Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deise Greenway. Cycle path. Waterford City to Dungarvan.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

inthehat wrote: »
    I'm just following the line of the old railway on Google Earth satellite image, - it's easy to pick out in places and not so easy in others. But you can get a general idea.

OSI.ie maps (GeoHive) and just add the Administrative Areas overlay from the Base Information and Mapping>Planning and Development. The base map shows the old track bed and you can add in whatever detail you like including satellite views.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭jelutong

I'd reckon at least 95% of the route will be in Kilkenny.

my3cents wrote: »
    OSI.ie maps (GeoHive) and just add the Administrative Areas overlay from the Base Information and Mapping>Planning and Development. The base map shows the old track bed and you can add in whatever detail you like including satellite views.

Brilliant thanks.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Given the vast majority by far is in Kilkenny its a pretty accurate name for it to be fair,

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Cabaal wrote: »
    Given the vast majority by far is in Kilkenny its a pretty accurate name for it to be fair,

Agreed. Dunno why people would scoff at that to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

It’s accurate, but if you asked someone - blind - where the Kilkenny Greenway might lead, you’d assume probably Kilkenny city to one of those quaint villages that you associate with Kilkenny, like Bennettsbridge, Thomastown, Inistioge.

What happens when they actually decide to create a Kilkenny-Inistioge greenway? I suppose they could call it the Nore Greenway, but if that comes to pass, it will just lead to ongoing confusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

But not all of it is someone said a few posts back that 95% is in Kilkenny,the Waterford Greenway is 100% in Waterford so its named as it should be,this Greenway runs through 3 counties and it will benefit Waterford and Wexford a lot more than Kilkenny so a more fitting name would be the South East Greenway or something similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Only on the Waterford forum can it happen where something is talked about ie the Waterford to New Ross greenway and up crops a debate about Kilkenny. :D

To be fair it does take in Kilkenny so yes it is accurate to attach Kilkenny to it and yes i also agree it may cause confusion to those from afar but hey either way it will be another great amenity which will help boost visitor numbers to Waterford and especially New Ross.

To be able to travel from New Ross to Dungarvan on a greenway would be amazing. Plenty of nice places to stop off at aswell. Anyone know how far around New Ross it is due to go?

alta stare wrote: »
    Only on the Waterford forum can it happen where something is talked about ie the Waterford to New Ross greenway and up crops a debate about Kilkenny. :D

To be fair it does take in Kilkenny so yes it is accurate to attach Kilkenny to it and yes i also agree it may cause confusion to those from afar but hey either way it will be another great amenity which will help boost visitor numbers to Waterford and especially New Ross.

To be able to travel from New Ross to Dungarvan on a greenway would be amazing. Plenty of nice places to stop off at aswell. Anyone know how far around New Ross it is due to go?

Have you looked at it on the map? It goes to Rosbercon which when I lived in New Ross was another country :D Its administratively part of Wexford but its the wrong side of the river.

The nearest point the actual line went to New Ross town was as I said the other side of the river about 200m from the road bridge. After that it goes up the KK side of the river to the bridge

before it goes through the Mount Elliot tunnel.

ME-Featured.jpg

It seems the plan is to include both bridge and tunnel https://www.independent.ie/regionals/newrossstandard/news/waterford-to-mount-elliott-greenway-to-cost-over-13m-37590869.html

See also http://www.worldabandoned.com/mount-elliot which has the video and pic above.

• Advertisement

Have you looked at it on the map? It goes to Rosbercon which when I lived in New Ross was another country :D Its administratively part of Wexford but its the wrong side of the river.

The nearest point the actual line went to New Ross town was as I said the other side of the river about 200m from the road bridge. After that it goes up the KK side of the river to the bridge

before it goes through the Mount Elliot tunnel.

ME-Featured.jpg

It seems the plan is to include both bridge and tunnel https://www.independent.ie/regionals/newrossstandard/news/waterford-to-mount-elliott-greenway-to-cost-over-13m-37590869.html

See also http://www.worldabandoned.com/mount-elliot which has the video and pic above.

I had heard of the bridge and tunnel alright just didnt know where they are. Does a line go to Rosslare at all? Have no clue of old railways at all so curious as to what other greenways might pop up down this way. Im guessing there is a line to Rosslare given its status as a major port.

Edit; yeah just had a look and it answered my questions. An exciting project to be fair.

I had heard of the bridge and tunnel alright just didnt know where they are. Does a line go to Rosslare at all? Have no clue of old railways at all so curious as to what other greenways might pop up down this way. Im guessing there is a line to Rosslare given its status as a major port.

Edit; yeah just had a look and it answered my questions. An exciting project to be fair.

Try this I've never tied to save a OSI.ie GeoHive map before.

http://bit.ly/2XuerSP

Should show the old tack bed from Waterford to Rosslare Harbour.

Edit> Pleased to see that works and it links you so you can still "play" with the map. Check out the pull down menus on the left and change the maps you are looking at. Data Catalogue> Base Information and Mapping then tick the ones you want and change the opacity of each one to get the best effect. If bits of the track are missing (north of Mount Elliot) try one of the older maps as an overlay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

jelutong wrote: »
    There are no villages along the route. It should benefit Ferrybank though. The Rhu Glenn should do well out of it also. I'd be very surprised if it was up and running next Summer. 2022 is more realistic.

Ferrybank, so it will go through one Kilkenny village then?

Grabs helmet and runs for cover :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

They should call it the Barony of Ida Greenway.

Try this I've never tied to save a OSI.ie GeoHive map before.

http://bit.ly/2XuerSP

Should show the old tack bed from Waterford to Rosslare Harbour.

Edit> Pleased to see that works and it links you so you can still "play" with the map. Check out the pull down menus on the left and change the maps you are looking at. Data Catalogue> Base Information and Mapping then tick the ones you want and change the opacity of each one to get the best effect. If bits of the track are missing (north of Mount Elliot) try one of the older maps as an overlay.

Brilliant thanks.

Ferrybank, so it will go through one Kilkenny village then?

Grabs helmet and runs for cover :cool:

:D:D

And just when the world thought WW3 was coming via America and Iran...you have to make it worse but saying the above. Shots fired. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Isnt it common for Ferrybank to be considered Kilkenny?

Anyone I know from Ferrybank considers themselves from KK anyway. I never heard of a sensitive debate otherwise!

Anyone I know from Ferrybank considers themselves from KK anyway. I never heard of a sensitive debate otherwise!

No definitely not. Anyone i know from there and i know loads consider it Waterford. Disputed territory. :D

I like these GeoHive maps :)

So here http://bit.ly/2Xz2SJU you can see the administrative boundary showing what bit is in Waterford.

No definitely not. Anyone i know from there and i know loads consider it Waterford. Disputed territory. :D

Oh right. I didn't know that. I would even consider that area as KK myself because its technically over the bridge. As I said, im only going on the people I know who say they are from KK if they live in Ferrybank. I don't want to start a war, because lets face it, that would be a very sad war. Children all over the world are dying in warzones...whether Ferrybank is KK or Waterford is not worth arguing over! :D

• Advertisement

Oh right. I didn't know that. I would even consider that area as KK myself because its technically over the bridge. As I said, im only going on the people I know who say they are from KK if they live in Ferrybank. I don't want to start a war, because lets face it, that would be a very sad war. Children all over the world are dying in warzones...whether Ferrybank is KK or Waterford is not worth arguing over! :D

Facts. :D

This is one debate i wont even entertain :D

Facts. :D

This is one debate i wont even entertain :D

Really? You seem like someone who loves a good argument!

Really? You seem like someone who loves a good argument!

I do but this one has been done to death so i wouldnt bother. I know where the boundary is, I know people including my kids who live in Ferrybank and consider it Waterford so yeah its a debate which isnt really worth it. Some of it is Waterford some of it is Kilkenny but the both of them is Ireland so isnt that what matters. We are all the same regardless of an ancient boundary drawn by our invaders. :D

With that said we need to re examine our ancient boundary with South Kilkenny. Our City also needs to expand that side of the river so lets go conquer those lands. Iv started already...i live in South Kilkenny...a sleeper cell of sorts :D

I do but this one has been done to death so i wouldnt bother. I know where the boundary is, I know people including my kids who live in Ferrybank and consider it Waterford so yeah its a debate which isnt really worth it. Some of it is Waterford some of it is Kilkenny but the both of them is Ireland so isnt that what matters. We are all the same regardless of an ancient boundary drawn by our invaders. :D

With that said we need to re examine our ancient boundary with South Kilkenny. Our City also needs to expand that side of the river so lets go conquer those lands. Iv started already...i live in South Kilkenny...a sleeper cell of sorts :D

Not related but you said you have kids who live in Ferrybank. I pictured you as about 30-35 yrs old!

Not related but you said you have kids who live in Ferrybank. I pictured you as about 30-35 yrs old!

How dare you im forever 21. :D ..... You are close enough.

Anyway this is the greenway thread lets not derail it about a gentlemans age or Ferrybank and its location......or what percentage of the new greenway is in Kilkenny. Lets just be glad it is happening. It is great for the region and will benefit Waterford and New Ross.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Agreed,
    Its just silly.

The name is accurate based on the land the greenway is on, but it seems people still have an issue with it even though they all agree Waterford will benefit from it and so will New Ross and Kilkenny.

So if Waterford will still benefit from it why such bother over the name other then perhaps dislike of Kilkenny? For those that cycle you'll be well aware that Kilkenny has the old N9 road down to Waterford which is a pleasure to cycle as its dead traffic wise most of the way. This links Kilkenny to the new greenway for people touring Ireland on bikes.

Bottom line is this new greenway benefits the south east as a whole and thats all people should actually care about. :D

Personally I can't wait to be able to run from New Ross to Dungarvan on the two green ways.

Agreed,
    Its just silly.

The name is accurate based on the land the greenway is on, but it seems people still have an issue with it even though they all agree Waterford will benefit from it and so will New Ross and Kilkenny.

So if Waterford will still benefit from it why such bother over the name other then perhaps dislike of Kilkenny? For those that cycle you'll be well aware that Kilkenny has the old N9 road down to Waterford which is a pleasure to cycle as its dead traffic wise most of the way. This links Kilkenny to the new greenway for people touring Ireland on bikes.

Bottom line is this new greenway benefits the south east as a whole and thats all people should actually care about. :D

Personally I can't wait to be able to run from New Ross to Dungarvan on the two green ways.

The glaringly obvious reason the name isn't that good is that people who don't know the area - tourists - will go to Kilkenny City thinking thats were the new bit of the greenway is located. Waterford greenway go to Waterford. Kilkenny greenway DO NOT go to Kilkenny.

I don't think Kilkenny greenway is incorrect I just think its the wrong name. Something like South Kilkenny greenway would be more sensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Wonder is there any plans to link up Waterford and Kilkenny greenways with the Tipperary Blueway which runs from Carrick on Suir to Cahir?

You’d nearly be able to cycle the entire South East at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭jelutong

The Suir and Barrow Greenway?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Has a name been officially chosen for it yet even?

Advertisement