Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much does a funeral and coffin cost and what if you don't have money?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

euser1984 wrote: »
    Do undertakers generally have brochures or anything?

Well my mother in. Law died on the Saturday night of a bank holiday weekend in Dublin. We rang a very well known undertaker, he came round in the mourning with a brochure and an order book. She herself would have been the first to say it was a bit like the Family Album woman years ago. Basically he took her away, brought her back an hour or so later and we never saw him again till Tuesday morning for the Mass /crematorium. That wouldn't be acceptable down here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    Well my mother in. Law died on the Saturday night of a bank holiday weekend in Dublin. We rang a very well known undertaker, he came round in the mourning with a brochure and an order book. She herself would have been the first to say it was a bit like the Family Album woman years ago. Basically he took her away, brought her back an hour or so later and we never saw him again till Tuesday morning for the Mass /crematorium. That wouldn't be acceptable down here.
    That is the mother and father of typo's right there. I nearly choked laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

4k average

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭surpy

heard about this place before http://legacy.ie/ (no connection)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

ken wrote: »
    Your dead, what do you care. After 3-4 days you'd start smelling and they'd have to put you somewhere.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/death/after_a_death/burials.html
    Burial where the deceased has no means

If someone dies without the means to pay for burial and if this person has no traceable next of kin, it is the responsibility of the Department of Social Protection or local authority to ensure that the person is buried in a dignified manner that does not impinge on public health or public decency. The Department or local authority will also be liable for the charges and costs involved in doing so.

What happens if the person has a whole family/next of kin but (for whatever reason) the family dont want to/aren't willing to pay ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

Could they force the family to pay though ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

I'd imagine (not sure though) the state would try take it out of any asset's left by the deceased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

ken wrote: »
    I'd imagine (not sure though) the state would try take it out of any asset's left by the deceased.

It's the very first debt to be settled in probate

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/death/the_deceaseds_estate/dealing_with_the_deceaseds_estate.html

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭reddevilfan

aaabbbb wrote: »
    Could they force the family to pay though ?

Hi aaabbbb

My Sister died suddenly this week aged 32, she was uninsured and had been living on the streets etc. My mother is almost 60 and was not prepared for this at all. My Sister walked into St James A&E with a headache at 2 pm and at 12.50 am that night we were notified by Gardai that she had catastrophic brain injury from infection that swelled and was clinically dead at 04.35 pm the next day.

An Autopsy was ordered for obvious reasons and the pathologist called my Mother who did not want a PM done but it had to be done.

The pathologist told my Mam that if we could not afford the Funeral that the state would pay for it and it was called a Contract funeral where we would have no input into the burial and it would be just a basic burial straight from the morgue after the Autopsy without flowers or cars etc... formerly known as a porpers funeral.

My Sister meant more than that so that wont be happening anyway... its a full traditional funeral all the way....

An Undertaker call Pat McGill from Buncloady in Wexford has arranged my sisters funeral and TBH

I feel like we robbed him..... €3400 for standard Coffin with top of the range lining all other costs hearse car wreaths etc....

the quote from The Massey Undertakers for the same service was almost 4 thousand more...

I highly recommend him

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

If a body gets cremated , you need a coffin but not a grave correct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Boaty wrote: »
    If a body gets cremated , you need a coffin but not a grave correct?

The coffin you see before it gets cremated does not get burnt, its like wrapping paper on a present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

The coffin you see before it gets cremated does not get burnt, its like wrapping paper on a present.

Are you sayying they take the body out of it? Does that mean I could use it for the next time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭euser1984

reddevilfan: Sorry to hear about your loss.

So when my father dies, what would be the cheapest possible cremation cost?

There will be no one attending the cremation
    So basically, costs incurred would be:

Coffin for cremation
    Transport to crematorium (Galway to Dub presumably)
    Cremation

He has no money and no estate. Lots of family but none would be willing to contribute to cremation costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Boaty wrote: »
    Are you sayying they take the body out of it? Does that mean I could use it for the next time?
    Good question. If you've paid for it and it hasn't been buried or burned, then it's a reasonable question to ask where it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Your dead on:D
    Is the coffin cremated?

Emphatically Yes.
    The coffin is cremated and the ashes are available for collection generally after 24 hours.

http://www.islandcrematorium.ie/f-a-q/

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Darthvadar

An Undertaker call Pat McGill from Buncloady in Wexford has arranged my sisters funeral and TBH

I feel like we robbed him..... €3400 for standard Coffin with top of the range lining all other costs hearse car wreaths etc....

the quote from The Massey Undertakers for the same service was almost 4 thousand more...

I highly recommend him

Couldn't agree more!...

My darling mum died in July, and Pat did her funeral... I couldn't fault him... Nothing was too much trouble... Embalming would have been more complex due to Mum having been a Peretoneal Dialysis patient, but Pat and his whole crew were amazing...

And as my mum was ill for a long time, and I knew her death was coming, I did a bit of ringing around, checking prices, etc... I saved about €2,500 by using this firm...

I cannot speak highly enough about him...

I'm very sorry to hear of your sister's death... Very traumatic for you all... May she rest in peace...

Darth...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Zombie thread - closed

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement