Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2014 OT v2.0 - Official Bitch & Moan thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭LoveLamps

peekachoo wrote: »
    Hope, happiness, death
    all essentially linked withher temporary mental state

Yeah i have joy & nature, none of the powms im doing have death

"Yeats' creative use of language and imagery highlights the profiund ideas expressed in his poetry"

What??? What creative use of language does he have?? And creatvive use of imagery? Gaahhh HELP PLEASE GOD

• Registered Users Posts: 40 sammydev

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Almost 100% chance. The only year that the a question didnt come up having not come up the year before was like ten years ago. GVV is almost a defnite. Im just learning Cultural context in case though.

Vision and viewpoint has never come up with theme or issue , it has always been cultural context or the other one that's not on our course so im feeling pretty good about cultural context

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭jellytots95

sammydev wrote: »
    Vision and viewpoint has never come up with theme or issue , it has always been cultural context or the other one that's not on our course so im feeling pretty good about cultural context

And cultural context isn't on next year is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

And cultural context isn't on next year is it?

Nopeee, if you havnt learned CC yet just flick over it tonight or tomorrow so youll have something to write !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Really? Suits me, I know Cultural context wayyy better haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

How many headings should I write and compare for cultural context? I have:

Role of woman
    Society
    War
    Religion
    Social class
    What exactly are they asking us for this question? Just how the culture of the two or three texts differ and compare?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

LoveLamps wrote: »
    "Yeats' creative use of language and imagery highlights the profiund ideas expressed in his poetry"

What??? What creative use of language does he have?? And creatvive use of imagery? Gaahhh HELP PLEASE GOD

That's a weird one alright. The reason why I'd love if Yeats came up is because they can't really ask a style question given the poems on our course! That said, I'd say his language would be grand to talk about. Talk about the alliteration and imagery in lake isles and the contrast between it and busy grey pavements. Colour grey representing dullness and how hes discontent with life there as opposed to his imaginary world. Plenty of imagery in that poem too! Pretty much the exact same can be applied to sailing to byzantium. Discusses live energetic world and then describes an imaginary world where everything is drowsy but everlasting. Also plenty of similes and symbolisms. There is a lot of imagery in it tbf, read over it.

As for the other poems well his language in Irish airman is weird since he is speaking in behalf of someone else and is completely detached from emotion. Not much imagery though. September 1913 and Easter 1916 are similar then in that he adopts an angry and argumentative tone in 1913 and the language is even sarcastic sometimes. Then in 1916 he is more patriotic and uses non-judmental language. The repetion in both of those poems 'romantic Ireland' and 'alls changed' is important. The language and symbolisms he uses to criticise the Irish in 1913 is also important... "Prayer to shivering prayer until you've dried the marrow from the bone etc."... In 1916 the symbolism and imagery of the stone is also very important. It can be answered but you need to delve deep I'd say. Then again.. Did the question ask to what extent do you agree with this statement? Because you can disagree to an extent. I would disagree with the imagery part for a lot of his poems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Here lads, how many quotes are yous learning for Macbeth. I have about 30 for the character of Macbeth and probably 20'ish for Lady Macbeth, and maybe 15 for Banquo and Macduff each. What's the status on your quotes? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭2thousand14

Aspiring wrote: »
    Here lads, how many quotes are yous learning for Macbeth. I have about 30 for the character of Macbeth and probably 20'ish for Lady Macbeth, and maybe 15 for Banquo and Macduff each. What's the status on your quotes? :)

5 for macbeth
    4 for lady macbeth
    2 each for macduff and banquo :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭Saskatchewan

If Larkin comes up tomorrow, I am starting my answer with the first paragraph of "this be the verse" :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

In my head, 4. On the sheet, about 30 general quotes that apply to several themes. Leaving out Banquo and Macduff, focusing on MacB and Lady with themes of Kingship and AvR

5 for macbeth
    4 for lady macbeth
    2 each for macduff and banquo :confused:

5 for Macbeth? Are you looking at Scene 5 alone or something?

Ah I'm only messing. I'm probably taking way too many quotes. I'll probably only end up using 2 or 3 each paragraph, it's just to be safe.

EDIT: Please nobody panic reading my post thinking do you need this many quotes,

My teacher obviously told us a few fibs and had us learn way too many quotes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ManCityMan21

All the more reason to put it with it tomorrow, with the poets being rather predictable this year they may try to trick us in other areas.

5 for Macbeth? Are you looking at Scene 5 alone or something?

Ah I'm only messing. I'm probably taking way too many quotes. I'll probably only end up using 2 or 3 each paragraph, it's just to be safe.

I have 5 for macbeth, 5 for LM, 5 for banquo and 5 general quotes. If you use more than 3 quotes per paragraph you will end up sounding like a broken record or your paragraphs will be giant

Badwulf wrote: »
    How many headings should I write and compare for cultural context? I have:

Role of woman
    Society
    War
    Religion
    Social class
    What exactly are they asking us for this question? Just how the culture of the two or three texts differ and compare?

What do you write about under social class? How long would each of those be?

I have 5 for macbeth, 5 for LM, 5 for banquo and 5 general quotes. If you use more than 3 quotes per paragraph you will end up sounding like a broken record or your paragraphs will be giant

Yeah I know what you mean, that's what I said above I usually only do 3 or so per paragraph. I only have so many quotes because we had quote tests throughout fifth year and they just stuck.

What do you write about under social class? How long would each of those be?

I would compare the different social classes such as the rich and poor and how they affect the text, how one would dominate over the other, not too sure how much I would write but do they sound ok? also whats the best way to get LOADS O MARKS in both the CC and GVAV

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

50452229.jpg

I would compare the different social classes such as the rich and poor and how they affect the text, how one would dominate over the other, not too sure how much I would write but do they sound ok? also whats the best way to get LOADS O MARKS in both the CC and GVAV

I have never done GVAV, I'm hoping Theme/Issue appears. For CC I'm doing four with Role of Men, Role of Women, Role of Money and Role of Social Class. Yours sound good though too. Just keep comparing the texts that's what my grind said. What you reckon for poetry and Macbeth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

31 for Lady Macbeth, 88 for Macbeth, 16 for Macduff...

How the fúck did I manage so many? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

Guys I'm being annoying and asking what points you would make for deception? Think of it as revision ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    50452229.jpg

I have wednesday off.

Literally not opening art history until then :pac:

Besides if Dali or surrealism isn't on the european section I'm gonna eat the exam papers and walk out. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight anyways for fear of not one of my three poets coming up. Scared witless and haven't enough time to learn two more.

Hotale.com wrote: »
    31 for Lady Macbeth, 88 for Macbeth, 16 for Macduff...

How the fúck did I manage so many? :confused:

88? That's the whole play :pac:

If you wrote out all of those quotes it would be 135 quotes. If that's an average of a quote the length of a line that's about 4 and a half pages :D

88? That's the whole play :pac:

If you wrote out all of those quotes it would be 135 quotes. If that's an average of a quote the length of a line that's about 4 and a half pages :D

Some of them are only two or three words though, like "fatal vision" or "bloody execution" :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

Why is everyone obsessed with quotes? You could have 100's learnt off and answer the question badly.

Knowing 10 well and and being able to discuss them is way better than a vague 100.

CHILL PEOPLE CHILL ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

oncex wrote: »
    Guys I'm being annoying and asking what points you would make for deception? Think of it as revision ;)

Few off the top of my head would be:
    The irony that King Duncan recognises deception in the former thane of Cawdor only to be deceived my Macbeth
    Lady Macbeths use of deception, framing the chamberlains, distracting attention away from Macbeth after the murder by fainting and asking everyone to leave because of Macbeths 'fit' at the banquet
    Macbeths acknowledgement that he needs to adopt an innocent appearance if he is to avoid suspicion

Also could work in the witches deception and equivocal nature and the way that reality essentially deceives Macbeth and Lady Macbeth when they hallucinate and have nightmares

Hotale.com wrote: »
    Some of them are only two or three words though, like "fatal vision" or "bloody execution" :P

Ahhhhh right I see. The thing about quotes is, the more you have, the more things you can bring into your answer if you need to. It means you aren't limited by not being able to answer a question properly because you don't have a quote to back it up. Obviously nobody is going to go into an exam and write out 100 quotes :D

Ahhhhh right I see. The thing about quotes is, the more you have, the more things you can bring into your answer if you need to. It means you aren't limited by not being able to answer a question properly because you don't have a quote to back it up. Obviously nobody is going to go into an exam and write out 100 quotes :D

underestimate_power_star_wars.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭LoveLamps

How do you learn quotes? Write them out?
    I know a few for everything, gonna get up about 9 tomorrow and just write out quotes til about 1 i think

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement