Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2014 OT v2.0 - Official Bitch & Moan thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭jazz101

Kayleigh has a sweet gig with the free room though. The lad in front of me definitely cheats. Toilets early on in every exam. I have never needed to go during exams, do people only follow you to the door? In our school they're a large enough bathroom with stalls, surely you could just bring paper in your pocket and have a look in there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

(Genuine) social anxiety is for many people a significant and long-standing problem, and impacts on **daily** function

When it's genuine it is a very serious issue, but these people have no more social anxiety than a normal person would. I mean, who doesn't have a certain amount of social anxiety? The symptoms of social anxiety are so broad that literally anyone can get diagnosed with it at this stage.

The doctor won't ever really just turn them away without offering any help, especially with this trend of getting rid of the stigma attached to mental illness these days, and there are people taking advantage of that..
    Should've tried for DARE on my colourblindness :p

You can't even get help with recognising map symbols in geography if you're colourblind, which is ridiculous :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Leaving cert doth murder sleep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Ka_yl_ei_gh

Hotale.com wrote: »
    It can affect what you can get into though.

If you apply for DARE and have some health issue like, I dunno, cystic fibrosis, you can't do medicine etc. So I'd imagine if you've some mental issue it might stop you from getting psychiatry, nursing or other stuff like this. That's what my guidance counsellor said anyway.

Yeah that makes sense, I never thought about that really. Once I heard that people who have went through mental illness before make very good psychologists, and psychiatrists. :P

Yeah that makes sense, I never thought about that really. Once I heard that people who have went through mental illness before make very good psychologists, and psychiatrists. :P

I only used that as an example, I don't know tbh :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,784 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

You can't even get help with recognising map symbols in geography if you're colourblind, which is ridiculous :rolleyes:

Believe me I know, there was a trend graph with two very similar purple/blue lines in the exam, really was a chore figuring it out:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

But in fairness, anyone who cheats isnt going to increse their grade by very much, they have to rember which questions they dont know going into the bathroom....scan through the paper and remeber which ones you dont know, they cant actually find out that much when theyre in the bathroom, if they spend too long in there itll be suspicious and times are rrecorded....and then try to remember it when they come back out....., the definition of x is........you can only find out how to calculate that using the double trap method etc......theres alot of words in that, I imagine they probably wouldnt even raise theyre grade by a percent overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭jazz101

You can't? That's weird. A lad in my school can't read that well, not dyslexic but he struggles, and he's allowed to have a teacher sit beside him at all times in the exam and read the questions to him.

(Genuine) social anxiety is for many people a significant and long-standing problem, and impacts on **daily** function.

Exam anxiety, while I know it can be a very real and serious issue for many people, and obviously if you're applying to college it's a particularly serious one, isn't really a condition which impacts on daily function outside of the brief period of exams (unless it's just a symptom of a broader underlying condition).

That said, I'm not an expert on either mental health issues or DARE, so don't take my word for it ...

Ah, I've been diagnosed with MDD. Anxiety is just a symptom, social situations don't bother me much, just walking into rooms with a lot or people sitting down or having people behind me (queuing is a nightmare haha), I used to have panic attacks going into rooms with a lot of people but, thankfully, now I just feel a little sickly. :)

Believe me I know, there was a trend graph with two very similar purple/blue lines in the exam, really was a chore figuring it out:P

You know those texts for colourblindness? I can actually see all the numbers you're meant to see if you're colourblind, but I'm not colourblind.. It's actually really weird :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

A lot of people think colourblind means seeing in black and white, it's really just not being able to distinguish one colour from a similar one is it? My friend has it with certain shades of brown/orange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

When it's genuine it is a very serious issue, but these people have no more social anxiety than a normal person would. I mean, who doesn't have a certain amount of social anxiety? The symptoms of social anxiety are so broad that literally anyone can get diagnosed with it at this stage.

The doctor won't ever really just turn them away without offering any help, especially with this trend of getting rid of the stigma attached to mental illness these days, and there are people taking advantage of that..
    I'm not arguing with you on any of that, hence why I used (genuine). ;)

I'm just saying that where it is genuine, it can have a much broader and more serious impact on someone's day-to-day functioning than exam anxiety, which is a very specific thing related to brief periods of the year.

The thing which knocks the logic a bit skew-ways though is that ofc if what you're doing is applying for a college course (with exams) on the basis of LC (exams) it becomes a much more relevant issue than in other circumstances.

I still don't think it's covered by DARE though, though the SEC will provide alternate exam centres for someone with severe exam anxiety, colleges do too, they provide supports and counselling ... it's tackled that way.

You know those texts for colourblindness? I can actually see all the numbers you're meant to see if you're colourblind, but I'm not colourblind.. It's actually really weird :p

Aha god I hate them. Not as bad as the 'what colour is this?' Game that people will inevitably play when they find out:pac:
    Aspiring wrote: »
    A lot of people think colourblind means seeing in black and white, it's really just not being able to distinguish one colour from a similar one is it? My friend has it with certain shades of brown/orange.

Yep, I've got it awful with red/green

Aspiring wrote: »

I think it's the inability to see colour and the inability to perceive colour differences?

I learned this in biology, I should remember :pac:

Yep, I've got it awful with red/green
    Osmosis, where do you live and do you drive? :pac:

How on earth did you become a mod!? :pac:

Fingal area and I'm learning :pac:

I love tea.

Tea appreciation! <3 :P

I love tea.

Tea appreciation! <3 :P

Teappreciation. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Poliana.xo

oh no

• Advertisement

Teappreciation. :D

Tea has gotten me through the leaving cert, I'm going to write a letter to Barry's Tea and thank them. :P

Poliana.xo wrote: »
    oh no

Oh yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

It's not who you know, it's who you blow. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Poliana.xo

Tea has gotten me through the leaving cert, I'm going to write a letter to Barry's Tea and thank them. :P

Yess Barry's! Nobody likes Lyons :P

And guess where Barry's is from? :rolleyes:

Why, it's a very relevant question? :p
    Ah, I'm safe enough! :D

Seriously, though, I know someone who is the same, and he would say that while ordinary traffic lights are fine, some of the multiple sets at complicated junctions with various filters etc. are (to quote himself) "a bloody nightmare!"

EDIT: Hush, Stace! :p:p

peekachoo wrote: »
    It's not who you know, it's who you blow. :pac:

Spurious and Gordon? :confused: :pac:

Ah, I'm safe enough! :D

Seriously, though, I know someone who is the same, and he would say that while ordinary traffic lights are fine, some of the multiple sets at complicated junctions with various filters etc. are (to quote himself) "a bloody nightmare!"

Aha traffic lights are grand, sure even if the colours did look the same, you always know the layout of them.

My problems are things like I can never tell when my headphones are charged because the light goes from red to green, have to ask someone every time:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Spurious and Gordon? :confused: :pac:

:P:P

• Advertisement

I'm really looking forward to college but at the same time I'm really not. :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement