Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2014 OT v2.0 - Official Bitch & Moan thread

Comments

Pronounce the u in bough ... do Americans spell it bow? :p

Do they spell "cough" as "coff"?

Eh no, they spell it boff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    What the fuck is aluminimum? :D

I always pronounced it with the -ium, I only heard the -um version a few years ago. I presume the -um is American?

Theres 2 different spellings for it, presuminf ones American and ones the rest of the world

Hence the different way of pronouncing it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Don't American's pronounce that word "a-lum-in-um", rather than "aluminimum" btw? :confused:
    Eh no, they spell it boff.
    Well, the boffs on the trees are looking quite colorful just now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

Don't American's pronounce that word "a-lum-in-um", rather than "aluminimum" btw? :confused:

Well, the boffs on the trees are looking quite colorful just now!

he spelling aluminium is the international standard in the sciences according to the IUPAC recommendations. Humphry Davy, the element's discoverer, first proposed the name alumium, and then later aluminum. The name aluminium was finally adopted to conform with the -ium ending of metallic elements. Canada uses aluminum and Australia and New Zealand aluminium, according to their respective dictionaries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_and_British_English_spelling_differences

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

HugsiePie wrote: »
    he spelling aluminium is the international standard in the sciences according to the IUPAC recommendations. Humphry Davy, the element's discoverer, first proposed the name alumium, and then later aluminum. The name aluminium was finally adopted to conform with the -ium ending of metallic elements. Canada uses aluminum and Australia and New Zealand aluminium, according to their respective dictionaries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_and_British_English_spelling_differences
    Yeah, but no-one calls it "aluminimum". :p:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

This reminds me of the time my second class teacher made fun of me for asking whether colour was spelled "colour" or "color".

Yeah beotch, knew there was ambiguity.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

How do you study in the morning? Seriously. It's cold and I keep nodding off :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

I don't know tbh I'm struggling myself :o

Just having a quick look over Dickinson, LM and GVV and I'll leave it at that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Go outside for a bit and drink a strong coffee :)

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭2thousand14

off to do engineering, best of luck everyone today!

• Advertisement

Aspiring wrote: »
    Go outside for a bit and drink a strong coffee :)

I love coffee.

But it does nothing to me. I had a cup of coffee at 2am and slept like a baby.
    I don't know tbh I'm struggling myself :o

Just having a quick look over Dickinson, LM and GVV and I'll leave it at that...

I'm trying to do my 'Just in case Heaney comes up' work..

I love coffee.

But it does nothing to me. I had a cup of coffee at 2am and slept like a baby.

Dafuq is wrong with you :P

I have like 6 cups a day but if I drink after 4pm I won't sleep that night!

Best of luck! :)

Dafuq is wrong with you :P

I have like 6 cups a day but if I drink after 4pm I won't sleep that night!

:o

Lots of things :p

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 courtney95

If Dickinson doesn't come up I'll have a mental breakdown. She's the only one I know 😳

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Isitthough?

courtney95 wrote: »
    If Dickinson doesn't come up I'll have a mental breakdown. She's the only one I know 😳

study another now even just quotes I dont want you not answering that poetry question if she doesnt come up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Poliana.xo

I'm so worried about Macbeth.. But surely if I know the characters and the play itself I'll manage to wing something :rolleyes: The witches better not come up though....

Think I'll just go in with 4 poets. Heaney isn't looking to attractive to learn.

I think going in with 4 poets is fine this year, I mean they're not gonna put all 3 from last year? Even if they pick two (say Mahon and Bishop), and another poet you didn't study, one of your 4 still has to come up :P

• Registered Users Posts: 42 courtney95

study another now even just quotes I dont want you not answering that poetry question if she doesnt come up

I'm going over Plath now and if I have time I'll run over Bishop.. I hate English I can't wait to get it over with

• Registered Users Posts: 40 sammydev

Poliana.xo wrote: »
    I'm so worried about Macbeth.. But surely if I know the characters and the play itself I'll manage to wing something :rolleyes: The witches better not come up though....

I'd say if the witches are coming it'll be in the theme of supernatural :)

• Advertisement

courtney95 wrote: »
    I'm going over Plath now and if I have time I'll run over Bishop.. I hate English I can't wait to get it over with

do bishop 1st shes more likely this year..Not on course next year Plath is

I'm telling you all Plath is going to show up today to command her respect.

#Plathgate2014

It's happening ;)

#Plathgate2014

It's happening ;)

But then she defiantly wont be up next year so 2015 will only have 7 poets to do

#Plathgate2014

It's happening ;)

I wish :(

If I had more time, I would have took the chance and studied her but at this late stage, I'm only going over Dickinson, Heaney and Larkin.

But then she defiantly wont be up next year so 2015 will only have 7 poets to do

There's no rule to say a poet can't come up twice though, the SEC do what they want ;)

But Plath wouldn't come up in 2013, 2014 and 2015. She's already quite popular, I knew about her while doing my JC after the plathgate in 2012. It has to be Dickinson/Bishop, and please please please let it be Dickinson :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Keeks96

I don't think I've ever felt so nervous.. Heaney or Larkin need to be there or I may cry

Preference:
    1. Dickinson
    2. Yeats
    3. Bishop
    4. Yeats
    5. Heaney

Poliana.xo wrote: »
    But Plath wouldn't come up in 2013, 2014 and 2015. She's already quite popular, I knew about her while doing my JC after the plathgate in 2012. It has to be Dickinson/Bishop, and please please please let it be Dickinson :(

yeah thats what I would say..Bishop or Dickinson hoping Dickinson But bishop could be likely too. Maybe both :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

Preference:
    1. Dickinson
    2. Yeats
    3. Bishop
    4. Yeats
    5. Heaney

Was that intentional or?...:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement