Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2014 OT v2.0 - Official Bitch & Moan thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Do we get our cao offers the same day as the first round of points for courses comes out or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Yes, the offers go up on the system on Monday 18th August, normally at 6 a.m. (and the whole country tries to log on in the same 60 seconds and floods the system and it gets massive lag and everybody complains that the CAO should upgrade their servers so that it won't lag even though that's the only 5 minutes in the year where it ever comes under that massive pressure!!)

It's the offers which determine the points cutoffs overall, really, even though at an individual level we're more used to thinking of it as the cutoffs determining whether an *individual* gets an offer, so they are published in that morning's papers ... so if the papers come out early in certain parts of the country, or they put up the online version, you can sometimes get a sneak preview of what the cutoffs are and gauge whether you got an offer.

This can make it worse though for the people who have say 380 points, and discover at 4 a.m that the cutoff for their desired course is 380* ... i.e. it has gone to random selection, and only SOME at 380 will get an offer. That ramps up the stress even more!!!

Ohhhh never knew that asterisk meant it was random from people with those points, thought it meant only those with more suitable subjects for the course :o yeah usually I see the offers in the paper wasn't sure if we got our offers before or after then, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭MacBizzle

This can make it worse though for the people who have say 380 points, and discover at 4 a.m that the cutoff for their desired course is 380* ... i.e. it has gone to random selection, and only SOME at 380 will get an offer. That ramps up the stress even more!!!

I would actually shít myself if I saw that for my course....

MacBizzle wrote: »

"Did you get the points for your course?"
    -"Ah yeah I did"
    "Well done you must be delighted!"
    -"Asterisk, I didn't get in"
    "Oh.."

• Advertisement

Aspiring wrote: »
    "Did you get the points for your course?"
    -"Ah yeah I did"
    "Well done you must be delighted!"
    -"Asterisk, I didn't get in"
    "Oh.."

It really would be cruel, imagine if you did like loads of work and got the points, and another guy did nothing and got the same and he ended up getting the course :rolleyes:

It really would be cruel, imagine if you did like loads of work and got the points, and another guy did nothing and got the same and he ended up getting the course :rolleyes:

That's really the CAO points system in a nutshell tho :pac:

Ah well, hopefully none of us will have to worry about this and we'll all get our courses ;)

It's really not a nice position to be in, I'm always sorry for people in that one as they wait.

Which is why in a way it would be better if no points info "leaked" before the actual offers were out; at the same time, you can't blame people for trying to get their hands on the points ASAP.

Ofc, the sensible thing would be to go to bed and get up the next morning at your leisure and check your CAO offer; but I understand perfectly that it's damn hard to be sensible about it!
    Nothing much you can ever do about that though; there will always be people who do better with less work ... and others who work far harder than you, and do less well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

So CAO offers are sent out at 6AM? Do most people get up at this time to check/accept theirs so that they're guaranteed a spot? Daaaaaamn.

So CAO offers are sent out at 6AM?
    Yes, to try and stop everyone logging on in the same 60 seconds. It never really stops them tbh! :pac:
    Do most people get up at this time to check/accept theirs so that they're guaranteed a spot? Daaaaaamn.
    Some set alarms and get up, but a lot of people seem to stay up all night as far as I can see. And a few sensible ones sleep through it and log on at 8 or 9 (or 12 or 1!) :D

There's no accepting to guarantee a spot needed though, you have a week to accept your offer, and it won't disappear in the meantime!

It's nerves, it's all nerves and just not being able to wait any longer! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Yes, to try and stop everyone logging on in the same 60 seconds. It never really stops them tbh! :pac:

Some set alarms and get up, but a lot of people seem to stay up all night as far as I can see. And a few sensible ones sleep through it and log on at 8 or 9 (or 12 or 1!) :D

There's no accepting to guarantee a spot needed though, you have a week to accept your offer, and it won't disappear in the meantime!

It's nerves, it's all nerves and just not being able to wait any longer! ;)

Ahh, thought it was a first come first served kind of thing for people who got offered places! Guess I'll be one of the lazy ones and log on at 1 :pac: if I'm able to sleep that night....

Ahh, thought it was a first come first served kind of thing for people who got offered places!
    Oh good lord! The system has its flaws and imperfections, but it wasn't actually designed by the Marquis de Sade yanno!

Can you just imagine:
    Hey, I know what we'll do!! We'll let them work their butts off to get their points, and then, if we have 100 places on a course, we'll offer 300 of them (who get over X amount of points) a place, and the first 100 to accept get them!!

1562.jpg
    There would be absolute war!! :pac:

(And rightly so!)
    ... if I'm able to sleep that night....
    NOW you're seeing the problem.

Chat you at 4 a.m on the 18th (probably!) :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

I'm not going to brag about finishing the leaving cert because I feel bad for all of the rest of you who are not finished so I won't mention the fact that I am free from exams/books/study and now have I'll have a life.

You're welcome ;)

Haha jk jk :P Best of luck to the rest of you in till Friday! Put in as much effort as you can so you'll have no regrets!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

People were saying it's an anti-climax when you actually finish, but I thought it lived up to expectation. Spent the evening after Chemistry with a bunch of classmates in a park, playing football and drinking caaaaans.

Nursing a bit of a hangover, but summer was worth the wait. :cool:

It actually feels like Majorca outside...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Ka_yl_ei_gh

It is actually feels like Majorca outside...

And it is horrible.

Worst thing about this weather is, it's too hot for tea. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

And it is horrible.

Worst thing about this weather is, it's too hot for tea. :(

It's NEVER too hot for tea

NEVER.

a0ifee wrote: »
    It's NEVER too hot for tea

Tea in this weather, I think I'd overheat.

Tea in this weather, I think I'd overheat.

Put in more milk...?

• Advertisement

Put in more milk...?

Might as well put in ice! #icedtea :P

Might as well put in ice! #icedtea :P

That is actually lovely... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

if I was in the Sahara and some one offered me tea I would take it :P it's an addiction

I could go for some ice tea now tho...

That is actually lovely... :P

I've never actually had it, first thing I'll do on Friday! :P

I've never actually had it, first thing I'll do on Friday! :P

How have you not had ice tea!? :eek: It's so nice in hot weather :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Ah jaysis I hate when people complain about the heat, get outside and enjoy the little bit of summer while we have it :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭Saskatchewan

McIlroy representing Ireland at the Olympic games! We'll gave some line up for it!

How have you not had ice tea!? :eek: It's so nice in hot weather :D

I've always wanted to try it but then forgot :pac: Yeah, I'd imagine, nice and cold :P

peekachoo wrote: »
    Ah jaysis I hate when people complain about the heat, get outside and enjoy the little bit of summer while we have it :cool:

Life is so much better without a headache though :P

• Advertisement

DCG time :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement