Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deise Greenway. Cycle path. Waterford City to Dungarvan.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,253 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I dont know if this is true or not but i heard from someone working on the greenway that the reason it wont be all tarmac is to keep travellers off it supposedly its a problem already with them sulky racing on sections of it.

cost according to the greenway engineer but who knows! i think theyre planning on putting in fences etc to prevent misuse of the trail before completion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

cornerboy wrote: »
    Yes there is one there.......plan is to build another one, according to my source.

2 car parks there now, just finishing off second one, tarmac laid and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    cost according to the greenway engineer but who knows! i think theyre planning on putting in fences etc to prevent misuse of the trail before completion.

Hopefully we don't get idiots ruining what will be a great asset.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭deisegreenway

The whole 48km will be either pure tarmac or tar&chip. Tar&chip is used on Irish roads so it will still be of a standard envied by the rest of the country. The reason for the lower spec is nothing to do with travellers, the council's budget has taken a battering appeasing farmers with ridiculous fences and cattle underpasses.

When the greenway is finished, sulkies will not be able to access it as there'll be staggered barriers (designed to look like railway crossing barriers) at every crossing that only bikes can pass through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

alta stare wrote: »
    Hopefully we don't get idiots ruining what will be a great asset.

Oh there will be idiots alright, you can count on that. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

When the greenway is finished, sulkies will not be able to access it as there'll be staggered barriers (designed to look like railway crossing barriers) at every crossing that only bikes can pass through.

I'm presuming that motorised chairs will be able to access easily?

BBM77 wrote: »
    Oh there will be idiots alright, you can count on that. :(

And lots of dog sh!t

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

The whole 48km will be either pure tarmac or tar&chip. Tar&chip is used on Irish roads so it will still be of a standard envied by the rest of the country. The reason for the lower spec is nothing to do with travellers, the council's budget has taken a battering appeasing farmers with ridiculous fences and cattle underpasses.

I wondered about the underpasses.
    What alternative was proposed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I wondered about the underpasses.
    What alternative was proposed?

The only other alternative was telling the farmers to %^&%& off.

Any access across the lines would only cause problems.

my3cents wrote: »
    The only other alternative was telling the farmers to %^&%& off.

Any access across the lines would only cause problems.

That was hardly a reasonable alternative!
    I doubt very much if it was a proposed alternative.

• Advertisement

alta stare wrote:
    And lots of dog sh!t

This was discussed at the public meeting. Dogs are banned on the mayo greenway. Bins will be installed on the Waterford one.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cornerboy

This was discussed at the public meeting. Dogs are banned on the mayo greenway. Bins will be installed on the Waterford one.

Banning the poor aul mutts is a bit cruel.......Bins are great but some of them are a bit high off the ground for my fellow.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Banning seems harsh but to be honest I can understand it if owners are simply not cleaning up after themselves. Also dogs being loose or dogs on long leads create a safety issue when it comes to cyclists.

There does appear to be a fair bit of dog **** on the tarmac section nearest to Waterford

think the council said, they ll have people monitoring the dog s*it situation when it officially opens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'll apply for that job :)

I'll apply for that job :)

Harry Blart, Greenway Cop....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

think the council said, they ll have people monitoring the dog s*it situation when it officially opens.

Hopefully, went with kids on bikes from the Waterford side a few weeks ago and the first 200 yards was destroyed with dog sh1te. Like everyone just took the dogs down to have a crap before they started walking. One of kids got it on wheel which ended up in the boot on carpet and another got it on his shoe and put on the back seat of car.

The owners caught not cleaning it up should be made eat it... Rant over

thomasm wrote: »
    Hopefully, went with kids on bikes from the Waterford side a few weeks ago and the first 200 yards was destroyed with dog sh1te. Like everyone just took the dogs down to have a crap before they started walking. One of kids got it on wheel which ended up in the boot on carpet and another got it on his shoe and put on the back seat of car.

well this is a load of err emm 'crap'! i think they said at the meeting that they ll have maintenance crews monitoring it. i hope so or dogs will be banned from it if not and rightfully so. id like this facility to be available to all but if owners are gonna take responsability....

thomasm wrote: »

It is a disgrace people won't clean it up afterwards or at least bring the dogs into the ditch to do it. I guess some people are ignorant and inconsiderate. I know it would cost alot but cctv down there could possibly be part of a solution to that issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

I was down there two weeks ago and there wasn't dog **** anywhere. There was signs of some homeless people living there under a concrete kinda bridge into famers field. Not far beyond that house that's just off the path

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Anyone give me an idea where the long tunnels are along the way in relation to Waterford city? Just want to bring my young lads out for a look, the tunnels look great in some of the pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cornerboy

Boooourns wrote: »
    Anyone give me an idea where the long tunnels are along the way in relation to Waterford city? Just want to bring my young lads out for a look, the tunnels look great in some of the pictures.

The tunnell which is in place is at the city end of the straight before Leamybrien. The second one will be on the Dungarvan side of the Long Hall bar........this is in the early stages of installation, not sure if they have dug up the road yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

First time visit at weekend...absolutely amazing...I would warn people, it is not fully finished and there are significant drops on approaches to bridges I noticed, presume they will fence when ready but just be mindful if kids on bikes etc.also when I was there some dope came along on a motorised scooter, it will only work if respected by all. I.e. no motors, horses, speeding etc on route.

Boooourns wrote: »

The old railway tunnel is between Durrow and Ballyvoyle, the car park at Mahony's Durrow is a good place to park the tunnel is only 400m or so on the dungarvan side of this park, the tunnel itself is about 300m long and approximately 300m beyoud this is the viaduct over the little Dalligan River. This bridge is now topped in lattice steel work, after the old stone one was blown up in 1923.

Max Powers wrote: »
    First time visit at weekend...absolutely amazing...I would warn people, it is not fully finished and there are significant drops on approaches to bridges I noticed, presume they will fence when ready but just be mindful if kids on bikes etc.also when I was there some dope came along on a motorised scooter, it will only work if respected by all. I.e. no motors, horses, speeding etc on route.

Fencing is ongoing but not to the same standard as a lot of the free fencing the farmers got. The Ballyvoile Hill section back towards Dungarvan (it was pictured earlier in the thread - great views of the bay) which would be a bit nasty if you rode off it on a bike had the fencing contractors working on it yesterday.

The old railway tunnel is between Durrow and Ballyvoyle, the car park at Mahony's Durrow is a good place to park the tunnel is only 400m or so on the dungarvan side of this park, the tunnel itself is about 300m long and approximately 300m beyoud this is the viaduct over the little Dalligan River. This bridge is now topped in lattice steel work, after the old stone one was blown up in 1923.

Strange one this, the viaduct was actually blown up in August 1922 which left the bridge damaged but repairable and it was destroyed by running an empty train down it in January 1923. Some info here and pictures at waterfordmuseum.ie here. If you check the dates on the photos of Ballyvoile Viaduct you can work the timeline out and see the sequence before, bombed, train crashed, rebuilding and after.

Note the three arched bridge also sometimes called Ballyvoile viaduct which was also blown up is the road bridge (still is).

So you would exclude people who require such transport from access?

OK everyone, no powered wheelchairs or scooters so all you elderly, infirm and PWDs forget about using this amenity!

Yeah, right!

OK everyone, no powered wheelchairs or scooters so all you elderly, infirm and PWDs forget about using this amenity!

Yeah, right!

good point alright. i wonder how theyre gonna provide access for these folks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Yeah, right!
    Get down off your easily offended high horse, re read post and Don't be silly John boy.just to clarify a scooter with a motor attached is not a device a disabled person uses, it is not a wheelchair.

• Advertisement

Get down off your easily offended high horse, re read post and Don't be silly John boy.just to clarify a scooter with a motor attached is not a device a disabled person uses, it is not a wheelchair.

You should be aware that PWDs and others use scooters with electric motors ..... but apparently you are not.
    Max Powers wrote:
    when I was there some dope came along on a motorised scooter, it will only work if respected by all. I.e. no motors, horses, speeding etc on route.
    Your 'no motors' would exclude those I mentioned.

..... and no I have no horse so am not bothered about your exclusion of horses at all ;)

Advertisement