Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2014 OT v2.0 - Official Bitch & Moan thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Lara_15 wrote: »
    I totally agree, they completely reformed the maths course because of the stress and controversy surrounding it, and theres just as much, if not more around english P2... It needs a serious reform the stress I felt building up to that exam was ridiculous, and the breakdowns it caused me through the years were aweful.

Project English

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Poliana.xo

Everyone in boards seems so eloquent, and im here like " shure be grand" and other stereotypical farmer slang...

Well this is what my mam sent me this morning before geography :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

I totally agree, they completely reformed the maths course because of the stress and controversy surrounding it, and theres just as much, if not more around english P2... It needs a serious reform the stress I felt building up to that exam was ridiculous, and the breakdowns it caused me through the years were aweful.

The only issue I have with English is the comparative. It is so badly taught and very few people seem to know how to do it, even teachers.

If they took that out and expected a higher level of response in the poetry and Macbeth questions I think it work way better. Or if they just had some clear way of showing us how to do the comparative.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

Everyone in boards seems so eloquent, and im here like " shure be grand" and other stereotypical farmer slang...

have you notmet Dan yet
    :p

or randy :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Striving470

Hotale.com wrote: »
    The only issue I have with English is the comparative. It is so badly taught and very few people seem to know how to do it, even teachers.

If they took that out and expected a higher level of response in the poetry and Macbeth questions I think it work way better. Or if they just had some clear way of showing us how to do the comparative.....

In general...the leaving should be focused on how to prepare you for life...as cheesy as it sounds...there is no point in learning business theory with no idea of how to put it into practice....

• Advertisement

HugsiePie wrote: »
    have you notmet Dan yet

Or you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

Or you.

-_-

You dont know me

You dont know my story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

If points for courses fluctuated as much as my expected points in August there would be chaos *sigh* Hope I am not alone

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lara_15

I Have a problem with all of it! But I'm just biased because I hate English.
    Totally agree about the comparative, our teacher chose 3 awkward texts and taught them awefully, I would be lucky to pass the comparative question in that exam!
    I have a huuuuugeee problem with the time pressure, and it can cause a student who is ery deserving of an A1, and has been at A1 standard for 2 years to bet a low B/ high C
    And then theres the poets, I think there should be 6 not 8, and that the questions should be broader and more personal, letting the student pick a poet or two who genuinely interests them and write why... and the unseen poem is pointless and annoying.
    I enjoyed macbeth but we didnt spend enough time on it to go reallly in depth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭Saskatchewan

Poliana.xo wrote: »
    Well this is what my mam sent me this morning before geography :pac:

that is my life. Thank you.

• Advertisement

-_-

You dont know me

You dont know my story

Don't tell me it would bore me.

#igotdemrhymes

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

Badwulf wrote: »
    So for higher level english for macbeth I wrote about LM and M's power struggle for becoming royality and how at first she had most power in her realationship but then the tables turned then i wrote about M's and the people of scotland as a wholes (scotland, macduff banquo and malcolm) as they struggle for the power of the future and fate of scotland and how it was a typical battle off good versus eveil and how it effected the play

then for comparative I picked GVAV, 70 marker and compared the opening scenes, the middle scenes, then the ending scenes of my three texts and how they impacted me and made me feel and how they helped me understand the levels of optimisim and pessism that the director/reader was trying to get across

poetry I done Dicky,wrote about a bunch of her poems, how the various imagery and use of language would affect the reader, her intresting metaphores and symbolism and how a reader may react to them

does all this shizz sound ok? im really tired so please forgive me for spelling and grammar mistakes would be hoping to get a b or c

Please somone tell me how I did, I don't know why but its been worrying me lately :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

And then theres the poets, I think there should be 6 not 8, and that the questions should be broader and more personal, letting the student pick a poet or two who genuinely interests them and write why... and the unseen poem is pointless and annoying
    That would be fine if people hadn't tried to undermine the system by learning off everything and just vomiting it up on the day of the exam.

Of course, this simply is the result of a system where every student in the country is effectively competing with one another for a college place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭Saskatchewan

have you notmet Dan yet

Haha, a good ol' culchie chat needs to had once I finish this LC. It is clashing with silage so its kind of a disaster. :(

Please somone tell me how I did, I don't know why but its been worrying me lately :/

It all sounds good in fairness, especially if you backed up everything you wrote.

Stop worrying, you can't change it now. Remember that you're being graded against all the other 18/19 year olds in the country, most of which are complete eejits. :)

Well I hate english so Im not much help, but it sounds good to me
    I did LM and Duncan for the macbeth question, and had the same kind of approach to the comparative (although I didnt feel like I answered the question) I did opening sequence, closing sequence and one key moment in the middle
    I did dicky too, but focused too much on her themes and not enough on her language

robman60 wrote: »
    That would be fine if people hadn't tried to undermine the system by learning off everything and just vomiting it up on the day of the exam.

Of course, this simply is the result of a system where every student in the country is effectively competing with one another for a college place.

But I personally find it impossible to stop and think for more than a minute. Most people that I know have learned off essays say that if they didn't and had to plan it on the day, they wouldn't get through half of the exam.

The timing is my biggest issue tbh :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 101 ✭✭Katie1289

wallace2 wrote: »
    I forgot to write my calculotor make on my exam is this really bad!?

actually for all they know you didn't use calculators in the exam. :)

Katie1289 wrote: »
    I knew it went too well. For f*** sake like. :( I hope for our sakes it doesn't matter
    :-|

Were your class told to get all the same calculator?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 101 ✭✭Katie1289

Were your class told to get all the same calculator?

Yes we were. I just read the guidelines on calculators in the handbook yoke and it says
    (h) Candidates must indication their answer books the make and model of any calculator(s) used in the examination.

That kinda seems to me that they may just presume that you did it in your head. Be grand :P

• Advertisement

Katie1289 wrote: »
    Yes we were. I just read the guidelines on calculators in the handbook yoke and it says
    (h) Candidates must indication their answer books the make and model of any calculator(s) used in the examination.

That kinda seems to me that they may just presume that you did it in your head. Be grand :P

They'll just presume you used the same calculator as everyone in your class. Out of any class of 30 one person will almost definitely skip the page and not write their calculator make down.

Be graaaaaand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Nothing beats the Sharp EL-W531.

Casios are worthless ;)

Poliana.xo wrote: »
    But I personally find it impossible to stop and think for more than a minute. Most people that I know have learned off essays say that if they didn't and had to plan it on the day, they wouldn't get through half of the exam.

The timing is my biggest issue tbh :P

At the end of the day...the leaving cert is flawed.I know it,you know it,everyone knows it...the minister of education just has to get his head out of arse and prove why he deverses the pension he has waiting for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭wallace2

They'll just presume you used the same calculator as everyone in your class. Out of any class of 30 one person will almost definitely skip the page and not write their calculator make down.

Be graaaaaand.

God I hope so! Will the same examiner get my paper 2? If I write it on that will that help? Haha

At the end of the day...the leaving cert is flawed.I know it,you know it,everyone knows it...the minister of education just has to get his head out of arse and prove the pension he has waiting for him.

Every system has its flaws, I actually think the leaving cert does what it's supposed to do quite well.

England's system is a joke compared to ours, they do like 3 subjects....

wallace2 wrote: »
    God I hope so! Will the same examiner get my paper 2? If I write it on that will that help? Haha

Just forget about it :pac:

Every system has its flaws, I actually think the leaving cert does what it's supposed to do quite well.

Yes,it works well for a proportion who are motivated to get a profession as a result of it...not the other half.

Why would they even care what calculator you used? Correcting 100s of scripts I would hardly even glance at that page..

Yep, and nothings compulsory.... although I think the 3 subject thing is a bit of a joke, I like the idea of not having to do anything I dont want to

• Advertisement

Aspiring wrote: »
    Nothing beats the Sharp EL-W531.

Casios are worthless ;)

Please, Casio fx-83GT PLUS all the way. :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement