Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What kind of building needs planning permission?

Options
  • 15-05-2014 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

I'm wondering what determines if you need to apply for planning permission when one wants to erect a small building. Are structures under a certain size exempt? Or does it depend on foundations... or the intended use for the structure.

Can anyone enlighten me? This is all purely hypothetical, I don't plan to build anything in the foreseeable future.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

How near is it to other buildings, are there any other buildings nearby, will it be permanent or temporary?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Temppe

Hmm... I see.

When you say temporary, does this mean the owner declares to the local authority that it'll be removed after a certain period of time? Or does it mean that it can stay as long as the owner likes, as long as it could be removed on relatively short notice if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

A shed for agricultural purposes, for example, I think is exempt.

My reasoning behind this is
    Under the Planning and Development Act 2000, planning permission is required for all development of land other than exempted development

And a sample list of the exempted builidngs would be; http://www.lcc.ie/Planning/Exempted_Development_index/List_of_Possible_Exempted_Development/

And even then what you'll be using it for, and what you'll be putting inside it, matters a lot. Someone may correct me on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved from Accommodation & Property.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Your hypothetical question has too many variables and there well be to many if's & but's here to answer it. Assume you need proper planning and professional assistance period.
    Here are the exemptions http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2001/en/si/0600.html#sched2

• Advertisement
Advertisement