Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Refurbished iPad

Options
  • 15-05-2014 5:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭

I'm just curious on this. Apple sell refurb iPads on ther site and give a 1 year warranty.

With new items they also give a 1 year warranty however in Ireland I know you can make a claim up to 7 years or so after purchase.

I just wonder what does it say in regards to refurbs? Is it a case of you only get the 1 year the manufacturer gives seeing as you know it's a refurb when purchasing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭skelligs

however in Ireland I know you can make a claim up to 7 years or so after purchase.

Never heard of that in my life.

Maybe you are confusing that if a manufacturing fault occurs within a reasonable timeframe, it is covered under sale of goods act.

A reasonable time is open to interpretation and would depend on the product.

In any case even if it was a new Ipad, the apple warranty is in ADDITION to your statutory rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

I'm fairly certain when you know you are buying a product that is reduced because it's not up to the same standards (i.e. used) you won't have the full protection to make a claim after the warranty (i.e used / refurbished goods are exempt from sales of goods and services act that offers the consumer protection in Ireland).

I could be way off the mark though.

EDIT: Should point out I know the protection offered through SOGAS is different from manufacturer warranty and is responsibility of retailer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭The Governor

skelligs wrote: »
    Never heard of that in my life.

Maybe you are confusing that if a manufacturing fault occurs within a reasonable timeframe, it is covered under sale of goods act.

A reasonable time is open to interpretation and would depend on the product.

In any case even if it was a new Ipad, the apple warranty is in ADDITION to your statutory rights.

I dunno it was on this forum I read it before about a faulty item someone said in Ireland you can technically claim up to 7 years, however I assume you wouldn't get a repair after more than 2-3 years realistically for a smartphone for example. Anyway I'm not here to debate what I read on here, if it's wrong it's wrong.

Yeah you see how you say the Apple warranty is in addition to your statutory rights, what rights are afforded to a refurbished product, if any? Say I bought a refurb IPad off Apple directly with it's 1 year warranty and it goes kaput after 15 months, am I covered in any way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I'm fairly certain when you know you are buying a product that is reduced because it's not up to the same standards (i.e. used) you won't have the full protection to make a claim after the warranty (i.e used / refurbished goods are exempt from sales of goods and services act that offers the consumer protection in Ireland).

I could be way off the mark though.

EDIT: Should point out I know the protection offered through SOGAS is different from manufacturer warranty and is responsibility of retailer.

http://www.consumerhelp.ie/second-hand
    When you buy a second-hand item from someone who is selling it as part of their business, you have a similar set of rights as when you buy a new item. However, your rights very much depend on what you paid for the item.

Any item you buy, including a second-hand item, must be fit for the purpose it has been sold for. It must also be as described to you, and the quality must be of an expected level, given the price you paid.

But you cannot expect second-hand goods to be of the same standard as new products.

Second-hand goods are “sold as seen”, so there may be some fault, imperfection or wear and tear. You need to examine the item carefully and ask the seller to point out any damage or imperfections. Make sure the item does what it is expected to do. For example, if it is a second-hand television set, check that the picture and sound are working correctly, the reception is clear and the remote control works as it should.
    - See more at: http://www.consumerhelp.ie/second-hand#sthash.2VeeUcID.dpuf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭skelligs

I dunno it was on this forum I read it before about a faulty item someone said in Ireland you can technically claim up to 7 years, however I assume you wouldn't get a repair after more than 2-3 years realistically for a smartphone for example. Anyway I'm not here to debate what I read on here, if it's wrong it's wrong.

Yeah you see how you say the Apple warranty is in addition to your statutory rights, what rights are afforded to a refurbished product, if any? Say I bought a refurb IPad off Apple directly with it's 1 year warranty and it goes kaput after 15 months, am I covered in any way?

I just didn;t want you thinking that there is a set 7 year period.

I've bought refurb Ipads from apple. There's nothing wrong with them. There may have been a slight issue that was easily corrected and because of that you get about €70-€120 off. Sometimes its as minor as a few scratches.

Many Amazon warehouse deals are similar.

As they are unused and not secondhand but manufactured refurbished and sold described as perfect, your rights would be the same as a new item.

In saying that, Ipads are built very well and the number of returns due to manufacturing issues are tiny - so you'd have to be very unlucky.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

OP, you can also buy Apple care to extend the warranty Apple offer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭The Governor

Thanks all. I Actaully have an iPad 4 that I bought off them before Christmas as a refurb and it's great. I'm planning on getting an iPad Air refurb off them but I was just curious in regards to anything going wrong with it as a new one is €70 more, but being brand new at least I could realistically make a claim within 2-3 years anyway if something went wrong.

So I figured if I can claim the same on a refurb I'll just save the extra €70 compared to a new one. So it's de true I'd have the same rights with a refurb from them as a brand new one?

Thanks, I know about Apple Care it only adds another year to the warranty and it's circa €70 for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

I'm just curious on this. Apple sell refurb iPads on ther site and give a 1 year warranty.

With new items they also give a 1 year warranty however in Ireland I know you can make a claim up to 7 years or so after purchase.

I just wonder what does it say in regards to refurbs? Is it a case of you only get the 1 year the manufacturer gives seeing as you know it's a refurb when purchasing?

You're talking about the six year limiation period for simple contracts under the Statute of Limitations. You can make a claim within this six year period, whether it's sucessful or not comes down to what is reasonable.

Note this is against the retailer not the manufacturer. Even if they are both called apple they may be different enitities.

(At work no spell check sorry!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Thanks all. I Actaully have an iPad 4 that I bought off them before Christmas as a refurb and it's great. I'm planning on getting an iPad Air refurb off them but I was just curious in regards to anything going wrong with it as a new one is €70 more, but being brand new at least I could realistically make a claim within 2-3 years anyway if something went wrong.
    Even with a refurb or a fully second hand item you still have the protection of the Sale Of Goods Act to fall back on after Apple's warranty expires.
    So I figured if I can claim the same on a refurb I'll just save the extra €70 compared to a new one. So it's de true I'd have the same rights with a refurb from them as a brand new one?

Thanks, I know about Apple Care it only adds another year to the warranty and it's circa €70 for it.
    Yes you have the same rights with a refurbished ipad, the only difference is for items which are bought with faults that you can see or should reasonably know about.

Advertisement