Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Far Cry 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

What's your role if you don't mind me asking?
    One of the 3D technical leads, so lots of programming and engine system design. I only came on to FC4 for the last 6 months of production though, I was on Watch_Dogs before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

satchmo wrote: »
    One of the 3D technical leads, so lots of programming and engine system design. I only came on to FC4 for the last 6 months of production though, I was on Watch_Dogs before that.

so did you get to play the game much?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Far Cry 2 was a brilliantly subversive, experimental and ambitious game. It went against the grain by attempting to make you feel in constant danger. You were not a super person, you were a desperate, sick individual battling against the odds in a very harsh world. When most FPS titles aim to empower the player, Far Cry 2 sought to disempower us which was seriously brave.

Sadly, the ambition was greater than the success in some respects, and the more one played the more it became apparent that the designers couldn't quite build systems to match their lofty goals. Great in short bursts, but some of the design flaws sadly neutered the game's successes.

Still, Far Cry 3 couldn't help but feel a tad regressive in comparison, as much as the narrative tried to comment on the main character's violent psychosis. It was a much more familiar, safe game - it was far more 'enjoyable' to play (albeit full of crappy, repetitive filler), but at the cost of the artistic ambition of its predecessor. I'd love to see the FC2 team get another go because it's one of those games that felt like it needed a 'proper' sequel to expand on its ideas (ala Mirror's Edge). I've been particularly interested to see what Clint Hocking does next, but he has moved from project to project ever since without, I believe, anything coming to fruition.

FC2 was a shooter that randomly took away the shooting mechanic. Imagine a mario game where every so often mario is waylaid by sciatica. Doubled over in pain, unable to jump until he crawls back to get physio coins at the start of the level. It'd be ridiculous, but that's essentially what FC2 did. It was a decent tech demo for the engine though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

So many questions, so many NDAs :pac:

Cormac... wrote: »
    So many questions, so many NDAs :pac:

i wonder if he signed an NDA stopping him explaining why AC Unity is a buggy mess but Far Cry 4 seems to run fine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

That's so cool :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

The malaria mechanic, along with the Swiss cheese guns were possibly some of the most I'll judged game design elements I'd seen in a long time....You're in a fire fight and bang you need to hit a button to take a shot. Oh, you didn't feel like trudging half way across the map to pick it up. Well **** you! And while we're at it. That gun you bought half an hour ago has stopped working due to the atmosphere being possibly modelled on Jupiters. Seriously, they were deeply ****ty approaches that just randomly punished the player.

Then you'd the respawning enemies, wonky AI, empty map, weird sound mixing, boring mission design. And to think, I almost avoided 3 because of it.

The truck with the gun in the gold/goy edition made travel fun. The standard cars were a pain to repair. I just went back to base and rearmed after every mission.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

If you were on Unity you would never show your face here again :pac: Bullet dodged :P

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

2 did a lot of things very wrong that made it a poor game in my opinion. There were 2 opposing factions that never treated you as an ally when you were working for them (lazy AI programming), it forced you into travelling long distances with no "quick skip" and it became tedium beyond any sane person's ability to cope with. The Malaria thing didn't bother me - it was an occasional "you gotta get Malaria meds quick" sort of thing, not exactly "Nico, it's your cousin, lets go bowling" in its interruptions :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,457 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

FC2 was a shooter that randomly took away the shooting mechanic. Imagine a mario game where every so often mario is waylaid by sciatica. Doubled over in pain, unable to jump until he crawls back to get physio coins at the start of the level. It'd be ridiculous, but that's essentially what FC2 did. It was a decent tech demo for the engine though.

If Nintendo opted to make a game in a gritty, war torn mushroom Kingdom where sickness and famine ran rampant then it would make sense. They won't, of course.

It didn't achieve all of its goals and had to make several compromises, sadly, but Far Cry 2 was more than a shooting game. It was a challenging open world and a desperate fight for survival, and in that context it made perfect sense that systems were randomly crippled - it was consistent with the fiction and world (if ultimately less organic than it would have ideally been). It can be seen as a precursor to the likes of DayZ which offer similarly brutal, unpredictable world's to survive in. It was a game that challenged norms and expectations, and it was quite invigorating even if it didn't nail the landing.

• Advertisement

Shiminay wrote: »
    2 did a lot of things very wrong that made it a poor game in my opinion. There were 2 opposing factions that never treated you as an ally when you were working for them (lazy AI programming), it forced you into travelling long distances with no "quick skip" and it became tedium beyond any sane person's ability to cope with. The Malaria thing didn't bother me - it was an occasional "you gotta get Malaria meds quick" sort of thing, not exactly "Nico, it's your cousin, lets go bowling" in its interruptions :)

Didn't rockstar give you the option to turn those off on your phone. FC2 really forced you to play the game a certain way to enjoy it. It was okay when you kept it long distance, but otherwise forget it. It was just a chore with downright odd design choices. I finished it, but felt so frustrated by the whole experience that I traded it. One of two games I did that last gen. Operation flashpoint being the other. I will give them credit for having a character selection screen at the start, neatly avoiding any white saviour charges.

If Nintendo opted to make a game in a gritty, war torn mushroom Kingdom where sickness and famine ran rampant then it would make sense. They won't, of course.

It didn't achieve all of its goals and had to make several compromises, sadly, but Far Cry 2 was more than a shooting game. It was a challenging open world and a desperate fight for survival, and in that context it made perfect sense that systems were randomly crippled - it was consistent with the fiction and world (if ultimately less organic than it would have ideally been). It can be seen as a precursor to the likes of DayZ which offer similarly brutal, unpredictable world's to survive in. It was a game that challenged norms and expectations, and it was quite invigorating even if it didn't nail the landing.

You're seriously reaching there Johnny.

you think getting malaria is worse than going bowling with your cousin?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I loved putting mines on the roads in fc2 and watching the ensueing chaos :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

RoyalCelt wrote: »

You could always politely tell Roman to f*ck off and you wouldn't curl up and die on the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Now that the reviews are out , has there been any word on how this performs on the consoles?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I couldn't see it being an issue as it runs on a modified (ultimately the same specs) engine as Far Cry 3.

thorbarry wrote: »
    Now that the reviews are out , has there been any word on how this performs on the consoles?

the reviews are the ps4 version as far as i'm aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Just ordered on PS4 from base.com thru rakuten £37.99 using voucher code MSERAK10 and a further 8.4% topcashback pending.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

When I'm playing a computer game and it's not interrupting me with constant harassment whilst I'm in the middle of a mission, yea, I'd much prefer Malaria to going bowling with my cousin :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Far Cry 2 was a brilliantly subversive, experimental and ambitious game. It went against the grain by attempting to make you feel in constant danger. You were not a super person, you were a desperate, sick individual battling against the odds in a very harsh world. When most FPS titles aim to empower the player, Far Cry 2 sought to disempower us which was seriously brave.

It's one of the few games where at some point you will suddenly realise you are the bad guy. I was a big fan of the game despite it's flaws. As for Far Cry 4 I'm with Shiminay. Not on the expecting bugs front. I expect it to be a good game but if I see the words "Season Pass" mentioned it goes on the back burner.

I'd be a little worried if you are getting this for PC.

http://www.pcgamer.com/why-our-far-cry-4-review-is-delayed/

I'd be a little worried if you are getting this for PC.

http://www.pcgamer.com/why-our-far-cry-4-review-is-delayed/

Wow thats bad form.

More reviews

Spanish media:
    3DJuegos (9/10)
    Vandal (9.2/10)
    Eurogamer Spain (9/10)

8/10 here from Dutch website http://www.xgn.nl/far-cry-4-review

IGN Germany 8.3
    Wow thats bad form.

It's possible that it's cus of the marketing deal they have with Sony but still you'd think they'd send them the review copy and just say you're not to release the PC review till the day it launches.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/far-cry-4/critic-reviews

Metacritc for the game is 87/100 and all 14 reviews so far are positive. Looking good so far.

http://psnprofiles.com/trophies/3148-Far-Cry-4

Trophy list, seems easy enough to plat, a couple of time consuming ones though.

http://psnprofiles.com/trophies/3148-Far-Cry-4

Trophy list, seems easy enough to plat, a couple of time consuming ones though.

Nice. Nothing worse than a plat that you can't be bothered with from the start because of 1 or 2 stupidly tedious trophies.

EDIT: 17 reviews now and the average is still 87/100. Lowest is an 80. I think Ubisoft might have finally pulled off a good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I think Ubisoft might have finally pulled off a good game.

Far Cry 3 says hello.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

I hope one day we see a far cry blood dragon 2 , one of the best pieces of dlc I ever played.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

where are people buying this on day one ?

Advertisement