Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2014 OT v2.0 - Official Bitch & Moan thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

Lara_15 wrote: »
    Compromise... decided to watch macbeth and jot down a few notes, any things i should be looking out for... kingship, lady macbeth, anything else?

Banquo, appearance vs. reality and the Weird Sisters :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭RedSeven7

Anyone doing physics?? Just looking for opinions on exam technique; in the mock I had quite a lot of extra time (hadn't studied to the best of my ability so maybe lack of knowledge was the reason for this. I got 73%)

Anyway, I was thinking of doing all four experiments, would anyone recommend this? Also, I was thinking of doing all four parts of Q12

I just really want to maximise my marks, as it can be easy to lose marks in Section A.

Starting to panic now. Made a giant timetable/calendar thing. So scary D:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

RedSeven7 wrote: »
    Anyone doing physics?? Just looking for opinions on exam technique; in the mock I had quite a lot of extra time (hadn't studied to the best of my ability so maybe lack of knowledge was the reason for this. I got 73%)

Anyway, I was thinking of doing all four experiments, would anyone recommend this? Also, I was thinking of doing all four parts of Q12

I just really want to maximise my marks, as it can be easy to lose marks in Section A.

Starting to panic now. Made a giant timetable/calendar thing. So scary D:

I did 3 experiments q's then used the rest of my time for section B. So I got an extra question done. I suppose doing a fourth experiment question couldn't hurt either but usually your experiments would be the things you know best so you'd only need 3 to nail the full marks/close to it. What section B q's do you do? I just noticed today that pretty much every question is answerable on the paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lara_15

I had the same problem, I ended up doing an extra long question and it boosted my marks quite a bit.
    I would say to do the normal 3 experiments and 5 long Qs first anyways and see how you are for time and judge it on that, and I would choose the questions on the day rather than now, pick the ones that you know most of. Also double check all calculations on the calculator and check on units.

General exam tips:
    Know your experiments well
    Know your option well (guaranteed question)
    Do question 5 and 12 as they are easiest for marks
    Heat experiments havent come up in a good while... so look at them

Anyone actually studying the option in chemistry? So much effort for half a question!

• Advertisement

Aspiring wrote: »
    I did 3 experiments q's then used the rest of my time for section B. So I got an extra question done. I suppose doing a fourth experiment question couldn't hurt either but usually your experiments would be the things you know best so you'd only need 3 to nail the full marks/close to it. What section B q's do you do? I just noticed today that pretty much every question is answerable on the paper.

Thank you! Yeah, maybe an extra long question would be more beneficial... they are work more marks after all. I plan on answering:
    -Q5 short qs
    -Q6 mechanics
    -Q10 option (particle physics)
    Q12 the q with four options do two, I think I'll do all four
    -hopefully modern physics, if not that, electrostatics or current electricity/magnetism or maybe heat idk
    I had the same problem, I ended up doing an extra long question and it boosted my marks quite a bit.
    I would say to do the normal 3 experiments and 5 long Qs first anyways and see how you are for time and judge it on that, and I would choose the questions on the day rather than now, pick the ones that you know most of. Also double check all calculations on the calculator and check on units.

General exam tips:

Thanks! :) Yes I really hope a heat experiment comes up!!

Okay so I think my plan is to attempt all of the options within Q12 then if I'm okay for time do an extra long question, then if I'm reeally okay for time do a fourth experiment question

I'd love the A1 but anything could happen!
    Hotale.com wrote: »
    Anyone actually studying the option in chemistry? So much effort for half a question!

Nope! :D Avoiding it at all costs!
    Like you said it's only half a question (so you can either not choose that Q or do the other two options!) and it's also the last question in Q4 which is completely avoidable :p

In my opinion, it's a waste of time when you could be studying important areas like organic and atomic theory :)

Nope! :D Avoiding it at all costs!
    Like you said it's only half a question (so you can either not choose that Q or do the other two options!) and it's also the last question in Q4 which is completely avoidable :p

In my opinion, it's a waste of time when you could be studying important areas like organic and atomic theory :)

What option are you doing?

We're doing feedstock and environment and all that sh*t, can't even remember the name :pac:

What option are you doing?

We're doing feedstock and environment and all that sh*t, can't even remember the name :pac:

Well that doesn't sound familiar to me, so we must be doing the other one :pac:
    It involves electricity and crystals!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

We didnt do the do option in chemistry or physics. I did the physics one myself. Its a full question though and very easy and short

Days 298 wrote: »
    We didnt do the do option in chemistry or physics. I did the physics one myself. Its a full question though and very easy and short

I understand not doing it for chemistry, but physics? :O
    You made a good decision covering the physics option yourself! :) I agree, it's a lovely question, did you do particle physics??

• Advertisement

Yeah that's the other one!

Ours is like a geography question, there's like 2 case studies that never seem to come up :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

Run that one by me again? :confused:

Sorry Im finding it hard to phrase :pac:

Basically
    Im not eligible for any SUSI grants because of my family's income
    If I dont sign up to SUSI and apply for a grant,
    will there be any repercussions?
    Like is it something I should do regardless?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

Probably depends on the course, what's the course you want?

Dedication :rolleyes:

Aiming for mechanical engineering in GMIT level 7 and the same course in DIT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Exo

aleatorio wrote: »

Basically

If you're not eligible for the SUSI grant, you will have to pay the student contribution (€2500-3000/year, figures vary). Their logic is, that, if your parents don't fall under the income threshold - they are able to pay the student contribution.

Every EU/EEA citizen has free fees up until their undergraduate degree, but the contribution isn't inclusive.

Anyone have an success stories which will help me ease my stress? Like know of anyone last year in LC who only started study in the last couple weeks and still got decent amount of points?

Exo wrote: »
    If you're not eligible for the SUSI grant, you will have to pay the student contribution (€2500-3000/year, figures vary). Their logic is, that, if your parents don't fall under the income threshold - they are able to pay the student contribution.

Every EU/EEA citizen has free fees up until their undergraduate degree, but the contribution isn't inclusive.

Ok thats fine, was just making sure nothing weird was going to happen if I didnt apply to SUSI :o
    I was anticipating having to pay the student contribution so that's fine :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

Oh wow, you must be the only school that does that! It seems fairly interesting though :pac:

General exam tips:

Can I just say - after you have done your 3 experiments and 5 long questions, check everything. Spend 10-15 minutes doing so. Then do another long question, maybe another part of Q12 or the last experiment.

Check everything again, and only then do more.

The same goes for Chemistry, that's what I did in both Pres and it worked well :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Basically
    If you know you haven't a hope of getting any form of grant, don't apply; you're only bunging up the system and slowing down the processing of other applications.

As Exo said, you will be liable for the Student Contribution Fee, and for paying your own way otherwise (accommodation, etc., etc.). That will be exactly the same if you apply and get turned down, which you seem sure you will be, except you will have given someone unnecessary work.

What other repercussions could there be? :confused:

(I'm still half convinced that I'm missing the point of this question tbh! :o)

Badwulf wrote: »
    Aiming for mechanical engineering in GMIT level 7 and the same course in DIT

Yeah it's English or Irish for both :)

Yeah it's English or Irish for both :)

So if I fail irish but still pass english, maths and get the points I get in?

• Advertisement

So if I fail irish but still pass english, maths and get the points I get in?

Yes, still try to pass both though :P

Yes, still try to pass both though :P

Well the problem is I was supposed to be exempt from Irish since the start of secondary school due to the fact I only came to ireland at age 10, but because I live in an inbred location full of ass hats who like to think they know everything, the princeapal wouldn't let me apply for one, even though the Irish teacher and guidance councealor strongly recommended it, so I think I'll just fail it.

Damn you to hell Barry, Damn you to hell.

If you know you haven't a hope of getting any form of grant, don't apply; you're only bunging up the system and slowing down the processing of other applications.

As Exo said, you will be liable for the Student Contribution Fee, and for paying your own way otherwise (accommodation, etc., etc.). That will be exactly the same if you apply and get turned down, which you seem sure you will be, except you will have given someone unnecessary work.

What other repercussions could there be? :confused:

(I'm still half convinced that I'm missing the point of this question tbh! :o)

No I just wasnt sure if Id have to pay the full uni fees or some crazy thing like that or something :pac::pac: Just making extra-sure even though it seemed ridiculous :pac:

No I just wasnt sure if Id have to pay the full uni fees or some crazy thing like that or something :pac::pac: Just making extra-sure even though it seemed ridiculous :pac:

Full fees? I thought the fee was 3000-ish regardless if you get the grant or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

I actually done 3 hours of studying today in school....I am proud of myself. Same again for 2 weeks!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Can somebody please link me to the full PDF with all of the mandatory physics experiments. There used to be one on some slss website or something along those lines but it appears to be down/gone. Thanks

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Full fees? I thought the fee was 3000-ish regardless if you get the grant or not?

That's still excluding the tuition fees.

Non EEA students have to pay the full fees for undergrad incluing tuition fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭LoveLamps

Anyone have an success stories which will help me ease my stress? Like know of anyone last year in LC who only started study in the last couple weeks and still got decent amount of points?

My neighbour got 210 in the mocks and 475 in the real thing and is currently doing a phd in trinity.. Theres hope for us all!
    According to his sister his whole family thought he would fail the LC cos he didnt seem to be doing much study..

Take from that what you will

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    That's still excluding the tuition fees.

So who has to pay that? Everyone who doesn't get a grant?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lara_15

So who has to pay that? Everyone who doesn't get a grant?

All students in the EU are exempt from full fees... but international students who are coming from outside the EU have to pay them.
    Irish and EU students just have to pay the contribution so dont worry

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement