Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert History

• 15-05-2014 9:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭

Basically, I have prepared all my essays, have had them all corrected and I average a B1. I'm aiming for an A1. The essays are all at least 1000 words/4 pages as my teacher stated that it is the absolute minimum it should be at HL. As I'm aiming for A1, I have become really nervous as my essays are obviously B1s. In the mocks I got a B3. Anyways, the teacher was telling the class last week that he was checking an essay of one his students in last years LC (He did this in September) That essay got 100% in the exam, but he said he would give it no more than 70%. As well as this, my teacher didn't cover one of the essays so I used my cousins essay (who did his lc last year) and he marked it at 71% but my cousin's teacher gave it 96%. He corrects the LC each year and I'm just wandering why there is such disparity between the markings (does it really depend on the marker rather than the essay) I would also like to know if anyone else encountered this problem throughout their experiences and how they fared in leaving.

Cheers and sorry for the long rant.

Also I'm not slating this teacher, he is excellent and very nice, but just a harsh marker.....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

As well as this, my teacher didn't cover one of the essays so I used my cousins essay (who did his lc last year) and he marked it at 71% but my cousin's teacher gave it 96%.
    Many teachers have a policy of marking homework / essays etc. more harshly, especially in the upper grade range, to encourage students to strive to do even better.

There are arguments pro and con the practice.
    He corrects the LC each year and I'm just wandering why there is such disparity between the markings (does it really depend on the marker rather than the essay)
    There is a whole system in the correction of the actual LC to cross-moderate between markers and avoid such discrepancies.

It's not absolutely foolproof (what system is, especially with the kind of numbers you're dealing with in the state exams?) but it's fairly effective at picking up and correcting aberrations.

Advertisement