Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2014 OT v2.0 - Official Bitch & Moan thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Poliana.xo

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Just so you all know, only about 9% of students get 500+ points in the leaving cert. Only 0.1% get 600-625. So just to put things into perspective :) Average score across the country is 330. About 30% of students get between 400-500.

no no I want to unsee this :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Sort of glad that my course is only 440, but then realise it went up by 30 last year and sort of bricking it now. Last week of cramming!!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

Sort of glad that my course is only 440, but then realise it went up by 30 last year and sort of bricking it now. Last week of cramming!!

My course went up by 70 points, and yet, for some reason I feel as though it will drop this year...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Dazza

Bis in cork ? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

Just so you all know, only about 9% of students get 500+ points in the leaving cert. Only 0.1% get 600-625. So just to put things into perspective :) Average score across the country is 330. About 30% of students get between 400-500.

The 9% over 500 doesn't include bonus points for maths though. That would probably put the actual figure at closer to 15% with 500+ as there are quite a few who get around 510-520 counting maths.

I also don't think you're accurate saying 0.1% get 600-625. Of a cohort of 55000, that would mean only 55 people would get points in that bracket and approximately 150 people got 625 last year as far as I remember. I recall reading that 0.3% of people got the full 625 in 2013.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

robman60 wrote: »
    The 9% over 500 doesn't include bonus points for maths though. That would probably put the actual figure at closer to 15% with 500+ as there are quite a few who get around 510-520 counting maths.

I also don't think you're accurate saying 0.1% get 600-625. Of a cohort of 55000, that would mean only 55 people would get points in that bracket and approximately 150 people got 625 last year as far as I remember. I recall reading that 0.3% of people got the full 625 in 2013.

Isn't 600-625 only counted as 600 though?

Badwulf wrote: »
    My course went up by 70 points, and yet, for some reason I feel as though it will drop this year...

If mine goes down this year...I don't even know what I'd do
    Dazza wrote: »
    Bis in cork ? :P

Yup, sure is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

People here saying.they need 400/500 points. The course I want to do is 270

Hotale.com wrote: »
    Isn't 600-625 only counted as 600 though?
    No, it's counted out of 625 now. I don't see why it wouldn't be.

You're set for any course with 600 though so I guess it doesn't really matter after that.

No, it's counted out of 625 now. I don't see why it wouldn't be.

You're set for any course with 600 though so I guess it doesn't really matter after that.

I was nearly sure that you couldn't get more than 600.. I don't think that's something I'll be worrying about anyway :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

aleatorio wrote: »
    Anybody else here need really high points for their course? Im sick of listening to people telling me that Ill be fine, and that anything over 500 is great and I should be greatful for what I get, but thats such bull****!! Ill be happy if I get my first choice, and I dont care if, say, 470 is brilliant to them, if I got that Id be heartbroken because its 100 points less than what I need!
    Does anybody else have to deal with this sort of ignorance? Its doing my head in being told 'ah sure you'll do brilliant anyway, stop giving out that you didn't get an A in such and such subject' ><
    As a repeat, I get "sure you know it all already you should be getting 6 a1s" or "sure you learned that in 5th year" ... As if a 5 page long history essay that I learned 2 years ago is still in my brain :(

Nearly there guys :) head down it'll come and go quickly try your hardest but get some sleep too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

oncex wrote: »
    As a repeat, I get "sure you know it all already you should be getting 6 a1s" or "sure you learned that in 5th year" ... As if a 5 page long history essay that I learned 2 years ago is still in my brain :(

Nearly there guys :) head down it'll come and go quickly try your hardest but get some sleep too

There's a lad in my year repeating but he hasn't done any work at all this year and got something like 40 points in the mocks. Dunno why he bothered repeating then didn't put in the work.

I admire anyone who does repeat though, fair play to you hope you get the results you want and deserve this year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Idk I looked it up
    this is what it said
    Candidates scoring 600 points : 176 ( 0.3%)
    Candidates scoring from 500 - 599 : 4,267 ( 8.4%)
    Candidates scoring from 400 - 499 : 11,039 ( 21.7%)
    Candidates scoring from 300 - 399 : 12,560 ( 24.7%)
    Candidates scoring from 200 - 299 : 9,645 ( 19.0%)
    Candidates scoring from 100 - 199 : 7,477 ( 14.7%)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Guys, what are you supposed to write on people's yearbooks?

Obviously, I'll have to write something personal for close friends but I'm talking about people that you're not really best friends with...I just don't know what to write on them but they insist I sign them.

Aspiring wrote: »
    There's a lad in my year repeating but he hasn't done any work at all this year and got something like 40 points in the mocks. Dunno why he bothered repeating then didn't put in the work.

I admire anyone who does repeat though, fair play to you hope you get the results you want and deserve this year :)

Parents probably made him repeat!

Nimrod 7 wrote: »

Obviously, I'll have to write something personal for close friends but I'm talking about people that you're not really best friends with...I just don't know what to write on them but they insist I sign them.

"I always thought you were a wanker"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

Aspiring wrote: »

Thank you :)
    Ya I've seen loads of people on boards who say they haven't worked this year but they'll def work next year :/ doesn't work like that, you still have to be a hard working student, a lot of independent learning(teaching self poets/sraith pictiurs etc)
    Saying that, it's not the worst year in the world, so if it doesn't work out I would advise people tokeep it as an option. I'm really glad I didn't settle for a course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

I just wrote 'Good luck and have a great summer!' in 99% of them :rolleyes:

We got ours just before heading out on the sauce for grad night, so we didn't do any of that (still had to pay €10 for it). Instead, we all signed names on our school shirts!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Hotale.com wrote: »
    "I always thought you were a wanker"

I'm not writing that!

Not on all of them, anyway.
    We got ours just before heading out on the sauce for grad night, so we didn't do any of that (still had to pay €10 for it). Instead, we all signed names on our school shirts!

We only got them in after grad and it was €20 :p

Do you not have to wear your uniform during the LC?
    aleatorio wrote: »
    I just wrote 'Good luck and have a great summer!' in 99% of them :rolleyes:

I might have to resort to that.

• Advertisement

We only got them in after grad and it was €20 :p

Do you not have to wear your uniform during the LC?

Was thinking schools would give em as a grad present...y'know, for all those years in school and paying them a compulsory voluntary contribution every year..

yeah, we gotta wear uniform..probably just find an old white shirt around :P

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭LoveLamps

We dont wear uniforms for the LC
    Cant wait to wear shorts everyday.. #freedom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭Kyro

Studying starts tomorrow.

Alarm set for 6AM.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

i've seen horror films less scary than this post :(

What's everyone's study plan for the week? Can any of the repeats make recommendations about how to stay disciplined? I really did nothing today because I'm a politics nerd.

I know the exams are looming ominously but it just doesn't seem like a big deal any more for some reason!

What's everyone's study plan for the week? Can any of the repeats make recommendations about how to stay disciplined? I really did nothing today because I'm a politics nerd.

I know the exams are looming ominously but it just doesn't seem like a big deal any more for some reason!

I am also at the point where I couldn't even be bothered, but know I should be. As regards study plans, hitting maths paper 1 solid! Gotta get my head around it and then onto languages/Macbeth/comparative then just learn that stuff!

G E O G R A P H Y .

That is literally my plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭LoveLamps

Accounting lads this is what im doing
    Short: control, suspense, cadhflow, revaluation, farm, service
    Long: cashflow, suspense, service, q5, q8

Reckon im covered?

Tomorrow Im doing geography, poetry and some macbeth. Maybe some maths a bit later in the day

• Advertisement

Anyone else think Macbeth is simple to study? Definitely my favourite part of English!

I love it :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement