Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Downshifting - new to bikes

• 15-05-2014 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

I've just done my IBT but don't think I've mastered downshifting. I'm mostly concentrating on staying alive out there but feel frustrated that my handling of the bike in certain circumstances isn't smooth! I'm sure practice will help, of course.

I bought a Ninja 250r which I love and I'm excited about getting used to it. It (it will become a 'she' when my emotional attachment builds up)! :) The bike feels quite big for me as a petite girl but I think I can handle its size fine.

When I'm coming to a red light or stop sign, etc., my main aim is to stop in time and to keep safe. I tend to roll off the throttle and brake and end up frantically trying to get back to first with the clutch in at the end.

I have also tried to shift down, for example, when approaching a speed bump. So I've slowed down, shifted down and the bike makes a lot of noise which makes me feel like I've not done it right. So I've ended up avoiding downshifiting except when I'm stopping.

I've heard that coming to a bend, it's good to shift down so that out of the bend, when you shift up, the bike is reactive rather than sluggish.

Does anyone have any tips for me, please? I don't drive a car so I'm not too savvy. I love motorbikes and would be so happy to feel more in tune with it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭nerrad1983

My advice to you would be to get a couple of hours extra lessons until you feel comfortable in yourself on the bike

Lookbehindyou (Mick Finlay) is a member on this forum and is a top class instructor and if you happen to live around the Leinster area he Is the person to call

Here is his website with contact details etc http://roadtraining.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Practice practice practice..

Drive to an industrial estate or a shopping centre car park and drive around it until your tank is nearly dry... trying all different scenarios along the way!

regarding rolling on and off the throttle... when you're in a corner, best practice is to keep the throttle open and have the bike engaged at all times, not to roll around the corner then accelerate..

If you're nervous your finger is probably hovering over the front brake, this is fine but when you are turning, make a conscious effort to remove your finger from the prone position so you are not tempted to touch the front brake..

A good idea, that helped me when I was learning, was to drive around and when I found another bike that looked competent I would follow him for a bit (not try match his speed/tech - just to see what he does) and learn from him/her on what they do right or wrong...

where are you located?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Lemonperv

Thanks for the replies!

I'll be going out with a friend at the weekend and we're going to take it very easy. Planning to go out early and go to a car park and maybe a spin too.

From talking to my friend and others, it seems like the downshifting thing comes with experience and I'm probably over thinking it!

I'll definitely be doing more training hours down the line. The IBT, bike and decent gear was financially draining but very happy that now I have some knowledge to build on. When I've more cash and way more hours on the bike, Mick is on my radar because I've heard only good things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Try to get bike into 2nd don't put into 1st while still moving unless not fast enough to take back off in 2nd as this will defo lock your rear wheel.

As said above lessons and practice and look at it like this anyone else on the road doesn't see or care about you.

Be safe and get a good trainer..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭CNTRLR

as above get someone to ride with you, will not only give you tips etc but any time in the saddle will build your confidence,
    Also don't aim to get the bike to first, try aim for 2nd gear when coming to a stop, then when stopped go down to first, if you find that you are in too high too often try hold third gear for just moving around in traffic, the revs will increase but the ninja has plenty of space in third for riding around town etc,
    Are you using engine breaking? i found that starting out this helps a lot in getting to the correct gear before a stop.
    Most people will say that you should have this leg or that leg down when stopped, for me its a personal preference, i prefer to have my left leg on the peg and my right down, not only so i can get in gear quicker but also so i can shift down to first when stopped, i will however put both down if i am stopped for a while... but at the end of the day its your preference which leg you put down. just my 2 cents i am sure someone else will come along with something else/better than my opinion.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys.

Yes, I've used a little bit of engine braking but sometimes the bike makes a big noise even when going from 3rd to 2nd! I think I'll just have to get out and practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

Lemonperv wrote: »
    Thanks guys.

Yes, I've used a little bit of engine braking but sometimes the bike makes a big noise even when going from 3rd to 2nd! I think I'll just have to get out and practice.

Bikes are noisy things don't be worrying about hurting ppls ears. Just concentrate on riding properly. If that means the bike is noisy . . . So be it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Most of them like a little blip of the throttle as you downshift, just to even-up the speed of the crankshaft and transmission mainshaft. Have a look at that when you get more comfortable. Meantime, ensure your chain is in good condition and correctly adjusted, and enjoy the becheeses out of it. Keep 'er lit, hi!! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I use engine braking all the time and only really use the brakes as a warning to any one behind me. When I approach a stop it goes, roll off..... down shift....down shift.... etc........ Brake. As jim suggested you can blip the throttle but don't worry about this yet; keep it simple, clutch in, shift down and release the clutch slowly and it will be smoother. It sounds to me you are totally reliant on the brakes to slow you down and possibly coasting when coming to a stop. Get out on the bike and try to ride only using engine braking and without using the brakes at all, only use them when you have to, emergency, at the end when coming to a stop. You'll get used to it very quickly. You should be using engine braking and the brakes, not just the brakes, you'll soon find the balance with practice.

Don't worry about the noise when you down shift the revs get higher so it's normal, just make sure you're not too close to redline when down shifting.

+1 Mick, also go on the Sunday spin, you'll learn loads and Mick is very often in the group.

Yes, definitely guilty of coasting for the last couple of metres when it hasn't been timed smoothly!

I'll work on getting this down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭the cats pajamas

mick is a great teacher he got me through my ibt and full test.
    My personal opinion on improving is go and practice very slow very tight stuff.
    I find that when i improve at that, I improve all round.
    but spending time with mick cannot hurt.
    Also if your gonna be trying out stuff you have read on the internet make sure you have space to make mistakes and be ok.
    It's a great resource I use a lot and the people here are more than useful but still be careful

Yep, no heroics! I've an area I can go practise stuff with no traffic early on weekend mornings so I'm going to do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

I have a ninja 300 and she would be fairly similar to the 250 (though the 300 does have a slipper clutch which the 250r doesn't have which simplifies things even more). I find that rolling off in 6th gear would allow me to slow gently enough down to 33kph before being forced to downshift. I believe this is around 22-25kph on the ninja 250r? What this means is that you don't have to worry about downshifting too quickly since you rolled off with plenty of distance (you do roll off early enough don't you? :) ) before having to stop (more time you give yourself the easier things become), unless you feel the traffic is going to start moving in which case you down a gear or two to give you enough power to gently accelerate again.

In the beginning I would slow to 33ish kph and then either I'd be going slow enough to stop under light breaking (and downshift to 1st gear once stopped) or I'd drop a single gear or two to gently accelerate again. It mean't I could concentrate on other things in the beginning and before I knew it I was downshifting automatically at the appropriate points.

The 300's, and I imagine the 250r, are great at allowing you to gently accelerate in high gears meaning the need to downshift unless stopping is minimal (how much power you want in an emergency is almost the only thing to be wary of meaning quicker downshifts then the bike would in theory allow). If you want to accelerate a bit more aggresively they'll do that as well by dropping a gear or two. Really very easy bikes to ride as a beginner.

As others have said, don't worry about the noise when downshifting and you'll soon learn the optimum point when your bike prefers to downshift for the power you want available and you'll do it automatically in no time :)

With the above said, many riders prefer to have more power available at all times for safety reasons (in case you need to accelerate suddenly to avoid something) in which case you should be downshifting at around 4500-5000 rpms on the 250r but don't panic if you momentarily forget as your bike shouldn't struggle till around 3krpm?

The following guide may be of interest to you and deals exclusively with gear changes on the 250.

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Accelerating,_changing_gears

That's great information, thank you.

I got out this morning for my first proper spin since my IBT with my friend.

I practised my downshifting and it felt a lot better today. Everything felt better, actually! Really happy even though I stalled at a lights once... Thankfully the car behind me were nice and understanding :)

Sorry to be gushing but it really is the coolest thing. It's so challenging and requires so much awareness but it feels great when things start to connect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Lemonperv wrote: »
    That's great information, thank you.

I got out this morning for my first proper spin since my IBT with my friend.

I practised my downshifting and it felt a lot better today. Everything felt better, actually! Really happy even though I stalled at a lights once... Thankfully the car behind me were nice and understanding :)

Sorry to be gushing but it really is the coolest thing. It's so challenging and requires so much awareness but it feels great when things start to connect.

Good. The Force is with you, young Skywalker. However, never forget - they're all trying to kill you. Stay frosty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

Make sure your at the right speed and that your chain is ajusted properily when downshifting, a loose chain will cause chain slap which is a no no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭Plopli

Keep at it, practice make perfect !

When it comes to noise, I don't think a bit of back firing when going down the gear is a problem. If it's gear grinding noises, it's probably not so good.

For stalling at the light, it still happen to me and I'm driving a bike for ~20 years now.
    Don't stress over the car behind you, they can wait a bit.

You should always have finished braking, in the correct gear, be fully engaged and have a bit of open throttle when going into a corner. As the bend open you can start rolling the throttle open.

If you ride with other, don't be tempted to follow. Drive at your own rythm, even if everyone has to wait for you at some point.
    If they can't or won't, they are not worth riding with.
    If you ever commute and filter, do the same. Never be pushed at taking risk because there is someone faster in front or behind you.

Enjoy the wind (and the sun when it's out) !

Advertisement