Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2014 OT v2.0 - Official Bitch & Moan thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Bobking wrote: »
    Hey guys.
    I got 530 or something in leaving cert.
    Did computers degree for 340ish points
    Never worked in computers industry
    10 years later learning woodworking skills that I couldn't do in school because I was on a language track. Die basturden.
    Have my own workshop where I spend my time.

What do you want to do
    And why are you doing it

If point scoring is the answer then why do you want the points.
    Where are you going?

If you really want to get there then you won't need someone to tell you you've done well because your standard for yourself is already higher than theirs.

If your mother or father is locking you up with your books then Why do they want better for you than you want for yourself.

You have to want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe or you'll just sit in the locked room on the internet looking for something better than you to believe in. You'll follow someone else's dream and spend your days working for them and your nights dreaming of what might have been.

Now is the time to get what you want, to be what you want and to succeed in your own mind by your own standards.

Eric Thomas quote? :pac: he's some man.

Thanks for this. luckily I'm the only one pressuring myself to study :o

Just out of interest, why did you do the computers degree?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Bobking

You know Bobking, in situations like this, I ask myself: What would Stalin do?

Then I reflect and decide not to deport your family.
    I have arrived at the same conclusion.
    You can stay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

How did I miss the emo phase conversation :(

:(

peekachoo wrote: »
    :(

We need a rule; if there is a conversation about emo I need to be there...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

How did I miss the emo phase conversation :(

We'll have to let you know next time :(
    Hotale.com wrote: »
    Our teacher said that they don't have to be learned off exactly, as long as you can explain them in your own words you'll get the marks :)

Yeah but I can't even read them without falling asleep to understand them :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Ka_yl_ei_gh

When I see big long texts online I just read the the first line and the last line and hope I get the jist of it.
    I think this is why I hate comprehensions.

Aspiring wrote: »
    Eric Thomas quote?

Just out of interest, why did you do the computers degree?

I didn't hear him say it (actually I did too) but I'm sure he can have the credit. It's a necessity is the point.

Jobs, money and things. All of which I thought were more important than me.
    I wanted to be the best at something I knew I could be.
    Now I want to be the best at something I don't know I can be. The challenge and uncertainty are what I love now. The unpredictability of wood versus the predictable computer both of which can be changed to suit the person. I still like 1 and 0 and my interest is still strong so I wasn't far off but the point is that You should want to achieve your best so You will get to where you want to be.

The step now is putting all your time and effort into the next few weeks and achieving your best without slacking.
    You can only do what is in front of you and you can only get to the next step by taking this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

Can someone tell me how to fix my calculator. It's a Casio fx-83GT Plus. When I press sin48 it comes up as 1 with a full stop :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

Can someone tell me how to fix my calculator. It's a Casio fx-83GT Plus. When I press sin48 it comes up as 1 with a full stop :/

Did you try resetting it? There's instructions on the back of the yoke you slide on/off to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

Did you try resetting it? There's instructions on the back of the yoke you slide on/off to do that.

I lost that slidy thing :(

• Advertisement

I'll find mine there :p

Well, unfix it :P

Seriously, does it say 'FIX' at the top?

Shift -> Setup -> 8 -> 1 to put it back on normal mode. Or you could just reset it by pressing Shift and 9.

Shift, 9, 3, =, AC

My teacher made us learn it off in 5 th year :pac:

You press [Shift] then [9] then [1] then [=]

:)

^or 3 like she said

Casios :rolleyes:

Maybe set to 0 decimal places. .74 would round up to 1.
    Im sure you can find the manual online.

Casios are great :D I love Casios <3

product.jpg

FYP :)

I honestly think I go to one of the worst schools in the country, barely anyone goes onto 3rd level, everyone goes for the PLCs.

Is it a bad idea to not learn the trig proofs? They're so much effort...

Probably but like you can totally wing it!

• Advertisement

Probably but like you can totally wing it!

Not the manky long ones :p I'll look over the two easy ones..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

Depends what you're aiming for in maths.
    To be honest the most difficult one is proving cos(A-B) ..the rest are two-liners and common sense.

So no one seems to be helping me in the maths thread so I'm sorry to make this on-topic (although the accounting people never had a problem doing that!;)). How do you find the upper/lower quartile and IQR when given a set of values and their frequencies? :)

Wait, what trig proofs?

I know the Sine and Cosine rule proofs, what other trig proofs are there?

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Wait, what trig proofs?

I know the Sine and Cosine rule proofs, what other trig proofs are there?

There's cos(A+B), sin(A+B) and a few more...

There's 8 in total I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭Saskatchewan

I honestly think I go to one of the worst schools in the country, barely anyone goes onto 3rd level, everyone goes for the PLCs.

same story in my school

I'm interested in quality input in this thread please and the under performance of some schools is of particular interest.
    Can you write a quick post with major issues or any causes you might suspect?
    Touch.boards.ie/thread/post/90719919

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

So, what are the most important theorem's/proofs/constructions to learn? I'm sort of cramming and trying to narrow it down slightly. Need that 80% for the pass!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Yeah they're all fairly handy apart from cos(A-B)

That one's more like a theorem than a proof (length wise).

So, what are the most important theorem's/proofs/constructions to learn? I'm sort of cramming and trying to narrow it down slightly. Need that 80% for the pass!

I think root two and root three, orthocentre, circumcentre and centroid of a triangle are the only important constructions.
    Theorems 11,12 and 13
    I'm learning all the trig proofs.
    Axiom 4 is a handy, easy one to know.
    And finally coroally 6 :)

• Advertisement

How do you find the upper/lower quartile and IQR when given a set of values and their frequencies? :)

I recommend you search for the understanding in web tutorials. You have already heard or read an explanation from one perspective and it is likely fellow posters have a similar perspective then I believe you will gain a better understanding from a different perspective. Maybe one written for American or Indian children.
    This applies to all aspects of understanding and eventually insight.

Tldr; lower = (n + 1)/4 ; upper = 3(n+1)/4 ; iqr = upper - lower where near is the cumulative frequency
    These are the frequencies you read the data at and nit the answer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement