Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish are obsessed with buying a house

Options
  • 15-05-2014 8:58pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31

In Every other country in the world people have no problems living in apartments(often cheaper and in locations close to amenities ) but the Irish are obsessed with houses and will often pay most of their wages to live in one?

Why?

I'd much rather buy a nice apartment that i can easily afford and still have most my money left over at the end of the month to enjoy,travel etc than try keep up with the jones's

Why the obsession with houses ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

It's really not an Irish phenomenon at all, complete ignorance to say otherwise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 horsesfc88

Montroseee wrote: »
    It's really not an Irish phenomenon at all, complete ignorance to say otherwise.

I take it you never lived anywhere else other than Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Because people like the idea of the space, the numerous bedrooms..especially if they're a young couple and going to have a family..the garden, the feeling that you own something substantial and can pass it down to your children.
    It's not unusual.

I live in a council home but I would love to own my own house one day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Montroseee wrote: »

Houses with gardens are rare in most European cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

horsesfc88 wrote: »
    I'd much rather buy a nice apartment that i can easily afford and still have most my money left over at the end of the month to enjoy,travel etc than try keep up with the jones's

Why the obsession with houses ?

Possible because there are very few nice apartments to begin with.

D.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Same in Dublin, when you venture out into the outskirts of the city you have them, like most cities in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Because someone wants a home that they won't be kicked out of by pushed up rents or the LL turning around and saying oh by the way im moving back into my property or putting it up for sale.

It would be ok if it had a system like other countries but don't see that happening.

Rents are too high and not enough properties.

Op you need to read into the issue better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Source?

Or is it just the usual stuff trotted out like "the Irish are obsessed with owning their own home"....while the actual data shows we are at the average European level for home ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Sun in Capri

I think in many other countries in Europe there is much more security renting property than there is in Ireland. Also from my experience, in Europe a lot of the properties are un furnished and the tenant can do them up the way they would like with lots of of very long term leases which gives security. In Europe there are rules regarding rents, so you are unlikely to get notice of a huge hike in rent, like can happen here.

If you have a deposit and get mortage approval, why would you pay rent if your mortgage would be the same per month.

Because someone wants a home that they won't be kicked out of by pushed up rents or the LL turning around and saying oh by the way im moving back into my property or putting it up for sale.

It would be ok if it had a system like other countries but don't see that happening.

Rents are too high and not enough properties.

Op you need to read into the issue better.

You need to read my post again

I never said anything about rent, i said i would rather BUY a nice apartment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Density of population in Ireland is a lot lower than in most European countries. (And half of that space is taken iver by Alps )  It is easier to build houses if you have more space. There probably should be more apartment living in cities but apartments in decent areas can be just as expensive as houses. Very often the choice between house or apartment when buying or building is more of a lifestyle decision than financial decision.

Btw I am willing to bet that a lot of people on Continent would love to have the space people here enjoy.

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Source?

Or is it just the usual stuff trotted out like "the Irish are obsessed with owning their own home"....while the actual data shows we are at the average European level for home ownership.

Not really look at the stats again

You do realize we have a small population Einstein ?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,681 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Dublin is very sparcely populated compared to other European cities, there is enough empty land to build the same number of houses again complete with gardens within the county of Dublin. Land prices are not in line with what they actually should be, it's all speculation, council planning and general rip off of the house buyer at every opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

meeeeh wrote: »
    Density of population in Ireland is a lot lower than in most European countries. (And half of that space is taken iver by Alps )  It is easier to build houses if you have more space. There probably should be more apartment living in cities but apartments in decent areas can be just as expensive as houses. Very often the choice between house or apartment when buying or building is more of a lifestyle decision than financial decision.

Btw I am willing to bet that a lot of people on Continent would love to have the space people here enjoy.

In my experience of living on the continent, houses with gardens are relatively rare in areas which are in anyway urban. Even in rural area's apartment living in very small towns is common. People do tend to own the property they live in though and certainly aspire to in much the same way as Irish people do regardless of the greater security of tenure.
    One thing, anecdotally (based on a pretty small sample) people I have spoken to on the subject of space don't actually aspire to have greater space, people tend towards what they know I guess.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

I bought a lovely house, in a lovely estate in a lovely town.... Why? Because I like it.... Because its what I want..... I want to spend my money on my mortgage etc but I do this for me, not to "keep up with the jones" as you so ignorantly put it. I don't like apartments.... But that's my choice. This op is pretty I'll informed and stupid.

ChewChew wrote: »
    I bought a lovely house, in a lovely estate in a lovely town.... Why? Because I like it.... Because its what I want..... I want to spend my money on my mortgage etc but I do this for me, not to "keep up with the jones" as you so ignorantly put it. I don't like apartments.... But that's my choice. This op is pretty I'll informed and stupid.

Lovely Town? Kildare? Really

Doesn't sound like you bought it out of choice.

More like you just can't afford to buy property in the capital city

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    In my experience of living on the continent, houses with gardens are relatively rare in areas which are in anyway urban. Even in rural area's apartment living in very small towns is common. People do tend to own the property they live in though and certainly aspire to in much the same way as Irish people do regardless of the greater security of tenure.
    One thing, anecdotally (based on a pretty small sample) people I have spoken to on the subject of space don't actually aspire to have greater space, people tend towards what they know I guess.
    A lot of this has to do with density of population. City centers definitely don't have as many one family houses but there are still plenty of them in suburbs and in villages. A lot of my friends might rent or even buy an apartment when younger and then build when they have families. Where I come from buying a house is uncommon but building one is very often done and the cost is very comparable to a flat.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Lovely Town? Kildare? Really

Doesn't sound like you bought it out of choice.

More like you just can't afford to buy property in the capital city

I bought 100% out of choice, and my choice being that I do not now, nor will I ever want to live in the Capital City.

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

Maybe you could link these stats for us?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

That home ownership is the preferred choice for most people. Irish people will need to adjust as jobs become more mobile and people have to move to where the work is throughout their lives.

There will need to be a quantum leap in terms and security of rents and what is allowed in terms of decor etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

For me right now, paying a mortgage is cheaper than renting. So why rent. Cheaper to buy and I have my own property in later life as security.

For me right now, paying a mortgage is cheaper than renting. So why rent. Cheaper to buy and I have my own property in later life as security.

I never once mentioned rent in the post, why you got rent on the brain? Renty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

I had a large - and i mean large - 2 bed 9th floor apartment in Antwerp, rent controlled, magnificent views of the city, underground parking, underground storage, large garden and playground just outside. 3 and 9 year leases available with single digit percentage increases. Was about 400 / month at the time. Try finding that here.

Oh and a full time concierge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

OP have you seen the state of the apartments in ireland?
    I lived in an apartment in holland for a while. Families lived in them. Public transport ran through the middle of them. They were high rise (10 stories I think), and of outstanding build quality with plenty of storage space.
    Irish apartments are like cardboard boxes in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Source?

the same can be said about the original message.

the Irish rental system does not offer the same products as other countries.

in other countries you rent, unfurnished rent controlled places on long term basis. that doesn't happy here.

people like security, in Ireland renting does not offer that.

OP have you seen the state of the apartments in ireland?
    I lived in an apartment in holland for a while. Families lived in them. Public transport ran through the middle of them. They were high rise (10 stories I think), and of outstanding build quality with plenty of storage space.
    Irish apartments are like cardboard boxes in comparison.

Holland is a postage stamp of land with 20 million people. They do that because they have to not because they want to. Those Dutch conurbations look depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

Holland is a postage stamp of land with 20 million people. They do that because they have to not because they want to. Those Dutch conurbations look depressing.

Not depressing at all. They're build to last, great build quality. Huge rooms with great views and facilities. I'd have no problem living in one here instead of a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

OP if you can't engage with the other posters in a civilised tone I will close your thread.

This is your one and only warning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

I can't understand the need to race to buy a home. As one of the posters commented - it'd be nice to hand down to family etc...except that doesn't happen.

People are upsizing all the time to bigger homes - "getting on the ladder".

I've lived in a lot of places in Spain, and home ownership levels amongst older generations would be the same as in Ireland- however that is changing with people under 40. Most have seen the fluctuations in the property market and got scared. Likewise, the "new build" apartments, on the outskirts of towns like Barcelona, Madrid are literally in the back end of nowhere. You had 30/40 somethings racing to buy them as they didn't expect the crash. Now, they're being offered in many cases at 30% of their original purchase price.

I'm 30, and instead of racing to get a 3 bed semi in a suburb outside cork/dublin/galway - i've chosen to leave, have always rented and am investing my cash in different ways. Not having property has freed up our cash no ends, and we get good returns on our financial investments. It has also allowed us to follow our career opportunities and not worry about paying a mortgage.

Advertisement