Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2014 OT v2.0 - Official Bitch & Moan thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

Wait lads, how many quotes do ye use in a paragraph in Macbeth? I'd usually do 3-5, so about a quarter of my essay would be raw quotation.

I'm kinda worried I'm using too much now, is anyone else? :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Hotale.com wrote: »
    Being next to Cork is their greatest achievement.
    Pfft, Cork is more like the grotty back yard that your mother warns you to keep the door shut on when visitors are expected! :p

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

That's worse! :p

You have no idea how many Kerry people are even more allergic to the Healy-Rae's than the rest of the country!

The reason they keep getting in is because they at least realise the county exists; as far as most political parties seem to be concerned it's "somewhere in the south-west and they play football!" :rolleyes:

We'd pay a lot more attention to the South if Cork wasn't there :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    We'd pay a lot more attention to the South if Cork wasn't there :pac:

That's because the rest of the country doesn't like being reminded of its inferiority to us ;)

/hides laughing fit behind hand

>_>
    Wait lads, how many quotes do ye use in a paragraph in Macbeth? I'd usually do 3-5, so about a quarter of my essay would be raw quotation.

I'm kinda worried I'm using too much now, is anyone else? :o
    The important thing is that quotes back up your argument, rather than your text simply vaguely linking a whole lot of quotes.

If you have the balance right, you're fine, and your quotes will clock you up the extra marks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

I know this sounds crazy but I actually miss the banter and excitement of the LC and the craic we had last year on this forum. Wouldn't mind being back there at all, seriously. Cherish these days, children.

The important thing is that quotes back up your argument, rather than your text simply vaguely linking a whole lot of quotes.

If you have the balance right, you're fine, and your quotes will clock you up the extra marks.

Ah yeah I'd be like:

Duncan is a bad judge of situation and character, believing “This castle hath a pleasant seat, the air nimbly and sweetly recommends itself to the senses", whereas in reality his “fair and noble hostess" is plotting his murder, stating ominously “That croaks the fatal enterance of Duncan under my battlements". Assassination awaits yet this “most sainted king" is completely oblivious.

How is that? Like it's mostly quotes, and I don't explain them at all. I basically use them to replace sentences :o

I know this sounds crazy but I actually miss the banter and excitement of the LC and the craic we had last year on this forum. Wouldn't mind being back there at all, seriously. Cherish these days, children.

Head down to Cork on Friday and you can do my geography exam for me? ;) You can be a leaving cert for a whole three hours again :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Ah yeah I'd be like:

Duncan is a bad judge, believing “This castle hath a pleasant seat, the air nimbly and sweetly recommends itself to the senses", whereas in reality his “ fair and noble hostess" states “That croaks the fatal enterance of Duncan under my battlements". Assassination awaits yet this “most sainted king" is completely oblivious.

How is that? Like it's mostly quotes, and I don't explain them at all. I basically use them to replace sentences :o

You really dont need that many. If I were you Id use the sweet air quote and fatal croak thingy and leave the other two out

Ah yeah I'd be like:

Duncan is a bad judge of situation and character, believing “This castle hath a pleasant seat, the air nimbly and sweetly recommends itself to the senses", whereas in reality his “ fair and noble hostess" is plotting is murder, stating ominously “That croaks the fatal enterance of Duncan under my battlements". Assassination awaits yet this “most sainted king" is completely oblivious.

I think you should use a bit more of your own words, even if you are just rephrasing quotes. But don't take my word for it, see what Macbitch or Randall has to say :p

Is that 'most sainted king' part Malcolm's Macduff's description of Duncan in Act IV?

• Advertisement

I think you should use a bit more of your own words, even if you are just rephrasing quotes. But don't take my word for it, see what Macbitch or Randall has to say :p

Is that 'most sainted king' part Malcolm's Macduff's description of Duncan in Act IV?

Macduff indeed! “These evils thou repeat'st upon thyself hath banished me from Scotland"

You're far too good to be only aiming for a C Nimrod! :)

I love that nickname :D

If I was doing that I'd use less quotes and try to actually use my own words to get my point across. That kind of just looked like someone had learned off a load of quotes and didn't know what to do with them so just threw them in with the hope of gaining a few marks.

You actually are in fairness :p

Macduff indeed! “These evils thou repeat'st upon thyself hath banished me from Scotland"

I'm aiming for a B1 in Macbeth and B3 in poetry and Paper I Section I.

C2 and C3s for everything else..hopefully it'll even out at around C2 or C1 :D

And thank you :)
    I love that nickname :D

You should change your username to it :p

Not sure if it the filter will let you though.

You should change your username to it :p

Not sure if it the filter will let you though.

I can't because I'm not a subscriber, remember? :p

I can't because I'm not a subscriber, remember? :p

It's only a fiver. I'm changing mine after the LC, any suggestions?

It's only a fiver. I'm changing mine after the LC, any suggestions?

Hotmale.com ;)

We'll be like two very shítilly named brothers, and people will stop associating me with homosexual tendencies :rolleyes:

Erm..

That can be Plan Y and Z :p

Erm..

That can be Plan Y and Z.

How about frenulum? It would annoy everyone on AH, especially Banjo String :)

Ah yeah I'd be like:

Duncan is a bad judge of situation and character, believing “This castle hath a pleasant seat, the air nimbly and sweetly recommends itself to the senses", whereas in reality his “fair and noble hostess" is plotting his murder, stating ominously “That croaks the fatal enterance of Duncan under my battlements". Assassination awaits yet this “most sainted king" is completely oblivious.

A tad OTT perhaps, but you're integrating your quotes well and making clear points.

You often get people who give you a full paragraph of a point and then pretty much go "oh, btw, before I forget, here's a relevant quote: ......." at the end; I would find your approach much preferable.

I might aim to move the balance a little towards more of your own words (and I know you just threw that out as an imaginary example anyway, so it's probably a bit more extreme than you might normally write), but I don't think you have anything to worry about really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

In all else, use real spelling, not American. (Sorry, Hugsie! :pac:)

Bring it bítch!

Not real spelling......pfft

Pronounce the u in odour

or the u in colour

American English is based of phonetics

>.>
    <.<
    >.>

HugsiePie wrote: »
    Bring it bítch!

Pronounce the u in odour

or the u in colour

>.>
    <.<
    >.>

Americans tend to like making things simple

Hugsie, even I was taught real spelling where I grew up :p

Actually, now that I think about it, I think I got the stick once for using American spelling :D

Americans tend to like making things simple

Cant argue with logic :P

• Registered Users Posts: 34 TaiHusky

So, I have not done macbeth at all. Hated it so much and no only the most basic few quotes like "unsex me here", "milk of human kindness" "dagger I see", "boil boil" and a few more very basic ones. Like, what should I try focusing on in the morning?

TaiHusky wrote: »
    So, I have not done macbeth at all. Hated it so much and no only the most basic few quotes like "unsex me here", "milk of human kindness" "dagger I see", "boil boil" and a few more very basic ones. Like, what should I try focusing on in the morning?

i THINK LOOK OVER EXAM ANSWERS AND THE KEY POINTS....QUOTES ARE ONLY USED AS A REFERENCE IN YOUR ANSWER (sorry for the caplocks), youre not being examined on your knowledge, youre being examined on your understanding

Bring it bítch!

Pronounce the u in odour

or the u in colour

Pronounce the u in bough ... do Americans spell it bow? :p

Do they spell "cough" as "coff"?

"Phonetic" American English is a myth, it's applied haphazardly to a minority of cases, so it's not even consistent in that.

And here's the thing ... "American English".

It's in the name.

The language is English, even the name "American English" implies that it's simply a variant, a dialect, of the actual language. ;)

Hugsie, even I was taught real spelling where I grew up :p

Actually, now that I think about it, I think I got the stick once for using American spelling :D

I pronounce aluminimum the american way and ocasionally oregano too

I never heard of it until 5 years ago :/

I pronounce aluminimum the american way and ocasionally oregano too

I never heard of it until 5 years ago :/

What the fuck is aluminimum? :D

I always pronounced it with the -ium, I only heard the -um version a few years ago. I presume the -um is American?

• Advertisement

Pronounce the u in bough ... do Americans spell it bow? :p

Do they spell "cough" as "coff"?

"Phonetic" American English is a myth, it's applied haphazardly to a minority of cases, so it's not even consistent in that.

And here's the thing ... "American English".

It's in the name.

The language is English, even the name "American English" implies that it's simply a variant, a dialect, of the actual language. ;)

I have genuinely never heard of this word until now :P

Well theres a setting for Irish English on MS Word so ehhhh

Take that!

:P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement