing direction .... for those that cannot or do not care to read the written signs.

Don't they have something like that on the paths on the Outer Ring Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,466 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I would be a little concerned that a divided path might suggest that, for example, cyclists can expect people to 100% stay on the left so they can 'overtake' as on a road, with no loss of speed.

I think the emphasis needs to be that this is a recreational route for taking it easy and accommodating everyone. Cyclists are enjoying the scenery and the chat rather than getting their heads down for serious cycling.

Edit, I have only just noticed that the title of this thread includes the description 'cycle path' which is a bit misleading. The website specifically describes it as a cycling and walking trail.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I would be a little concerned that a divided path might suggest that, for example, cyclists can expect people to 100% stay on the left so they can 'overtake' as on a road, with no loss of speed.

I think the emphasis needs to be that this is a recreational route for taking it easy and accommodating everyone. Cyclists are enjoying the scenery and the chat rather than getting their heads down for serious cycling.

Equally then a group out for a stroll (not a power walk) could expect to be allowed to spread themselves across in order to converse more easily, thus blocking cyclists coming from behind (accepting they would avoid cyclists coming towards them).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

If we just have some more rules it will add to a nice relaxed experience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Roanmore wrote: »

Where are the signs?,i walk it with my dog six days a week and cycle it about four days from Bilberry to Kilmac and i cant say ive ever seen any signs with what side to walk on,there was a "greenway rules" sign at Bilberry before they built the car park but thats gone now.

I agree with most people here that there is going to be a serious accident someday along the busy sections,some signage and markings will help keep people left but still accidents will happen .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,175 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

The signs I have seen have been at every entrance to the Greenway that I have used. I assume they are at all of them tbh, they are certainly there at Bilberry so you must have missed it somehow? Just as you enter the track its there on your right as you are entering

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Equally then a group out for a stroll (not a power walk) could expect to be allowed to spread themselves across in order to converse more easily, thus blocking cyclists coming from behind (accepting they would avoid cyclists coming towards them).

In that situation the cyclist should use their bell and as long as they aren't trying to beat Marcel Kittel's average sprint time then there should be plenty of time for both the parties to adjust their course and continue on their merry way.

The signs I have seen have been at every entrance to the Greenway that I have used. I assume they are at all of them tbh, they are certainly there at Bilberry so you must have missed it somehow? Just as you enter the track its there on your right as you are entering

Yeah these signs are at every entrance but nothing on them about which side to walk on?

17757314_1781004362217999_1356313544710533617_n.jpg?oh=092f2647094c1db2db338be4b0dac9f6&oe=5A375498

17499262_1929560130606960_3152806530826189000_n.jpg?oh=fbefb53e7300e3071f6d0a3037fd6a18&oe=5A257F23

17457701_1929559937273646_2603198391911155579_n.jpg?oh=b3c78a9a2c1e4b791765a2f8f24ee020&oe=59EFC8DB

• Registered Users Posts: 28,466 ✭✭✭✭looksee

There were signs about which side to walk, I have seen them at the Durrow entrance for one. Not very conspicuous though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

There were signs about which side to walk, I have seen them at the Durrow entrance for one. Not very conspicuous though.

You're 100% correct.
    These signs are present in great number on the OTHER end of the Greenway.

beazee wrote: »
    You're 100% correct.
    These signs are present in great number on the OTHER end of the Greenway.

From Bilberry to Kilmac there is definately no signs telling people what side to walk on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

The main issue for me is people not keeping to the left.

More signs on the Waterford City end is needed.

It is understandable when walking on the right is the rule on roads, so it's ingrained.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

We are visiting Mt Congreve gardens at the weekend. Is it possible to access the Greenway from the gardens ? Would it be far from Mt Congreve to the next stop .. strolling with grandparents. Thanks for any advice

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭somahoney74

We are visiting Mt Congreve gardens at the weekend. Is it possible to access the Greenway from the gardens ? Would it be far from Mt Congreve to the next stop .. strolling with grandparents. Thanks for any advice

Hi there, yes you can access the greenway from the gardens, it's about 1 and a half miles of a walk to the kilmeaden train station, along the river suir. There you could have a cuppa and cake, and either stroll back or get the small train back and ask them to leave you off at mount Congreve on the return from bilberry.
    Hope you have a lovely visit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cornerboy

Yes you caN access greenway from bottom of gardens.....go left and its about 3km, (verify), back to kilmeaden station.

Yeah these signs are at every entrance but nothing on them about which side to walk on?

17457701_1929559937273646_2603198391911155579_n.jpg?oh=b3c78a9a2c1e4b791765a2f8f24ee020&oe=59EFC8DB

I don't want to be a dick but its actually right there in that picture you put up

Says,

This is a shared use Greenway

Keep to your left
    Pass others on the right
    Keep dogs on a short lead

and so on and so on........

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

From Bilberry to Kilmac there is definately no signs telling people what side to walk on

There definitely is, as shown in the picture you put up, and my response to it.

There definitely is, as shown in the picture you put up, and my response to it.

Ah you’re right I never seen that ,but still theres no signs on the actual greenway

Ah you’re right I never seen that ,but still theres no signs on the actual greenway

They are at every entrance though so it is a fair assumption that you should read it before entering particularly on your first visit?

I don't see a need for there to be roadsigns at every 2km or so when they have the information sign at every entrance to the greenway meaning you actually have to pass it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

They are at every entrance though so it is a fair assumption that you should read it before entering particularly on your first visit?

I don't see a need for there to be roadsigns at every 2km or so when they have the information sign at every entrance to the greenway meaning you actually have to pass it.

I feel the need to cycle to Durrow only for the sake of taking the photo of the actual signs posted on every other tree saying:
    1) Keep LEFT,
    2) Don't RUBBISH,
    3) [something else]

And those signs seem to be working there as there's less issue with pedestrians scattered all over the width of the tarmac.

To be honest ive never looked at those maps because simply i know where im going and i just thought they were maps and id suspect many other locals are the same,if you read the last few pages here the number one issuse is people not keeping left so those signs clearly are not working,there is four greenway entrances from Bilberry to Kilmac i think which is roughly 25km?

So whats needed is signs every 1km or even less so people get the message,becuase four signs with small writing along a 25km route isnt doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭DeiseforLiam

There's another car park much closer to the gardens than Kilmeaden. It's at the end of the road down to the Mount Congreve nurseries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

Just reporting in from our visit on Saturday , thank you for all the helpful replies. Firstly we had a great morning ! We arrived at Mt Congreve .. a gem which looks to be under utilised as the immaculate gardens were almost empty. The cafe was lovely and very reasonably priced we thought . Our walk took us as far as Kilmedan station and back to Mt Congreve. I thought that stretch was really lovely . Busy ! Almost everyone greeted us with good morning or "well " ( I'd forgotten that Waterford greeting !! ) I have to say with my mid 70 year old parents I was a bit nervous of all the cyclists and kept glancing behind to check if there were bikes on the way. Maybe cyclists on one side, walkers on the other policy ? It did make me a bit jumpy. The Kilmedan station was busy with families and bikes . Such a wonderful amenity to have in your area . Congratulations to all who brought it to fruition . We will return ! .... rushing off to grab my red jersey , Corcaigh Abu 😀😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

.... rushing off to grab my red jersey , Corcaigh Abu ����

You can put it away for another year...... up the Deise....:P

Advertisement