Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deise Greenway. Cycle path. Waterford City to Dungarvan.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Ah! Tar & Chip ........ that makes a huge difference, and should provide a somewhat reasonable, though not ideal, surface for wheeled vehicles.

If done well it could suffice until funds are available for a full tarmac finish.

That's why I said let's hold judgement till it's finished and see what it's like then. I made it quite clear that I'm well aware the section I was on this morning is no where near complete but also pointed out that to the best of my knowledge it will not be 100% Tarmac.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Aquos76 wrote: »
    That's why I said let's hold judgement till it's finished and see what it's like then. I made it quite clear that I'm well aware the section I was on this morning is no where near complete but also pointed out that to the best of my knowledge it will not be 100% Tarmac.

Fair play, you seem to know bit about it,where would be good spot to do a few miles on it? Maybe somewhere to park and then stroll and see some nice countryside.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,712 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Max Powers wrote: »
    Fair play, you seem to know bit about it,where would be good spot to do a few miles on it? Maybe somewhere to park and then stroll and see some nice countryside.?

ive walked the whole thing. views are fantastic along the whole trail. you can park at the entrance of mount congreve nurseries(below) and stroll around the area from there.

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Mount+Congreve+Nurseries/@52.2410673,-7.2141368,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x4842db405e495613:0xdf6bac35b56685b4?hl=en

you can also park near whelans bridge further out the track from mount congreve nurseries, gain access to the trail from there(not official access point, bit of a scramble!), or of course you could park at suir valley to gain access from there. i ll have to look at pictures and maps for access points further out the trail. it got a bit rough after suir valley, but that could be all different now as i walked it last year.

you could always start from bilberry and stroll out to suir valley if you wanted to get a few miles in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

So drove the Coast road from Dungarvan today and pulled in at Mahoneys Pub at Durrow to see the car park, will be handy.
    Where is Durrow station from there? Is it towards Dungarvan or back towards Kilmac.
    I never have known where it is.
    I know where the tunnel is though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I walked from Bilberry to Mount Congrave today just about 11km there and back,i thought it was all tarmac when i went on the weekend but the tarmac ends near the Waterford exit roundabout,its still a very nice walk with lovely scenery and i didnt see any dog ****e or rubbish,did see 2 big rats run across it to get into the river though :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Hey, I didn't suggest a 10kmph limit, that's all Silverado.

I would imagine it'd cater to everyone on a bike, from commuter to touring to general leisure and lycra. Greenway/gravel biking is becoming more and more popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SBPhoto

Silverado wrote: »
    I get the impression that the Greenway will be used for both cycling and walking. I have to say that having experienced this along European long distance walking routes that I don't like it.

Only last month a bicycle collided with my wife in Spain on a coastal walking route. Fortunately she wasn't seriously injured but I have never liked the multi use concept on the Continent.

The Germans may have it right when they divide the route left and right for cycling and walking. There aren't many easy answers but I am never comfortable when I see a mountain bike hurtling towards me at speed on a narrow path, I don't like the concept of traffic on a walking route.

Wouldn't be a problem if the walkers kept to their right and cyclists to the left as the signs show, as a person who both walks and cycles on it, its narrow enough thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

OldBean wrote: »
    Hey, I didn't suggest a 10kmph limit, that's all Silverado.

I would imagine it'd cater to everyone on a bike, from commuter to touring to general leisure and lycra. Greenway/gravel biking is becoming more and more popular.

Jogging speed?

What are they going to do? Speed camera vans?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Gardner

nice walkway, cant wait to get the tail wind behind me on the bike and hit 40kph! keep left ye ****ers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

SBPhoto wrote: »
    Wouldn't be a problem if the walkers kept to their right and cyclists to the left as the signs show
    Gardner wrote: »
    cant wait to get the tail wind behind me on the bike and hit 40kph! keep left ye ****ers!

It'd help if people knew which side to be on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Gardner

JohnC. wrote: »
    It'd help if people knew which side to be on.

Just like driving and been a communist always stick to the left :D

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cornerboy

have walked and biked the section from Clonea to Durrow. Beautiful views especially in the Ballyvoile area. Some of the surface is tarmac which is great. The remainder is tar and chip which obviously is not as good as the tarmac but was acceptable on a road bike.
    The ballyvoile viaduct is open and provides good views......the Durrow viaduct looks even more spectacular and should be open soon.
    The tunnel after the Ballyvoile viaduct is a weird sensation.......418 yards long and dead straight, you can see the light at the far end but precious little else, bring a strong light. Great work so far.

STIG83 wrote: »
    So drove the Coast road from Dungarvan today and pulled in at Mahoneys Pub at Durrow to see the car park, will be handy.
    Where is Durrow station from there? Is it towards Dungarvan or back towards Kilmac.

Get on the track where it intersects the road and Durrow station is a couple of hundred yards back towards Dungarvan........The tunnell is a half mile to a mile further towards Dungarvan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

STIG83 wrote: »

Towards Kilmac, about 400m.

Was at the talk last night in the Ramada. Fair play to the council. Impressive work.

Towards Kilmac, about 400m.

If you get on at Mahony's its back towards Kilmac......if you get on at the intersection with the road it's back towards Dungarvan. New carpark being built near the intersection.

cornerboy wrote: »
    If you get on at Mahony's its back towards Kilmac......if you get on at the intersection with the road it's back towards Dungarvan. New carpark being built near the intersection.

Isn't there a car park being constructed at Mahony's, or are there 2 car parks being built? Or do I have it wrong? apologies if so....

Isn't there a car park being constructed at Mahony's, or are there 2 car parks being built? Or do I have it wrong? apologies if so....

Dont know if there is anything going on at the pub....dont think so. There is a car park being laid out about 400 / 500 yds up the side road near where the greenway crosses that side road and just beyond the afore mentioned Durrow station. This will be the access point in that area.
    Have heard from a reliable source that a second car park will be built at the Clonea roundabout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Dont know if there is anything going on at the pub....dont think so. There is a car park being laid out about 400 / 500 yds up the side road near where the greenway crosses that side road and just beyond the afore mentioned Durrow station. This will be the access point in that area.
    Have heard from a reliable source that a second car park will be built at the Clonea roundabout.

Its already there.

Since there is only approx 500m between the pub and the junction you are referring to, I would say the car park is in fact at Mahony's. It's what I've been told anyway. I'll be out that way next week, I'll check.

• Advertisement

Since there is only approx 500m between the pub and the junction you are referring to, I would say the car park is in fact at Mahony's. It's what I've been told anyway. I'll be out that way next week, I'll check.

Toms car park (Mahonys) is just at the back of the pub and shop, nothing changed there as far as I know.

Last time I past there was a new car park being carved out on the other side of the road.

my3cents wrote: »
    Its already there.

Yes there is one there.......plan is to build another one, according to my source.

Yes there is one there.......plan is to build another one, according to my source.

It would certainly be a good location and the car park that is there really isn't that big and has been filling up recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Walked it today from Bilberry to the Dan Donovan tunnel. Very impressive, and a fantastic view of the TF Meagher Bridge at one point - the elevation and angle makes for a really lovely view. I'd love to walk it in from Mt Congreve some day - does anyone know where out there you could access the route?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

fricatus wrote: »
    I'd love to walk it in from Mt Congreve some day - does anyone know where out there you could access the route?

Take the side road towards Mt Congreve Nurseries, past that might be quite bumpy but you'll get there.

Official access in the area is to be through Carriganore campus and flyover over N25 bypass. But there's still work involved in getting the flyover passable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭BBM77

Baby4 wrote: »

It is not paved all the way to Mount Congreve yet. It is only paved to a bit after Carriganore. Also, there are bridges that are not completed yet so you have to walk over the railway bridge. After the paved section it is not really suitable for buggies yet.

I walked up to Mount Congreve last weekend myself, I think it took an hour to hour and half, wasn’t really timing myself. Wasn’t pushing a buggy either!

As far as use for parking goes that one is finished. Even has a nice ramp directly up to the railway track must stop calling it that, the greenway.

I guess before long the carpark will have the usual features to prevent caravans using it added, if they don't get there first.

keep an eye on the forecast, very changeable over the next few days

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I walked Bilberry to Mount Congreve on Sunday and according to my phone it was 8 miles there and back and took me just over 2 and a half hours,the tarmac section is fine for a buggy but after that its really not suitable its still a long enough walk on the tarmac maybe about 4 miles there and back.

I dont know if this is true or not but i heard from someone working on the greenway that the reason it wont be all tarmac is to keep travellers off it supposedly its a problem already with them sulky racing on sections of it.

Advertisement