Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German letter phrases -help!!

Options
  • 15-05-2014 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

I'm doing German for my junior cert in June and I'm struggling a bit at the moment. I find the letter and postcard are the hardest sections in the exam. My teacher said to get high marks in this section you need to use the imperfect and conditional tenses to "show off". Does anyone have any phrases using these tenses which I can incorporate into my writing? Thanks in advance!! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Kelly090

I'm doing German for my junior cert in June. I'm struggling a bit but I want to do well. I find the letter writing and postcard section the hardest. My teacher said to get high marks in this sections you need to "show off" by using the imperfect and conditional tenses. Can anybody give me some phrases which I can incorporate into my writing using these tenses? Thanks in advance!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

It really depends on the questions for you to use the conditional/imperfect tenses so that it's in a relevant context.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭FifaPlaya

For what topic or question in the letter?

FifaPlaya wrote: »
    For what topic or question in the letter?

Like general phrases, does that make sense?
    "it was great fun"
    "the holidays were unforgettable"
    "I would love to visit you"
    "We could go to the beach" etc :)

For the holidays you can say: Ich bin mit meinem Familie gefahren and Ich bin nach London gegangen or to make you get more points for example: Letzes Jahr, ich bin mit meinem Familie nach London gefahren. Es hat mir super gefallen ,is also good aswell.

• Advertisement

For the holidays you can say: Ich bin mit meinem Familie gefahren and Ich bin nach London gegangen or to make you get more points for example: Letzes Jahr, ich bin
    inem Familie nach London gefahren. Es hat mir super gefallen ,is also good aswell.

Keine problem but just remember the imperfekt tense goes at teh end of the sentence and begins with ge

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Themen zusammengeführt.:)
    Threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

Keine problem but just remember the imperfekt tense goes at teh end of the sentence and begins with ge

You're describing the "Perfekt Tense" not the "Imperfekt Tense"
    Also; in the Perfekt Tense verbs don't always begin with ge.
    For example - verbs that end in ieren (studieren, reservieren) don't take a ge at all they swap the "en" for a t (Ich habe .... studiert/reserviert)
    Separable verbs (fernsehen) take ge after the part that separates during the present tense -> ferngesehen
    Also - verbs that begin with "ver" (verkauken -> verkauft) and "be" (besichtigen -> besichtigt) tend to not take ge.

The imperfekt tense is very different and tends to only have one verb in the sentence.
    For example -> the perfekt tense for arbeiten.
    Ich habe in die Geschaften gearbeitet.
    Imperfekt tense -> Ich arbeitete in die Geschaften.

Or "haben"
    Ich habe das gehabt. (Perfekt)
    Ich hatte das. (Imperfekt)

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭rio1

Be careful following the above. There are grammar mistakes in the help given. It's "Die Familie", so 'mit der Familie'. It's "das Problem" so "kein Problem" .

You asked re the imperfect and have got an explanation of the perfect above.

Imperfect is simple past, so the equivalent in English of went, had, was, did etc. The perfect uses "have" with the past participle of the verb...so in English "I have done" etc.
    in spoken German we use the perfect most of the time, other than with certain verbs...sein for example, I would normally say war and not bin gewesen. Imperfect is used when writing more.

In your examples I would translate as follows;

"it was great fun - es hat sehr viel spaß gemacht
    "the holidays were unforgettable Die Ferien waren unvergesslich
    "I would love to visit you" ich würde dich sehr gern besuchen
    "We could go to the beach" etc Wir könnten zum Strand gehen

• Advertisement

rio1 wrote: »
    Be careful following the above. There are grammar mistakes in the help given. It's "Die Familie", so 'mit der Familie'. It's "das Problem" so "kein Problem" .

You asked re the imperfect and have got an explanation of the perfect above.

Imperfect is simple past, so the equivalent in English of went, had, was, did etc. The perfect uses "have" with the past participle of the verb...so in English "I have done" etc.
    in spoken German we use the perfect most of the time, other than with certain verbs...sein for example, I would normally say war and not bin gewesen. Imperfect is used when writing more.

In your examples I would translate as follows;

"it was great fun - es hat sehr viel spaß gemacht
    "the holidays were unforgettable Die Ferien waren unvergesslich
    "I would love to visit you" ich würde dich sehr gern besuchen
    "We could go to the beach" etc Wir könnten zum Strand gehen

Thank you so so much!!! your so good at German :) this info is so helpful thanks

Advertisement