Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Far Cry 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

You should play fc 3 if you get the chance fantastic game.

I was going to an even though I had PS Plus at the time I forgot to download Far Cry 3 for free. It's been very cheap in sales since but Far Cry 4 is here so I want that to be my first. If I really like it I will get FC3 and probably Blood Dragon at some point.

Review Embargo lifts today which is 3 days before the release (in the US at least) so that hopefully is a sign the game is good and working. So expect all the big name sites giving us their thoughts later today.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    I was going to an even though I had PS Plus at the time I forgot to download Far Cry 3 for free. It's been very cheap in sales since but Far Cry 4 is here so I want that to be my first. If I really like it I will get FC3 and probably Blood Dragon at some point.

Review Embargo lifts today which is 3 days before the release (in the US at least) so that hopefully is a sign the game is good and working. So expect all the big name sites giving us their thoughts later today.

Very cheap indeed,I got for 20 in gamestop , damn wish I had plus when it was free :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭_Puma_

You should play fc 3 if you get the chance fantastic game.

Picked up the Far cry bundle on steam last night for a tenner. It's on a 75% weekend discount. Includes the 3 games with dlc and blood dragon. I've a lot of gaming to look forward to! 3 on its own is about a fiver.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Now that's a bargain!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Never played one or two. Loved three.

Might pick them up :)

• Advertisement

Got FC3 on the PS3 with Ps+ but have never played it and have since given the PS3 to my brother. I mainly game on the PC and Vita now.

Played a bit of 2 before, think I got it bundled with a gfx card or something. While I did enjoy it for a bit I never really "got it". I kinda realises now that it is basically Skyrim with guns. Looking forward to giving 3 a whirl as from what I read FC2 was rated the worst of the 3. Who knows by the time next summer comes around I might be ready to pick up FC4 in the Steam Summer sale :)

2 gets a lot stick, personally I loved it, it was a beautiful world graphically.

2 gets a lot stick, personally I loved it, it was a beautiful world graphically.

Trying to remember back, it was brilliant looking, especially with the lighting model for the wildfires. There was something that kind of made me give up on it, think it was the outposts respawning or some gameplay feature like that that just made it a bit of a hastle. Definitely didn't give it a fair crack of the whip so looking forward to getting through it again in my backlog.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Never played 2 but wasn't there an issue about failing a mission and then having to drive for 20 minutes to restart it? That and something to do with malaria.
    Loved 1 but it must be very dated at this stage.
    FC3 absolutely loved - first game I platinumed.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Never played 2 but wasn't there an issue about failing a mission and then having to drive for 20 minutes to restart it? That and something to do with malaria.
    Loved 1 but it must be very dated at this stage.
    FC3 absolutely loved - first game I platinumed.

I was close to a plat in fc 3 but I couldn't get the death from above trophy with the zip line and the co op mission trophies I kept disconnecting :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 359 ✭✭Kharrell

Boogie and AngryJoe have been very positive about the game after they got a hands on play through a couple of weeks ago.

IV aside, the Assassin's Creed series has been on a slippery slope since Revelations.
    Far Cry however has been on the rise, and by all accounts, they've taken what made Far Cry 3 great and touched up on it. So long as the story doesn't peter out like Far Cry 3, I'll be happy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 359 ✭✭Kharrell

I was close to a plat in fc 3 but I couldn't get the death from above trophy with the zip line and the co op mission trophies I kept disconnecting :mad:

As far as I can recall, that was glitched for quite a few people going by the official forum at the time. I certainly remember having to do it many, many times to get that trophy.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 EdragonXX

Did not like Far Cry 2 and Far Cry 3 at all. But Far Cry 4 as been first 4 hours actually very nice game.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Dayum wrote: »
    The console players haven't got a clue what you're talking about because their entire experience is mediocrity. These are the same consumers that buy COD year after year for 100 quid ffs...

Jesus, is this rubbish still going on? Give it a rest. That sentence is utter b****x

There's plenty of gamers out there that play on consoles that have no interest in games like COD and don't blindly follow the pack and pay €100 for any old crap.

This is coming from someone who has spent the last 2 weeks alternating between PS4, WiiU and PC for different games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

EdragonXX wrote: »
    Did not like Far Cry 2 and Far Cry 3 at all. But Far Cry 4 as been first 4 hours actually very nice game.

Quastion for you but where did you get the game if you have already played 4 hours of it when its not out to Tuesday world wide ?

On less you have a review copy ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I must be in the small minority that liked FC2. Or at least appreciated what it was trying to do. The use of the diamond trade economy, the all too rare African setting, the malaria mechanic, these were all fresh ideas. Which they then buried under needless driving and crap like constantly regerating armed checkpoints.

Spear wrote: »
    I must be in the small minority that liked FC2. Or at least appreciated what it was trying to do. The use of the diamond trade economy, the all too rare African setting, the malaria mechanic, these were all fresh ideas. Which they then buried under needless driving and crap like constantly regerating armed checkpoints.

I loved the game, what I didn't like was the fact that if you sniped an bad guy and were behind cover they'd all know where you were.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭soap1978

any hope of this game be sold early

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

not quite a review, but pretty damn close from ign

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2014/11/14/far-cry-4-review

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

I'd hate to be working in the games industry though, lots of pressure, little job stability with studios being downsized and shut down all over the place and it's always the dev's that a game is full of bugs when it could have been a publisher or project manager putting pressure on them to get the game out the door regardless of quality.
    To each his own - I love my job!

What you said is true - there is lots of pressure at times and job stability isn't the greatest (although I've only been laid off once in 8 years) - but I get to work with some seriously talented people, and I look forward to going into work every day. From what I gather, that's not something many people can say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I definitely enjoyed it but the respawning enemy checkpoints were, imo, one of the worst design decisions in modern games since the god damn planet scanning in ME2. I think what exacerbated the problem was even when you cleared one out, by the time you left the area on foot there was a chance they could respawn and get a few shots into your back before you were safe again. If you were driving away and weren't quick enough, the shots would go into the rear of your vehicle and given their awful reliability, you'd often take enough damage that your vehicle would nearly be rendered useless. :o
    I loved the game, what I didn't like was the fact that if you sniped an bad guy and were behind cover they'd all know where you were.
    That seems to be an issue in their underlying AI system. I had the same problem more recently with Far Cry 3 where I felt they knew a little bit too much about the trajectory and source of the shot that had killed their fellow pirates even when using a silenced weapon.

Reviews are coming in for Far Cry 4 at least. Aoife Wilson at Eurogamer has given it an 8/10 with the general jist being Far Cry 3 but more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

The malaria mechanic, along with the Swiss cheese guns were possibly some of the most I'll judged game design elements I'd seen in a long time....You're in a fire fight and bang you need to hit a button to take a shot. Oh, you didn't feel like trudging half way across the map to pick it up. Well **** you! And while we're at it. That gun you bought half an hour ago has stopped working due to the atmosphere being possibly modelled on Jupiters. Seriously, they were deeply ****ty approaches that just randomly punished the player.

Then you'd the respawning enemies, wonky AI, empty map, weird sound mixing, boring mission design. And to think, I almost avoided 3 because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Eurogamer – 8
    Videogamer – 8
    Joystiq – 4.5/5
    Destructoid – 9
    IGN – review in progress
    Gamespot – review in progress
    CVG – 9

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

FWIW on the Subject of Far Cry 2, my bro got it for me for Christmas 1 year as he was loving it. I got in on PC and I'm not messing, I actually could not jump up onto the train carriage to get a box in like the 2nd mission. I think after like 60 minutes I got up there and turned the game off forever more

Reviews are looking good :D

Eurogamer – 8
    Videogamer – 8
    Joystiq – 4.5/5
    Destructoid – 9
    IGN – review in progress
    Gamespot – review in progress
    CVG – 9

Just beat me too it. Looks like we've a great game on our hands. The fact they let reviewers review early shows they had confidence in their product and once this game avoids the 12 month annual curse the series is in good hands. So hopefully sales are good but not too good so they think they can pull it off every year :P For the gap year DLC expansions like Blood Dragon are more than enough.

Here's some reviews you listed:

Computerandvideogames 9/10
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com/481112/far-cry-4-xbox-ps4-review/

[/URL]EuroGamer 8/10
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-11-14-far-cry-4-review

Cormac... wrote: »
    FWIW on the Subject of Far Cry 2, my bro got it for me for Christmas 1 year as he was loving it. I got in on PC and I'm not messing, I actually could not jump up onto the train carriage to get a box in like the 2nd mission. I think after like 60 minutes I got up there and turned the game off forever more

my dad bought be one of the pc tomb raiders back in the day and the first level was in jungle ruins with ziplines and i couldn't get past that opening area. Never played it again.

MGS2 took me over a month to complete and i played it every single day. Thankfully I've improved a lot since i started playing games online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

satchmo wrote: »
    To each his own - I love my job!

What you said is true - there is lots of pressure at times and job stability isn't the greatest (although I've only been laid off once in 8 years) - but I get to work with some seriously talented people, and I look forward to going into work every day. From what I gather, that's not something many people can say.

Fair play.

I guess when you're an outsider looking in one of your major opinions is defined by the negative articles in the likes of Eurogamer about layoffs and all that. You rarely hear the good stories about the working environment i find.

What's your role if you don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,457 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Far Cry 2 was a brilliantly subversive, experimental and ambitious game. It went against the grain by attempting to make you feel in constant danger. You were not a super person, you were a desperate, sick individual battling against the odds in a very harsh world. When most FPS titles aim to empower the player, Far Cry 2 sought to disempower us which was seriously brave.

Sadly, the ambition was greater than the success in some respects, and the more one played the more it became apparent that the designers couldn't quite build systems to match their lofty goals. Great in short bursts, but some of the design flaws sadly neutered the game's successes.

Still, Far Cry 3 couldn't help but feel a tad regressive in comparison, as much as the narrative tried to comment on the main character's violent psychosis. It was a much more familiar, safe game - it was far more 'enjoyable' to play (albeit full of crappy, repetitive filler), but at the cost of the artistic ambition of its predecessor. I'd love to see the FC2 team get another go because it's one of those games that felt like it needed a 'proper' sequel to expand on its ideas (ala Mirror's Edge). I've been particularly interested to see what Clint Hocking does next, but he has moved from project to project ever since without, I believe, anything coming to fruition.

Advertisement