Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2014 OT v2.0 - Official Bitch & Moan thread

• 15-05-2014 10:03pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭

New thread smell!

Any suggestions for a thread title?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

First post :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    New thread smell!

I guessed you would be hanging around just waiting to make the new one! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Will there be 10000 posts. By June 4th haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

To be honest... probably... :pac:

Is anyone else applying for a Naughton Scholarship? :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Probably not, but going by the experience of the last few years, it will be damn close to it by the time the LC is over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    New thread smell!

"The Panicquel" As in the sequel to the first thread but now we're all panicking. No? ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I was actually away for the past hour or so. And sure, how was I to know when you would grace us with your presence once again? :P

I think this is my first thread in this forum :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭chatterboxxx95

Woo new thread :D how about the official procrastination thread :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Huell

aleatorio wrote: »
    Is anyone else applying for a Naughton Scholarship? :o
    Ye put mine in today, even though there is a very slim chance of getting it :P

• Advertisement

Huell wrote: »
    Ye put mine in today, even though there is a very slim chance of getting it :P

Im still trying to write my statements... Havent a clue how I should 'come across' or what.. :L
    Really really need to get it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Huell

aleatorio wrote: »
    Im still trying to write my statements... Havent a clue how I should 'come across' or what.. :L
    Really really need to get it :(
    Ye it took me two days to write 400 words :P

Huell wrote: »
    Ye it took me two days to write 400 words :P

Ive been working on it since last month... Yet only have one finished, and one half done, and the other not even started... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

I was told this would be called the "Official Bitch and Moan" thread Nim, remember? :(

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90332518&postcount=9766

I know you're a man of your word, online anonymous stranger I've barely talked to.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭LoveLamps

I think youre looking for "aaaarrrrggghhhh" head to c&h

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Hotale.com wrote: »
    I was told this would be called the "Official Bitch and Moan" thread Nim, remember? :(

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90332518&postcount=9766

I know you're a man of your word, online anonymous stranger I've barely talked to.

I post so much ****e on this, I had forgotten about that :P But yes, I did say it!

Randy, can ya make it happen? :pac:

All I can think of when I hear someone say Randy is people I know shouting "Gandhi is a randy man!".

Don't ask.

(Thanks for reminding me of good 3rd year times :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Welcome back r-dog :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭Kyro

I genuinely can't believe I haven't studied yet.

And I want to get very high points.

It's terrible.

Kyro wrote: »
    I genuinely can't believe I haven't studied yet.

And I want to get very high points.

It's terrible.

Start right now then! :D It's never to late to give a good crack at the last few weeks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

Jesus that Maths DEB Paper 1 is horrible! Got it from my teacher to do...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

Just wondering for comparative, do you focus on one point at a time and compare the 3 texts in terms of that or do you compare 2 texts at a time?
    How many links would you have in a 70 mark question?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭SChique00

Cash flows seem to have some sort of vendetta against me, I'm convinced :( praying like a nun for club/service and suspense in section 2!
    Just wondering for comparative, do you focus on one point at a time and compare the 3 texts in terms of that or do you compare 2 texts at a time?
    How many links would you have in a 70 mark question?

Well, as someone whose highest mark comes from the comparative section (normally between 65-68/70), I'd say that the quality of your links matters so much more than the amount of links involved. I tend to talk about the three under three main points, which comes to five long paragraphs of an answer (including an intro and conclusion).
    For theme/issue questions, for example, pick one common theme and try and make three statements about how the theme is put across in each of the texts.

As for how to compare the texts themselves, I tend to use one of them as the "anchor" of my essay, comparing the similarities it has with one, and highlighting the differences between both of them with the third text - sounds a bit confusing but I find it's the easiest way to do it, as opposed to making shallow links and trying to jump back and forth for the sake of including all the texts equally. You don't have to talk about them all in equal measure - the most important thing is that you don't spend a whole paragraph talking about one, then going to another paragraph and discussing the other seperately - interweave them all by sticking to your key points.
    Oh, and use plenty of linking words too, just to hammer home that you're on track with your answer (X is similar to Y in that/contrastingly, Y differs from Z due to...)

Hope that's of some use to you! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

SChique00 wrote: »

Well, as someone whose highest mark comes from the comparative section (normally between 65-68/70), I'd say that the quality of your links matters so much more than the amount of links involved. I tend to talk about the three under three main points, which comes to five long paragraphs of an answer (including an intro and conclusion).
    For theme/issue questions, for example, pick one common theme and try and make three statements about how the theme is put across in each of the texts.

As for how to compare the texts themselves, I tend to use one of them as the "anchor" of my essay, comparing the similarities it has with one, and highlighting the differences between both of them with the third text - sounds a bit confusing but I find it's the easiest way to do it, as opposed to making shallow links and trying to jump back and forth for the sake of including all the texts equally. You don't have to talk about them all in equal measure - the most important thing is that you don't spend a whole paragraph talking about one, then going to another paragraph and discussing the other seperately - interweave them all by sticking to your key points.
    Oh, and use plenty of linking words too, just to hammer home that you're on track with your answer (X is similar to Y in that/contrastingly, Y differs from Z due to...)

Hope that's of some use to you! :o

I feel like no teacher properly explains how you are meant to lay it out because they all say different things. We were told to have at least 8 links for a 70 marker but I thought that was a bit much.
    I think comparative is just very vague in general:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

I've concluded today that plant biology has to be the most boring thing ever. :o

The amount of cramming I'm gonna do for chemistry in the next five weeks will be ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭LoveLamps

The comparative seems to be so badly taught! We're doing CC and half the class are still foggy about what it actually is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

I feel like no teacher properly explains how you are meant to lay it out because they all say different things. We were told to have at least 8 links for a 70 marker but I thought that was a bit much.
    I think comparative is just very vague in general:rolleyes:

That's completely true. A few of us asked my teacher to revise comparative but he kind of neglected to do it. Probably tried to avoid it as no one really knows what's necessary. I never really know if what I'm writing for the comparative is A1 standard or grade A shite tbh.

peekachoo wrote: »
    I've concluded today that plant biology has to be the most boring thing ever. :o

Ugh its horrible :( Plant reproduction was the bane of my existence until I finally sat down and spent like 3 hours learning it :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I think 3 texts is too much for the comparative and just leads to many people producing superficial, waffley answers. If people could concentrate on two I think it would be easier.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement