Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving cert History - should I do it next year?

• 15-05-2014 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi , I'm planning to pick LC history and I'm wondering if I'm suitable to take this subject.I'm a hardworker so I think the learning will be alryt for me but I heard that U will need to write plenty of essays in HL English standard , English is my second language but I'm not bad at it its just not so good , i got a C in HL English for JC so I'm wondering would you need to be really skillful in English? Well i got an A I history for JC but i heard that LC history is totally different so do i have the ability to take history?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭LiverpoolLad95

I'm doing history right now, got an A in History and a C in English at HL in the JC just like yourself. Definitely take up History. Very interesting. To be perfectly honest, history is about how much you can write. It can be a short, well written 3 page essay that gets a C, and a 6 page okayish essay that gets the A.

To do well you have to get your essays to the standard you want, so if you want an A1 then do that. Then, its all about learning those essays off and you might have to manipulate them to suit a question. If your hardworking then really you should be well capable of it. With History, what you put in is what you get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭LiverpoolLad95

Also, I have a foreign mate like yourself, only half knew English when he came here, averages a low B/ C at HL so don't worry about the english part.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 rebeccaxtine

Hey :) I did history all through secondary school and absolutely loved it. If anything I found it a lot more enjoyable and rewarding in 5th and 6th year. I also got a C in English in my Junior Cert, a B in History - but when it came to the Leaving Cert last year, I got an A1 in History. It did take up an awful lot of time, I literally wrote an essay on every possible topic that could come up. From the very beginning I wrote essays at a very high standard - not necessarily full of complicated, descriptive language, more facts and to the point paragraphs. Once you find your own style and approach you will do extremely well. If you enjoy it now I would definitely encourage you to carry it on to LC. It was the class I looked forward to, and the subject that I would leave very last to study at night - it was honestly like a treat to myself! I was lucky enough to have a teacher who shared my enthusiasm and worked us all to the bone, she had very high expectations. I would definitely take a look at some example essays of what will be expected of you. They are tough and you have to know your stuff. Unlike English essays, the History examiner will look for substance, raw facts and confidence in your writing - not a load of descriptive, flowery language. I wrote 26 pages in my 2013 LC, and barely got to finish my 4th essay. But the reason I got the A1 was because I knew what I was talking about - no waffling!! So if your a hard worker Helen go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 CloCloBrowne

Helenm98 wrote: »
    Hi , I'm planning to pick LC history and I'm wondering if I'm suitable to take this subject.I'm a hardworker so I think the learning will be alryt for me but I heard that U will need to write plenty of essays in HL English standard , English is my second language but I'm not bad at it its just not so good , i got a C in HL English for JC so I'm wondering would you need to be really skillful in English? Well i got an A I history for JC but i heard that LC history is totally different so do i have the ability to take history?

It is totally different to the junior cert, but personally I hated it. I'm doing my leaving this year and feel totally unprepared. I'd say pick it of you have an interest in politics, but if you want to learn about wars and stuff that's not what it's about at all. I made that mistake. The RSR is interesting to do though

Advertisement