Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2014 OT v2.0 - Official Bitch & Moan thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭LaughingOwl

peekachoo wrote: »
    Since were talking about foreign language songs, this is a tune :pac:

I like it, makes me think of summer, and that can't come soon enough.

Have you listened to Peter Fox? Alles Neu and Schwarz zu Blau, aw yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭LoveLamps

Please say im not the only one who feels like theyre get sweet f a done!
    In a lil over 2.5 hours i only got 4 business exam q's done

Im not prepared for exams but i just want them over with to get my life back!!

Grad night was like a taste of summer, i want more than a taste

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

LoveLamps wrote: »
    Please say im not the only one who feels like theyre get sweet f a done!
    In a lil over 2.5 hours i only got 4 business exam q's done

Im not prepared for exams but i just want them over with to get my life back!!

Grad night was like a taste of summer, i want more than a taste

It takes me around an hour and a half to study a geography section, and there's about 70 sections I'm trying to revise...

That make you feel better? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Hotale.com wrote: »
    It takes me around an hour and a half to study a geography section, and there's about 70 sections I'm trying to revise...

That make you feel better? :)

Spent so so so long learning poetry and pros and extra poetry questions for irish and i just found out that all those three sections combined are worth 15% are you kidding me the fckin listening exam is worth that much

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Spent so so so long learning poetry and pros and extra poetry questions for irish and i just found out that all those three sections combined are worth 15% are you kidding me the fckin listening exam is worth that much

15% is 15 points. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

15% is 15 points. :)

True but like IVe spent a completely disproportionate amount of time studying for those 15 points why the hell is the irish poetry,pros and option question so hard if its worth so little like

bb1234567 wrote: »
    True but like IVe spent a completely disproportionate amount of time studying for those 15 points why the hell is the irish poetry,pros and option question so hard if its worth so little like

#pass4life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Is it just me or is the weather absolutely sh*te wherever ye are? Literally been raining all day and electricity went twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

Is it just me or do leaving cert students complain when the weather is good AND when it's bad?

:D

Is it just me or do leaving cert students Irish people in general complain when the weather is good AND when it's bad?

:D

• Advertisement

thelad95 wrote: »
    Is it just me or is the weather absolutely sh*te wherever ye are? Literally been raining all day and electricity went twice.

This is perfect study weather. :D

Is there any harm in havin a few beers watching the match tonight? Wouldnt have more than 4

Using champions league as a motivator to hurry up and get stuff done by about 7

LoveLamps wrote: »
    Is there any harm in havin a few beers watching the match tonight? Wouldnt have more than 4

I considered the same, and I would say yes, there'll be harm. :P

I considered the same, and I would say yes, there'll be harm. :P

Hmmmmm..

Is 6 hours study enough to do in one day? :confused: I feel like I should be doing more!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Janeh9

Is 6 hours study enough to do in one day? :confused: I feel like I should be doing more!

Jesus, I haven't started yet at all XD

Does anyone here get calculus...? It's the one thing on the course I just can't get my head around. It is so so so mank.

Can someone clever please help me with 2012 P1 Q6? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

Graduated last night! Was an unreal night, didn't get home until about 4 30!

When I woke up this morning I could have been in the Caribbean for all I knew, but I was at my friend's fortunately! I was still wearing the suit, shoes included too! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

Does anyone here get calculus...? It's the one thing on the course I just can't get my head around. It is so so so mank.

Can someone clever please help me with 2012 P1 Q6? :pac:

The trick for that q is knowing the chain rule-
    If y = e^{f(x)}
    Then dy/dx will be e^{f(x)} x f'(x)
    So basically just multiply the expression by the derivative of what's in the power brackets :o

So for e^{-.5x^2}
    dy/dx is e^{-.5x^2} x {-x} which is -xe^{-.5x^2}
    d2y/dx^2 is -xe^{-.5x^2} times {-x}, which simplifies to the given eqn

Then for part two, you need to find the point for which d2y/dx^2 = 0 (Because it's a point of inflection)
    Then sub those points back into f(x) which gives you the point P
    Then you find the slope at P, so sub the x value into dy/dx

Now you have the slope and a point, so the rest should be ok, just formulate the eqn and find the coordinates for the x intercept

Hope that helps a bit :o

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lara_15

accounting people, how likely is a 100mk farm account?? I dont plan on doing the 60mk questions and I wanna know if I'm being too risky leaving them out?

• Advertisement

Lara_15 wrote: »
    accounting people, how likely is a 100mk farm account?? I dont plan on doing the 60mk questions and I wanna know if I'm being too risky leaving them out?

It's possible, but not at all likely

aleatorio wrote: »
    The trick for that q is knowing the chain rule-
    If y = e^{f(x)}
    Then dy/dx will be e^{f(x)} x f'(x)
    So basically just multiply the expression by the derivative of what's in the power brackets :o

So for e^{-.5x^2}
    dy/dx is e^{-.5x^2} x {-x} which is -xe^{-.5x^2}
    d2y/dx^2 is -xe^{-.5x^2} times {-x}, which simplifies to the given eqn

Then for part two, you need to find the point for which d2y/dx^2 = 0 (Because it's a point of inflection)
    Then sub those points back into f(x) which gives you the point P
    Then you find the slope at P, so sub the x value into dy/dx

Now you have the slope and a point, so the rest should be ok, just formulate the eqn and find the coordinates for the x intercept

Hope that helps a bit :o

Is the bolded part something you're just meant to know or are we supposed to be able to figure it out? Our teacher never taught us the chain rule like that, he just taught us this crappy "rule of thumb" method that never seems to work...

Come on Atleti!!!!

thelad95 wrote: »
    Come on Atleti!!!!

Go away. They should be a man down :p

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭3raser10

Also search formidable. He's really amazing, current favourite of mine.
    I love formidable ps papaoute pps alors on danse :D

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭3raser10

Lara_15 wrote: »
    according to my teacher you should just know the loan plus int. & investments working in farm accounts since it can easily come up in a club or service (a bit different than the usual)

Is the bolded part something you're just meant to know or are we supposed to be able to figure it out? Our teacher never taught us the chain rule like that, he just taught us this crappy "rule of thumb" method that never seems to work...

Well, the chain rule is that when theres two functions in one expression, you derive the thing as a whole, and then derive the 'internal' function, and multiply them -
    But because this one involved e, which stays the same when derived (see log tables), you just need to multiply it by the 'internal' function

Well, the chain rule is that when theres two functions in one expression, you derive the thing as a whole, and then derive the 'internal' function, and multiply them -
    But because this one involved e, which stays the same when derived (see log tables), you just need to multiply it by the 'internal' function

What's an 'internal' function though? I feel like such a dope :pac:

What's an 'internal' function though? I feel like such a dope :pac:

Idk I cant think of a better name to call it,
    like its the part of the function thats a separate function.. So if it was (2x+1)^4, the 2x+1 is the 'internal' function, because if you replace it with say, u, its still a function -
    To solve that one;
    Replace the 2x+1 with u = u^4 - derive this = 4u^3
    Derive the 2x+1 = 2
    Then sub the u back in = 4(2x+1)^3
    And multiply it by the derivative of the 'internal' function = 4(2x+1)^3 x 2
    = 8(2x+1)^3

• Advertisement

Idk I cant think of a better name to call it,
    like its the part of the function thats a separate function.. So if it was (2x+1)^4, the 2x+1 is the 'internal' function, because if you replace it with say, u, its still a function -
    To solve that one;
    Replace the 2x+1 with u = u^4 - derive this = 4u^3
    Derive the 2x+1 = 2
    Then sub the u back in = 4(2x+1)^3
    And multiply it by the derivative of the 'internal' function = 4(2x+1)^3 x 2
    = 8(2x+1)^3

YES! Thank you soooooo much!! :D You've explained the chain rule better in one post than my teacher did in like the week we spent on it :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement