Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2014 OT v2.0 - Official Bitch & Moan thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

thelad95 wrote: »
    I think 3 texts is too much for the comparative and just leads to many people producing superficial, waffley answers. If people could concentrate on two I think it would be easier.

I think a project type thing for the comparative that you have to do before the real exam would be better than the current system, it's ridiculous in the exam in my opinion.

Although I also think they should give you a week or so to do a composition before the exam as well; I still think it's ridiculous to give you an hour and a bit to write a 1000+ word essay that you're expected to make up on the day...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

Hotale.com wrote: »
    I think a project type thing for the comparative that you have to do before the real exam would be better than the current system, it's ridiculous in the exam in my opinion.

Although I also think they should give you a week or so to do a composition before the exam as well; I still think it's ridiculous to give you an hour and a bit to write a 1000+ word essay that you're expected to make up on the day...

The strange thing about the English exam is that it expects you to be really creative. Yet, in the real world no writer in history has given themselves 1 hour to write a short story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

aleatorio wrote: »
    Ugh its horrible :( Plant reproduction was the bane of my existence until I finally sat down and spent like 3 hours learning it :o

I spent from 10 this morning until my post about it doing all the 5 chapters of it and I'm actually completely withered :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

Ugh its horrible :( Plant reproduction was the bane of my existence until I finally sat down and spent like 3 hours learning it :o

YOU hate a chapter in biology :eek::eek::eek::eek:
    I can't believe it! :pac::p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭SChique00

I feel like no teacher properly explains how you are meant to lay it out because they all say different things. We were told to have at least 8 links for a 70 marker but I thought that was a bit much.
    I think comparative is just very vague in general:rolleyes:

Well a solid introduction is the best way to start the comparative (that goes for all essays, actually); it settles your nerves as you have an outline of what you want to say and how, plus it lets the examiner know exactly what to look for and how to code your answer for marks. Just makes both your lives easier, really!

My teacher always told us to have a stock definition for each mode, and to start the essay by
    (a) naming the texts and giving your abbreviations
    (b) define whatever mode you're answering on (so if it's theme/issue, state the theme/issue you're dealing with, if it's gv and v then say what that is in your own words, etc.)
    (c) outlining your three key points

I feel sorry for all you guys whose teachers are fuzzy on the comparative. I think it's the best part of the English course, but that's all down to the way I've been taught by my teacher (he's awesome) :o

• Advertisement

robman60 wrote: »
    The strange thing about the English exam is that it expects you to be really creative. Yet, in the real world no writer in history has given themselves 1 hour to write a short story.

That's why doing the short story is a sh*t idea. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭SChique00

peekachoo wrote: »
    I spent from 10 this morning until my post about it doing all the 5 chapters of it and I'm actually completely withered :pac:

Same here! Did all the past paper questions on it and that's only served to reinforce my plan to avoid it like the plague if it appears in section C! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

peekachoo wrote: »
    :pac::pac::pac:
    YOU hate a chapter in biology :eek::eek::eek::eek:
    I can't believe it! :pac::p

Hahahah I hate plant science.. Tis so boring.. Hence why I want to do a course in college specific to HUMANS :o:rolleyes:
    Find it amusing that Ive built up a reputation here of being like 'Biology girl' :pac::pac::cool:

Dat thread title :)

Find it amusing that Ive built up a reputation here of being like 'Biology girl' :pac::pac::cool:

more like 'every subject girl'
    i.e. 'A nerd'
    i.e. '625 girl'

shall I go on? :p

• Advertisement

more like 'every subject girl'
    i.e. 'A nerd'
    i.e. '625 girl'

shall I go on? :p

Hahahah Im not though! :P
    Irish and English make me want to cry, and business melts my brain :pac:

Has anyone else got their graduation next Thursday? :D

Yep, can't wait for the mass, highlight of my year.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lara_15

Yep...Are people going out after the mass, a few from my school are and I can't decide if its a good idea or not :/

Lara_15 wrote: »
    Yep...Are people going out after the mass, a few from my school are and I can't decide if its a good idea or not :/

In my school the night out is the highlight of the whole thing, the ceremony is only about 45 minutes long :P :P

Hahahah Im not though! :P
    Irish and English make me want to cry, and business melts my brain :pac:

It's pretty mean having it on a Thursday! Ours is on next Friday. I'm so excited for it! Last proper social event before the 17th of June for me!

It's pretty mean having it on a Thursday! Ours is on next Friday. I'm so excited for it! Last proper social event before the 17th of June for me!

Why so? Its not like we've got school the next day or anything, noone goes in after the grad :o

I never go out drinking really but I think I will that night because I've some friends in school I'll probably barely see after the leaving..

I'd say go, worst thing that can happen is that you won't enjoy it :P

Why so? Its not like we've got school the next day or anything, noone goes in after the grad :o

Well it depends where you live I suppose. It's always quiet on week nights in town so there wouldn't be a great atmosphere if you go out afterwards. If you live in a city or busy town, it doesn't matter which day you have it really.

Well it depends where you live I suppose. It's always quiet on week nights in town so there wouldn't be a great atmosphere if you go out afterwards. If you live in a city or busy town, it doesn't matter which day you have it really.

I do live in a quiet town but we have the local club rented out and were going with other local schools :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I do live in a quiet town but we have the local club rented out and were going with other local schools :pac:

I'm sorry but as someone from a big town with numerous nightclubs that sounds so culchie-like.. :P

• Advertisement

I'm sorry but as someone from a big town with numerous nightclubs that sounds so culchie-like.. :P

Oh I'm a total culchie :D
    Except for the fact I grew up in Dublin :pac:

Except for the fact I grew up in Dublin :pac:

I'm sorry :(

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Hotale.com wrote: »
    The amount of cramming I'm gonna do for chemistry in the next five weeks will be ridiculous.

"The amount of cramming I'm gonna do for chemistry in the next five hours will be ridiculous."

Quote from me on June 17 at 9am :)

In fairness tho, it must be some feeling having your last exam before chemistry on the 11th/12th. Almost a whole week to learn it exclusively.. :(

marno21 wrote: »
    "The amount of cramming I'm gonna do for chemistry in the next five hours will be ridiculous."

Quote from me on June 17 at 9am :)

In fairness tho, it must be some feeling having your last exam before chemistry on the 11th/12th. Almost a whole week to learn it exclusively.. :(

I'm finished my honours subjects on the 9th. :P

8 days to study chemistry exclusively. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭LoveLamps

Im doing OL irish and maths and whilst i am counting maths for points i think on the run up and night before those exams ill study french/accounting/physics/business

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

I think 3 texts is too much for the comparative and just leads to many people producing superficial, waffley answers. If people could concentrate on two I think it would be easier.

Well, that's what the part a and b questions offer - I find it nice to be able to do 1984 on it's own for isolation.

Yeah I'm debating it too, we all go to the local pub afterwards, but like, I don't really see an opportunity to knock some cheap drink down before heading out to town - I'd have to spend a fortune to be somewhat sociable :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Think everybody's going out from my school.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭LoveLamps

Same here. The whole year (including all the weirdos who dont go out) are going to the local pub with some teachers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

LoveLamps wrote: »
    Same here. The whole year (including all the weirdos who dont go out) are going to the local pub with some teachers

Don't know how many teachers will go out with us. Loads of them live far away so that would kinda be a problem.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement