Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deise Greenway. Cycle path. Waterford City to Dungarvan.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

my3cents wrote: »
    Why use the car parks? Just park on the narrow roads. I don't see the council paying for miles of double yellow lines in rural areas.

Presumably you are joking, not clear, inappropriate though because there are idiots who think that is acceptable/safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Max Powers wrote: »
    Presumably you are joking, not clear, inappropriate though because there are idiots who think that is acceptable/safe.

I live near near access to the greenway where there is no carpark, if there is charging I'm quite sure that the numbers that park on the side of the road will increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭jelutong

Most users wouldn't have a problem in making a contribution to the maintenance and improvement of the Greenway in my opinion.
    I don't think a car park charge is the way to go though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

A charge for car parking along the greenway is, imo, a dumb, short-sighted suggestion.
    Having people being active, and the boost from tourism should be enough.

And, yes it would end up with people parking on the road-side instead. While inappropriate and dangerous that is what would happen.

I live near near access to the greenway where there is no carpark, if there is charging I'm quite sure that the numbers that park on the side of the road will increase.

Your probably right, its still stupid, lazy, ignorant, dangerous and inconsiderate to park on such narrow/unsuitable roads though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭spookwoman

noby wrote: »
    A charge for car parking along the greenway is, imo, a dumb, short-sighted suggestion.
    Having people being active, and the boost from tourism should be enough.

And, yes it would end up with people parking on the road-side instead. While inappropriate and dangerous that is what would happen.
    how many people use the greenway a few times a week then add €5 a go and you will see people will stop using it if they have to travel will their cars to get there or park on the side of the road.

This sounds like typical Waterford CO CO out to make money or is it to cover the 63 new unused vans sitting in their yard

spookwoman wrote: »
    how many people use the greenway a few times a week then add €5 a go and you will see people will stop using it if they have to travel will their cars to get there or park on the side of the road.

This sounds like typical Waterford CO CO out to make money or is it to cover the 63 new unused vans sitting in their yard

Don't think it was county council (never heard initial comment) but Councillor concerned was on radio this morning backing up as quick as you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Cabaal wrote: »
    Most of the car parks are in rural enough areas, charging for parking will encourage illegal and dangerous parking and because the car parks are in rural enough areas the illegal parking won't be properly policed.

Suggesting charging for parking is simply trying to gouge people for money, we want to encourage people to use the greenway by making it as accessible as we can... Not putting people off by charging people.

What's next, they put up entry gates and charge per entry.? Can also charge for parking to visit the comraghs too sure.

Idiotic idea.
    Can't be asking people to pay for the amenities they use, else they might do illegal things. Makes sense, since the construction and maintenance of carparks are free all over the country.

Can't be asking people to pay for the amenities they use, else they might do illegal things. Makes sense, since the construction and maintenance of carparks are free all over the country.

Most car parks are in areas where its possible to control the parking in the surrounding area like in towns. How you control the parking along the whole length of an area like the greenway is another matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

personally I'd have no problem paying €5 for parking if the car park was monitored (between daylight hours anyway) but we all know this will not be the case and we'll see the usual 'Parking is at the owner's risk' sign so with that in mind this is just a lazy revenue generator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Hopefully it won't turn out like the Mahon falls where you are afraid to leave your car UN-attended, so it would be well worth paying a couple of bob if someone was there to keep an eye on your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭cml387

Took the dogs for a walk from Kilmacthomas westwards yesterday.
    The view of the Comeraghs was breathtaking and there were quite a few people walking or cycling without it being overcrowded, unlike the Dungarvan end.

It needs to be emphasised there's more to the greenway than the tunnel!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

marlin vs wrote: »
    Hopefully it won't turn out like the Mahon falls where you are afraid to leave your car UN-attended, so it would be well worth paying a couple of bob if someone was there to keep an eye on your car.

What's the story here. Regularly leave car in car park near Mahon falls pathway ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭cml387

thomasm wrote: »
    What's the story here. Regularly leave car in car park near Mahon falls pathway ?

There have been break-ins to cars. But if you make sure not to leave anything visible in the car you'll be ok (some people are just careless because they think it's out of town).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

We all pay for the parks etc we use, it's via tax like vat, lpt etc. Plenty of free car parks around the country that we pay for via tax.

Even suggesting charging for parking in rural car parks is just idiotic, through increase in footfall to business in various areas, new businesses and improvement in health and tourism the greenway has gone a long way towards paying for itself in even the short time its open.

Now idiots want to come up with ideas to ruin a good thing.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Even suggesting charging for parking in rural car parks is just idiotic, through increase in footfall to business in various areas, new businesses and improvement in health and tourism the greenway has gone a long way towards paying for itself in even the short time its open.
    How many people have used it?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,417 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

How many people have used it?

think estimates may have been posted previously on this thread

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    think estimates may have been posted previously on this thread
    Found the information I was looking for. I've no further questions on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Great news for the greenway

A report has shown that 94% of visitors to the Waterford Greenway have rated it as either excellent or good.

The study, which was commissioned by Waterford City and County Council, also shows that 80% of people visiting from outside Waterford paid for accommodation while in the county and almost one-in-five visitors stayed four nights or more.

The Waterford Greenway is Ireland's longest greenway and the 46km off-road cycling and walking trail stretches from Waterford city to Dungarvan.

Since it opened in March of this year, 247,545 people have used it - 105,639 on foot and 141,906 on bikes.

All survey respondents were asked about their spending habits while on the Greenway and of those who did spend, most were spending an average of €28.50.

Waterford City and County Council Chief Executive Michael Walsh said the survey results were very encouraging.

"Developing the Greenway was a significant but a very worthwhile investment that is having a major economic and social impact across our County, not just during the peak tourist months but right throughout the year," he said.

The report features responses from 1,177 Greenway users at four specific points along the off-road trail in August and October of this year, some on weekdays, others at weekends.

https://www.rte.ie/news/munster/2017/1215/927601-waterford-greenway/

I heard the Tunnel (Dungarvan end of the Greenway) is closed due to falling masonry? Anyone know if this is true?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I heard the Tunnel (Dungarvan end) is closed due to falling masonry? Anyone know if this is true?

Opened again Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭jimbo1979

http://irishcycle.com/2018/01/29/greenway-to-link-waterford-city-to-rosslare/ looks like this project could be getting the go ahead.would be a huge tourist boost to the towns and cities along the way,however would it be better served by reopening the tracks for freight with rosslare port

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

jimbo1979 wrote: »
    http://irishcycle.com/2018/01/29/greenway-to-link-waterford-city-to-rosslare/ looks like this project could be getting the go ahead.would be a huge tourist boost to the towns and cities along the way,however would it be better served by reopening the tracks for freight with rosslare port

What freight? The massive producers of freight in Wellingtonbridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭jimbo1979

Jeez boy who pissed on your back this morning.im only looking for peoples suggestions on this new proposal.did you even click on the link that I posted or are you just going for an immediate attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

It would be a great development for the region.

I doubt there is any interest in re-opening the railway line ....... although if a light passenger rail would fit alongside the walk/cycle facility, I think it would be even better.

Jeez boy who pissed on your back this morning.im only looking for peoples suggestions on this new proposal.did you even click on the link that I posted or are you just going for an immediate attack.

I'd read the post earlier, I didn't make any attacks on you, I asked a question about where the freight to use this line would come from, I wondered had a load of businesses sprung up in Wellingtonbridge while I wasn't looking.

You were the one suggesting it might be better used for freight, why not provide some reasons why, and where this freight might come from?

This sounds like a great idea to me, re-opening a line that never saw any real freight traffic and that was carrying fresh air for a decade or two before it closed just doesn't seem to have any merit at all, but enlighten me as to why it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

The line opens up Rosslare to Belview port -> Waterford -> Limerick The midlands and Mayo. These are large freight customers with Beliview at present with DFDS seaways scheduling 2 trains a week to Mayo from Belview Iirc.

For the region its more important than a greenway and not comparable to the greenway between Waterford and Dungarvan as the track has not been pulled up.

I would be all for some innovative design where a cycle track can go to New Ross on the unused track there but rail connectivity between Waterford and Rosslare should not be axed at any cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

.... sprung up in Wellingtonbridge while I wasn't looking.

You need to look at the bigger picture. As a region rail connectivity for future freight and possible passanger routes from potential commuter towns like campile and wellington bridge need to have infrastructure ready to go, which it is. Its more important infrastrucuraly and for capital for the region than families going out and cycling a path and having a picnic and buying a cup of coffee along the way.

Don't get me wrong I love the greenway and I use it, its a great facility, but that doesn't make it right that there is no rail connectivity between Waterford -
    Cork and West Waterford which was unforgivable by previous governments.

• Advertisement

Potential Commuter town like Campile? That has 448 people according to http://census.cso.ie/sapmap/ seriously?
    I'm not sure if you own land near there but you'll be sorely disappointed in the National Planning Framework, it's not going suggest Campile becomes a new South-East city.
    Look at the population between Waterford and Rosslare and tell me how any rail system is sustainable. Freight can go to either Belview or Rosslare, it won't need to go between either.
    I'm out as this is just going to turn this thread into another trainspotter mess.

Advertisement